Rare Or Disqualifed Colours In Breeds.

poodlefan

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That brindle pug is gorgeous!!!!!!

Really? I've never liked the colouring in any dog really.

[/color][/size][/font]

:laugh: Ah, well colouring is a personal thing, of course, and I know plenty of people who don't like brindle, but being a greyhound person we see a lot of that colour so we get used to it pretty quickly! :D Plus for me, my first greyhound (and a very special boy he was) was brindle, which makes me all the more partial to that colour. Funny thing is, when I first bought him I proudly sent a photo to my mother, and her reply was "Oh, one of those ugly stripy ones!"...I was crushed! I thought he was gorgeous! :rofl:

I've never heard of health problems with non-solid colours (eg,brindle). I think its mighty sad that the snowflake Lab seems to have gone from rare to extinct. Colour is so trivial compared to the other things we're supposed to look after in the breed standard.

I always think having colour requirements in the standard is a pity unless it causes heath problems. Otherwise I wish all colours were accepted. It seems such a shame that healthy dogs are put down because their colour doesn't fit the standard.

It goes both ways I think. There are proven ailments and conditions that only attack dogs which carry certain dilute colour genes. Common sense would say that these should be removed first.

The sable collie and the mismarked labs are stunning!!! :rofl:

Does anyone know if this is a rare-coloured border collie, or am I mistaking it for a different breed altogether?

r0pe9f.jpg

This would be a choc tri BC. Not a recognised colour in Australia (is recognised in the rest of the world), but certainly not rare since it WILL be produced when 2 recognised colours are bred together. Unrecognised colours are becoming less & less rare in BC's as so many strive to breed them.

I have two unusual coloured greyhounds. Woody is solid Dun, and Coconut is White and Dun Brindle.

Only around one in every three thousand greyhounds born is dun, and it is an allowable colour.

Dun isn't so much a colour, but a gene that turns black hair into brown, similar to the dilution gene that gives you a blue dog, but different. I suspect that Woody also might have that dilution gene as well as the Dun gene, as he is such a washed out colour.

Coco's brown markings are a rich chocolate brindle stripe over fawn. She is mostly white with brown ticking. Her nose is a plum brown sort of colour. Woody is a dusky taupe, with a slightly darker nose. Both have brown lips, and no black pigment. His coat is a bit like a weim and a bit like a brown kelpie.

The dun's are gorgeous Greytmate :eek: They are so uncommon, its quite funny that you ended up with 2! :rofl: I am yet to see one in the flesh.

Wow, some of those dogs are stunning. I love the long haired Rotti (absolutely stunning), the different coloured GSDs, the chocolate Great Dane, the B&T Ridgie, the blue long haired Wei, the B&T lab, the stunning brown Munsters, the sable BC, the white Keeshond all gorgeous and all dogs I'd buy. :rofl:

a red rottweiler

That doesn't look purebred to me :rofl:

There are a few dogs in this topic where I suspect this might be the case.

Colour genetics is so fascinating. I love the way my dog's colours were hidden for many generations. All Dun greyhounds have a double cross of a dog called Rocket Jet, a black stud dog that lived in Australia in the 50's. That indicates he was carrying a single dun gene (not expressed) and no other breeding greyhound in the world did at that time. If not for the success of that single dog, the colour would have become completely extinct.

But Dun is a recessive, and it can be hidden indefinitely within a breed. Not like Brindle.

You never know, in fifty years time Dun may not be a rare colour in greyhounds at all. Just depends on whether any of them are lucky to get the 'good racer' genes along with the Dun ones, and then lucky enough to be prepotent breeders. My two were not that lucky and have been desexed. :eek:

The dun's are gorgeous Greytmate :laugh: They are so uncommon, its quite funny that you ended up with 2! :rofl: I am yet to see one in the flesh.

Well I searched for that colour for a long time. And then because of some slight confusion, I ended up with two. :eek: