Rare Dog Breeds

poodlefan

Yes, there are now Portuguese Podengos in Australia - just down the road from me :( Their first show is in January :champagne:

Theres a lovely lady round the NSW show rings with ridges who owns a little Podengo, such a cute little mite this one!

Rare (not many owners on the boards) but not super rare

Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen....aka PBGV or heeby geeby!

23674214.jpg

I love these little guys.

I saw puppies recently at a show and just fell in love with them

I know totally cute! The guy above belongs to my mum! I will be getting one...one day! For now im happy with the pugs and pointees!

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the look of these guys. Porcelaine dogs.

I just bought a dog encyclopedia from dymocks and it seems to have all the rare breeds, its awesome.

I've got a dog book with all the FCI recognised breeds. I like quite a few of the rarer European hunting dogs.

I wish we had Picardy Spaniels here.

45_e2661cfa0302b3af28c345853581b32c.jpg

Great thread! The Picardy Spaniel looks a nice dog. Off to google them.

I love the look of these guys. Porcelaine dogs.

I just bought a dog encyclopedia from dymocks and it seems to have all the rare breeds, its awesome.

I've got a dog book with all the FCI recognised breeds. I like quite a few of the rarer European hunting dogs.

I wish we had Picardy Spaniels here.

45_e2661cfa0302b3af28c345853581b32c.jpg

Wow, what an amazing looking dog!

Podengo - just love these little chaps! They come in Small, Medium and large. National dog of Portugal. Did I read somewhere they may be coming to Oz sometime soon?

Not sure if I've uploaded pics, but I tried.....

I'd never heard of Podengos. But they're so cute! Interesting that they're the national dog of Portugal.

There's also a small dog breed in Malta (no, not the familiar Maltese) that I've heard about. It's not the national dog there...the Pharaoh Hound is.

Must try find.

My favourite rare breed is the Damchi of Bhutan. Slightly like the Tibetan Spaniel from nearby Tibet, but a bit bigger, not quite so 'toy' looking. Bhutan is protective of its culture which would include their dog breed, the King owns a Damchi and they appear on stamps. I'd love, tho', to see Damchis brought to Australia. I believe some Europeans (Germany?) have imported Damchis.

post-3304-1288839736_thumb.jpg

Glen of Imaal Terrier - there is one breed profile listed on Dogzonline, so I think they could be classed as rare, in Australia at least.

GlenofImaal.jpg

Ah yes, I'd love a glen. They're the only Irish terrier breed I've not owned. A pair, I think, would be good.

I'm a bit of a sucker for the Bluetick Coonhound. I can remember meeting one years ago at the Parkes show, he was just spectating that night.

post-4363-1288840570_thumb.jpg

There used to be a Bluetick living in Jerrabomberra when I lived over that way. The owner nearly fell over when I asked him if that's what it was.

I like the look of the Redbones but not sure I'd want to live with a dog that bays. All Coonhounds are noted for their good temperament.

redbone-coonhound-dog-breed.jpg

Found the small dog breed of Malta. Kelb tal-But, translates as Pocket Dog.

Might have been brought to Malta by the Carthaginians around 700 BC. The Kelb tal-But, has become a common sight in Maltese villages ever since one can remember. It has been a Maltese tradition to breed them.

Most of the best dogs are Black in colour but Tans and Chocolates are quite popular.

The Kelf tal-But appears on Maltese stamps.

post-3304-1288841080_thumb.jpg

I want these as soon as they are registered in the FCI :(

Tsvetnaya Bolonka

I'm getting some of these too, I wonder if the ANKC will even consider accepting them before FCI recognition

If they are recognised by the CC of their country of origin that's enough isn't it? Where are they from?

I'm a bit of a sucker for the Bluetick Coonhound. I can remember meeting one years ago at the Parkes show, he was just spectating that night.

There used to be a Bluetick living in Jerrabomberra when I lived over that way. The owner nearly fell over when I asked him if that's what it was.

I like the look of the Redbones but not sure I'd want to live with a dog that bays. All Coonhounds are noted for their good temperament.

The one I met was called Jed or Jethro, it was a lovely redneck name :(

The baying would probably do my head in

Edited by ReadySetGo

The Xoloitzcuintle.... though I have no idea how to say the name, I used to dream of having one as a child.... can't remember why, think just because they are different, but there wasn't any in Oz then and only one Reg breeder on here now.... Im guessing from their prefix its someone who posts here :(

1198061214xoloitzcuintli-1.jpg