Rare Dog Breeds

poodlefan

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Silken Windhounds- They were developed by crossing Borzois with Whippets, I am not sure why anybody would want to bastardize two such nice breeds though :laugh:

A lot of photo's I have seen of them show very different types within the breed, very much like a Lurcher I feel.

post-28340-1288844514_thumb.jpg

Edited by Robbi

The Xoloitzcuintle.... though I have no idea how to say the name, I used to dream of having one as a child.... can't remember why, think just because they are different, but there wasn't any in Oz then and only one Reg breeder on here now.... Im guessing from their prefix its someone who posts here :laugh:

1198061214xoloitzcuintli-1.jpg

wazzat is the breeder and the dogs are even more stunning in the flesh :nahnah:

pronounce show-low-eats-qweent-lee

The Xoloitzcuintle.... though I have no idea how to say the name, I used to dream of having one as a child.... can't remember why, think just because they are different, but there wasn't any in Oz then and only one Reg breeder on here now.... Im guessing from their prefix its someone who posts here :nahnah:

1198061214xoloitzcuintli-1.jpg

That would Wassat. :rofl::cry: ;) ;) ;)

Recognized 01/07/2010 :laugh:

Silken Windhounds- They were developed by crossing Borzois with Whippets, I am not sure why anybody would want to bastardize two such nice breeds though :laugh:

A lot of photo's I have seen of them show very different types within the breed, very much like a Lurcher I feel.

There's Shetland Sheepdog in the mix too. The breed is affected by CEA.

There's Shetland Sheepdog in the mix too. The breed is affected by CEA.

I think there's at least two (possibly three) types that are trying to be recognised as new breeds. Silken windhound and silken windsprite aka longhaired whippet, that has sheltie in it. Not sure if I've got that right, it's all very confusing and contentious in whippet circles because of the way Walter Wheeler insisted there was a long hair gene in whippets and he just bred with it. There's never been longhaired whippets, wire haired, yes, and even today you see some whippets with quite harsh coats, which by the way is a fault. Walter Wheeler also bred shelties and I dont think genetic testing was around when he was doing his shonky breeding but it's all been proven now. There are still those who insist he just used whippets though.

at least the silken windhound people were up front about crossing breeds though.

Would anyone like to hunt up a picture of a Catahoula Leopard Dog and a Murray River Curly Coatedc Retriever

(sorry I really don't know how to do pictures yet)

Catahoula Leopard

catahoula.jpg

Murray River Curly Coated Retriever. I think this are DOLer (or former DOLer) DMentias's dogs. I'd love to see this breed get ANKC recognition.

homepage.jpg?type=sn

Edited by poodlefan

These are five hound breeds from former Yugoslavia. I don't think there are any outside the Balkans.

Serbian tri-colour hound

imagesCASKBCRF.jpg

Serbian hound

imagesCA6XL2KC.jpg

Istrian hound

untitled.jpg

Posavaz hound

untitled2.jpg

Montenegrin mountain hound

untitled-1.jpg

Edited by felix