Rare Dog Breeds

poodlefan

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Found the small dog breed of Malta. Kelb tal-But, translates as Pocket Dog.

Might have been brought to Malta by the Carthaginians around 700 BC. The Kelb tal-But, has become a common sight in Maltese villages ever since one can remember. It has been a Maltese tradition to breed them.

Most of the best dogs are Black in colour but Tans and Chocolates are quite popular.

The Kelf tal-But appears on Maltese stamps.

post-3304-1288841080_thumb.jpg

Where did you find the reference?

Do you ever think sometimes we are being "had"? Out of interest I called my father who is born in Malta and immigrated with his family as a teenager. He had never heard of them before, he thought I was talking about female dogs! And the Pharaoh Hound he says he has only ever seen in books. laugh.gif Sometimes I do wonder...

Now that the dog genome has been mapped, it suggests very strongly that many of the so-called ancient breeds are phenotypically similar to past dogs but are not genetically related.

I like:

post-31284-0-19716800-1336822989_thumb.jpg

Hovawart. There are none (breeding dogs) in Aus as far as I know

I also like the German Spitz (mittel), we had a really cute one in at work the other day. He also had a lovely temperament, although I was told that they are all not as nice???

post-31284-0-90963400-1336823107_thumb.jpg

Edited by aussielover

I like:

post-31284-0-19716800-1336822989_thumb.jpg

Hovawart. There are none (breeding dogs) in Aus as far as I know

There is a Hovawart that comes to our dog park, shes beautiful :heart: The last I spoke to her owner, he was importing 2 more bitches as his current Bitch is 9 years old :)

I want a German Huntng Terrier (Deutscher Jagdterrier)

5f35cef3.jpg

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Jagdterrier

I love them. Always have, always will.

It absolutely sh*** me though that they are in the terrier group, thus excluded from Gundog-only events.Excluded from the exact thing they were bred for.And they are a lot more versatile than other gundogs: small enough to go in burrows, they retrieve up to 1.5-2 times their weight ( by dragging if it's too big), they flush, they track, they point...... and they are the only breed that is fearless (makes socialization super important)They will take on huge boars if told to do so and not stop until called off (or being killed)In the 1980s and 1990s all forest men and hunters in Germany I knew have gotten one or more of these guys in preference to Münsterländers, pointers, etc.Never even heard of ne German forester or hunter who used a lab or Goldie.......

*rolls eyes*Thanks ANKC for putting THE ultimate Gundog in the terrier group, only because it has 'terrier' in the name. :(

Edited by Blossom78

*rolls eyes*Thanks ANKC for putting THE ultimate Gundog in the terrier group, only because it has 'terrier' in the name. :(

Just saw this. I think the poster can thank the FCI for doing it first. I think this breed has a few more terrier characteristics than its name too.