Rare Dog Breeds

poodlefan

Talk of the Azawakh in the colours thread led me to start one here for pics of rare (to this country or others) dog breeds. As far as I've heard there's only one Azawakh here. I think the breed's temperament is a bit different to sighthounds most of us know as they perform a protection function in addition to hunting?

Anywhoo - here's one for Monah. Bracco Italiano - love these and there would only be a handful here. They are ANKC recognised.

bracco-italiano-1.jpg

Post em up folks. Wazzat should definitely add some!!

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heaps of breed I'd love to post, but I don't have any pics of my own. I await with interest. :(

Feel free to Google - its what I'm doing. :champagne:

Podengo - just love these little chaps! They come in Small, Medium and large. National dog of Portugal. Did I read somewhere they may be coming to Oz sometime soon?

Not sure if I've uploaded pics, but I tried.....

Glen of Imaal Terrier - there is one breed profile listed on Dogzonline, so I think they could be classed as rare, in Australia at least.

GlenofImaal.jpg

Small Munsterlander - not sure if there are any in Australia.

SmallM.jpg

Edit Should work now!

Edited by Henrietta

Small Munsterlander - not sure if there are any in Australia.

SmallM.jpg

Edit Should work now!

Small Munsterlanders are not a registered breed here in Aus or in the UK. They are on the continent.

Large Munsterlanders aren't even recognised in the USA but are recognised almost everywhere else. :(

I love the look of these guys. Porcelaine dogs.

I just bought a dog encyclopedia from dymocks and it seems to have all the rare breeds, its awesome.

I've got a dog book with all the FCI recognised breeds. I like quite a few of the rarer European hunting dogs.

I wish we had Picardy Spaniels here.

45_e2661cfa0302b3af28c345853581b32c.jpg

Yes, there are now Portuguese Podengos in Australia - just down the road from me :( Their first show is in January :champagne:

Theres a lovely lady round the NSW show rings with ridges who owns a little Podengo, such a cute little mite this one!

Rare (not many owners on the boards) but not super rare

Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen....aka PBGV or heeby geeby!

23674214.jpg

Yes, there are now Portuguese Podengos in Australia - just down the road from me :( Their first show is in January :champagne:

Theres a lovely lady round the NSW show rings with ridges who owns a little Podengo, such a cute little mite this one!

Rare (not many owners on the boards) but not super rare

Petit Basset Griffon Vendeen....aka PBGV or heeby geeby!

23674214.jpg

I love these little guys.

I saw puppies recently at a show and just fell in love with them