Rare Dog Breeds

poodlefan

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am loving this thread!

and now have a new breed to pine after...

;) Hortaya Borzaya :laugh:

:rofl: We can pine together, I might in lotto one day and import one... One day... :rofl:

They are also known as Chortaj if you're looking online for pics to drool over. :D

I am loving this thread!

and now have a new breed to pine after...

:laugh: Hortaya Borzaya :D

:rofl: We can pine together, I might in lotto one day and import one... One day... ;)

They are also known as Chortaj if you're looking online for pics to drool over. :D

If you win lotto Alyosha, import the Stepnaya Borzaya! Pleeeease! :rofl:

Edited by Diva

If you win lotto Alyosha, import the Stepnaya Borzaya! Pleeeease! :thumbsup:

I'd best aim for a big win then, and we could have a few new breeds in Oz. :rasberry:

Love the Stepnayas:

Stepnaya.jpgsarkush_karkush.jpgIMG_9475.jpg

Plus who can resist puppies???

Stepnaya and Chortaj:

muska1.jpgChortajpup2.jpg

Never heard of these before but I love the look of them.

They're lovely aren't they Krislin? In Russia the word Borzaya translates roughly to "Sighthound". So you have a few Russian sighthounds, all ancient breeds.

There's the internationally familiar one, the Psovaya Borzaya (or "Borzoi" as we know them). Psovaya meaning longhaired.

The Hortaya Borzaya - Chortaj. Hortaya meaning shorthaired.

The Stepnaya Borzaya translates to "Steppes Sighthound".

Silken Windhounds- They were developed by crossing Borzois with Whippets, I am not sure why anybody would want to bastardize two such nice breeds though :shrug:

A lot of photo's I have seen of them show very different types within the breed, very much like a Lurcher I feel.

post-28340-1288844514_thumb.jpg

There's Shetland Sheepdog in the mix too. The breed is affected by CEA.

I think there's at least two (possibly three) types that are trying to be recognised as new breeds. Silken windhound and silken windsprite aka longhaired whippet, that has sheltie in it. Not sure if I've got that right, it's all very confusing and contentious in whippet circles because of the way Walter Wheeler insisted there was a long hair gene in whippets and he just bred with it. There's never been longhaired whippets, wire haired, yes, and even today you see some whippets with quite harsh coats, which by the way is a fault. Walter Wheeler also bred shelties and I dont think genetic testing was around when he was doing his shonky breeding but it's all been proven now. There are still those who insist he just used whippets though.

at least the silken windhound people were up front about crossing breeds though.

I guess "Designer Dogs" go back a long way.

Also I guess trying to establish a new breed must have had it's place as Pedigree Dogs records became more controlled.

• 1 year later...

Another Maltese breed. Kelb Tal-Kacca

Bred specifically as a gundog to retrieve birds. So has a very soft mouth.

post-3304-1288848217_thumb.jpg

"Klieb Tal-Kacca ta' Malta" The Maltese Hunting Dog, this is my little man who is 9 months old, a long long way from home.

There are now a growing number in 2 states of Australia with more being imported this year from Malta & Gozo......

With ancient links to the Italiano Bracco and Kelb Tal-Fenek, this is one of the other highly prized gun dog breed that is currently in the process of obtaining pedigree and gunning for FCI recognition.