Need Advice

shelly

Hi all,

Some of you have already met Jedda, my english springer x field spaniel.

I am currently going out of my mind because she is constantly picking up debris in her feathers - burrs, bindiis, leaves, twigs... tree branches! Unless I get them straight away they matt-up. Took her to Bayview for a swim last Friday and she seriously looked like she had dread locks hanging down!

I'm pretty sure clipping is out of the question as Jedda only has a single coat on top with prolific feathering on her chest, undercarriage, legs, butt and ears (think of a cocker in a show clip). But do you think I could really shorten up her feathering without her looking really silly?

She's booked in with John Edwards for grooming next Monday.

Here's a picture of the little, woolly mammoth!

post-22-1107229898.jpg

Edited by shelly

As you know I have the same problem!

Now I clip the top :thumbsup: (most cocker breeders have heart failure when I mention this) and thin underneath. I have a pair of thining scissors which are a god send. Roll said shag pile dog over and thin with scissors :laugh: Also, I have a pair of grooming scissors which I trim feathering like show dogs.

Mai has been clipped all over so her feathering is still quite short (I am growing the feathering out). Maverick on the other hand is a walking nature strip and I am constantly grooming him. He has his feathering trimmed and thinned.

I will take a photo of him tonight for you :rofl:

You can clip your dog, but be aware the coat can grow back different - often it grows faster, curlier and thicker and actually requires more maintenance.

I'd take to her with some sissors and trim down the feathers on the hocks (back of the back feet) and the back of the front legs as well as the bottom of the feet and between the toes. If your taking her in for grooming let them know what you are worried about and they could clean her up for you if you aren't confident. You could also try a spray on conditioner for the feathers - it may help with the brushing out of the foliage :thumbsup:

Hi Shelly and Jeddah,

today, just for you, Skye is modelling her new summer hairstyle.

She 'specially asked the hairdresser to give her this smooth sleek look so that she would be sexy for the boys.

While chatting to the hairdresser about what she has been up to lately, she asked if she could have her back clipped off, but her lovely feathering left intact, but at the same time thinned out and neatly trimmed.

This way, while playing with her ball in the creek, she can still catch the boy's eye with her little girly skirt and luscious fluffy ears.

Her hairdresser also rubs some delicious smelling aloveen conditioner into her coat. When the Aloveen is used, Skye finds when she is groomed after her exercise and flirting sessions, the prickles and burrs slide out much easier.

Edited by Toohey

Something else Skye asks her hairdresser to do is trim her tummy with the clippers.

This keeps her tummy cool, makes grooming a bit easier, and doesn't take away from her full feathered look at all, which pleases Skye, as you know, when your a floosie, it's all about attracting the boys, isn't it Jeddah?

post-22-1107245712.jpg

John Edwards is, IMHO, one of the best coker groomers in the country. And, a lovely person as well. Why not ask him?

Otherwise, buy yourself a pair of thinning scissors, and working from the middle of the feathers, thin them out. Do a few cuts, comb out, and continue until the feathers are to your liking. You may also shorten them with scissors.

Buy a Coat King, and use that on the body - it shortens and thins the hair.

Buy some Alpha Keri oil - from the Chemist - about $7, and mix in a 500 ml spray bottle - 1/4 to 1/3 Alpha Keri to water to fill the bottle. Spray this on the dog a couple of times a week. Or more. This wont make the feathers oily, but will make them softer and easier to groom.

Gorgeous dog, lucky thing!! :thumbsup:

Maverick on the other hand is a walking nature strip and I am constantly grooming him. He has his feathering trimmed and thinned."

Exactly the description I needed! I really don't think Jedda needs the top clipped as it is naturally short and sleek. She has the field spaniel single coat as opposed to the springer double coat.

Toohey, Toohey, Toohey... you're too funny! Made me snort! Jedda is a bit too, how to put this delicately, "simple minded" to be a floosie! Though she does put the boys in their place when they get a bit too fresh (just ask ClickingMad's Chester the Molester!). Skye looks very pretty with her summer "do" and I think Jedda may be in for a tummy clip. And I forgot to mention her armpits! How can a girl look her best with dread-locks in her pits?

I will ask John about shortening and thinning her feathers when she goes in for grooming.

I had no idea how hairy Jedda would get. This is what she looked like on her first birthday:

post-22-1107300376.jpg

And I forgot to mention her armpits!  How can a girl look her best with dread-locks in her pits?

Well, Skye is cross with me for posting a pic of her boobies, so I won't post anymore pics, but will tell you that both her and Leo have their armpits shaved out with the no. 10 blade as well.

We also sometimes run the clippers along the inside of their legs and just leave the outside for show.

Armpits are terrible traps for grass seeds too.

Typically, Melbourne has gone from 37 degrees yesterday, to 10 degrees and pouring rain today. So much for our summer haircuts :laugh:

Jeddah's coat looks spectacular by the way :thumbsup:

Edited by Toohey

:rofl: Mai loves Macca's chips but Maverick loves banana, mango and ice cream.... :thumbsup:

Now how do you clip the underside of a boy cocker ? I would love to do it to Maverick but he has boy bits that I don't like 'on show' so to speak ? :rofl:

With arm pits, I don't tend to clip them. Too scared I will cut them I suppose. All I do is while I am watching TV, roll them over and comb. They fall asleep that way. Aloveen is great if you have a really big knot. I do this about once a week and it keeps them knot free.

Edited by Maverick

Mai loves Macca's chips but Maverick loves banana, mango and ice cream.... 

Oranges and mandarins come a close second in Jedda's books! And ice cream, of course. And rockmelon, watermelon, carrot, apple, mango, peach, nectarine... Weird dog!

Wendy what are using to strip her coat? Are you showing, or planning to show her?

Could you use thinning scissors on her head?

She is looking divine. Growing into a stunning girl :thumbsup:

Is it because you feed her all that sand?

Is it because you feed her all that sand?

:champagne: At least she'd be regular!

Brianna is such a pretty girl and getting soooooo big! I remember the first pictures you posted of her when she was just an itty-bitty-baby!

Jedda doesn't get a top knot - she just gets a feral looking gremlin spike!

:party: I use thinning scissiors on my two but I have to get in quick.. Eddy likes to grab the gel and make all sorts of weird styles on my two.

Also, after I have done Maverick, he has sort of a cow lick in the middle of his head and it sticks up no matter what I do, so he always has some weird hair style going, plus the drool across the nose.... hmmmmm :champagne::party: