Man In Custody Over Stolen Chihuahua

Boronia

Woo Hoo, now he is in custody! (for today anyhow)

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/breakin...f-1225948206593

A 33-year-old man is in custody after failing to appear in court over charges related to the theft of a prize-winning chihuahua from the Royal Adelaide Show.

Harry, valued at about $5000, went missing from his cage at the Adelaide show in September, but was found safe and well about three weeks later.

Khuong Dinh Tran was charged with dishonestly receiving the dog, but failed to show at the Holden Hill Magistrates Court yesterday.

A magistrate issued a warrant for his arrest and police today said a man from suburban Northfield was arrested overnight.

He was refused bail and was expected to appear in court today.

Harry went missing from the show while his owner Kylie Sunman was just metres away.

At the time, show spokeswoman Michelle Hocking said it appeared the person responsible knew what he was after, with Harry winning a prize in his category.

Related Coverage

Man charged with theft of Harry Adelaide Now, 1 Oct 2010

'Harry' reunited with owner Adelaide Now, 28 Sep 2010

Ms Hocking said the incident was surprising considering how vigilant owners were over their pets.

This is the bit in the Adelaide paper...... http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-a...3-1225933005087

click on the link,there is a great photo of Harry and Kylie

A NORTHFIELD man has been charged with the theft of Harry the chihuahua.

Detectives arrested the man, 33, earlier tonight and charged him over the theft of the little dog from the Royal Adelaide Show on September 8.

The man has been bailed to appear in the Holden Hill Magistrates Court on November 4.

Harry was found safe and well at Northfield on Tuesday and has since been returned to his owner.

edited to fix spelling

Edited by Boronia

I hope he cops it from the judge.

I would be furious if it had been my dog, although not very likely considering I have a Dobe!

I used to do flyball at the Sydney Royal and one year they had us keep the dogs where the show dogs would have been. I had no choice at one point but to leave my dog for a few minutes while I went to the toilet. He was still there when I got back! (He was a large, entire male who was very indifferent to strangers so I doubt anyone would have tried to even pat him let alone steal him!)

The fact that he's a winner and would have no papers doesn't matter to the BYB, surely.

That's what I don't understand. Without the papers and the bragging rights, he's just any other dog to a BYBer. So why take him ? and not just buy a dog to breed with.

Maybe the person just wanted to have him ? who knows

The fact that he's a winner and would have no papers doesn't matter to the BYB, surely.

That's what I don't understand. Without the papers and the bragging rights, he's just any other dog to a BYBer. So why take him ? and not just buy a dog to breed with.

Maybe the person just wanted to have him ? who knows

Perhaps the logic applied was why buy. Indeed, who knows, but papers and bragging rights may not have been important.

• 4 weeks later...

At the time, Ms Sunman told The Advertiser that Harry was "the worst dog to steal" because he was "not sociable with strangers".

So how did anyone manage to get him out of his crate without a lot of noise. Interesting.

At the time, Ms Sunman told The Advertiser that Harry was "the worst dog to steal" because he was "not sociable with strangers".

So how did anyone manage to get him out of his crate without a lot of noise. Interesting.

The show is quite noisy, there would have been plenty of dogs barking, yapping, etc, the noise could quite easily have been drowned out.

The show is quite noisy, there would have been plenty of dogs barking, yapping, etc, the noise could quite easily have been drowned out.

The dog pavilion at Syd Royal is super noisy but I'm sure I'd hear a screaming chiwee, Rav (ofcourse I'm just ASSuming he was screaming rather than cowering). It just seems really strange because even if he didnt make a noise, wouldnt people sitting near you notice a stranger lift a dog out of a crate?

I def agree, personally if I was showing a dog, it would be constantly under my watchful eye...or at least padlock the bloody crate!

Not having dealt with chi's I don't know what a screaming chi sounds like. :thumbsup:

The dog pavilion at Syd Royal is super noisy but I'm sure I'd hear a screaming chiwee, Rav (ofcourse I'm just ASSuming he was screaming rather than cowering). It just seems really strange because even if he didnt make a noise, wouldnt people sitting near you notice a stranger lift a dog out of a crate?

My stepmum was exhibiting next to Kylie. Apparently, there was an advance guest speaker on, so exhibitors had moved down to the end of the row. There was only one person left in their row, and he was asleep. Kylie went to the loo, came back and Harry was gone. Stepmum also said that a couple of hours earlier, the guy had been asking to buy one of the dogs. Everyone sent him away.

Everyone sent him away.

Was he a bit odd (I mean...not like nicking a dog out of his crate at a Royal is exactly normal behaviour) but why did they all send him away? Something didnt feel right?

Such a strange thing to do.