"can We Have Her On The Main Register?"

LizT

Thanks Ellz, I needed an "up' story! :o

I'm just glad they let Chilli in the hospital. I told my kids before they make the decision to 'pull the plug" on me throw a couple of dogs on me first! :D

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While everyone is putting their sixpence worth in and pontificating, Limited Register has only been around 6or so year max maybe 10 so all pups where on main before that regardless of the quality.

One wonders what brought in LR. :) :D :D ;) :) :D :):o :D :D

In some states like SA breeders usually only registered the show puppies and sold the others without papers but in NSW and Vic, certainly in my breed, all puppies were registered and sold on main register unless they had a major show fault. Most breeder I know that started out in th 80s actually bought a nice main registered pet, then decided to show and breed. These are the stalwarts of the breed all these years later. In fact I cannot think of anyone who actually started out with a plan to become a breeder.

When Australian dogs started to become popular in Asia, especially Japan, breeders found the puppies they had sold in good faith to "families", were in fact being onsold to dealers to sell to the Asian market. The Japanese buyers were paying up to twenty times the original purchase price of the puppy to get registered breeding stock for registered puppy farms and there was nothing breeders here could do to stop it. Once they sold a registered puppy the buyer could sell or export it as they wanted to. My breed was one where breeders appealed to the ANKC to try to stop the problem. The limit register was introduced by the ANKC (not NSW) so that breeders could sell registered puppies that could never be issued with an export pedigree and therefore not sold to dealers for export. The option to upgrade to main was put in place so breeders could upgrade the dog once they got to know and trust the buyers.

Most breeders started using the limit just to stop anyone from breeding registered puppies from dogs that they didn't think were good enough. Some breeds embraced the limit register and others pretty much ignored it for several years. Now it has gone to the other extreme of most breeders putting everything they don't keep on limit so no new breeders and exhibitors are entering the dog world. The drastically dropping ANKC membership numbers reflect this trend. I remember reading a study years ago when ANKC numbers were at an all time high. It stated that the majority of members only stayed for 5-7 years, breeding just a few litters or one generation before dropping out of dogs. So this means we had a core of dedicated long time breeders but the majority were only temporary members of the dog world. These were the ones making up the numbers though. Without them the numbers have dropped off and the world of pure bred dogs is in jeopardy.

• 3 months later...

Okay so here's a little something to help restore faith in human kind if you're feeling a little jaded.

Sometimes people do what it right and you feel that your faith in them has been justified.

The puppy bitch that I have sold on Limited Register to a lady who made an enquiry asking if I could put the puppy on Main Register as she thought she might like to breed her has had the puppy desexed yesterday (I have a copy of the Vet desexing certificate.) I am sending her my $100 refund as per my desexing contract. The puppy has taken over their lives, is adored by the family, is doing well at puppy school and will not be used for BYBing as per the many concerns in this thread (mine included).

Yeah, yeah, I know there are many, many who do not do the right thing. This time someone did.

Okay so here's a little something to help restore faith in human kind if you're feeling a little jaded.

Sometimes people do what it right and you feel that your faith in them has been justified.

The puppy bitch that I have sold on Limited Register to a lady who made an enquiry asking if I could put the puppy on Main Register as she thought she might like to breed her has had the puppy desexed yesterday (I have a copy of the Vet desexing certificate.) I am sending her my $100 refund as per my desexing contract. The puppy has taken over their lives, is adored by the family, is doing well at puppy school and will not be used for BYBing as per the many concerns in this thread (mine included).

Yeah, yeah, I know there are many, many who do not do the right thing. This time someone did.

Great news. :rofl::) :) ;) :o

Great news. :laugh::mad:(:) :D

Yes, I'm so glad I didn't 'panic' and refuse the puppy to them. They are very good people and she is in a loving home, so alls well that ends well. :)

• 2 weeks later...