What Nutty Things Were You Scared Of When You First Got Your Dog?

SeeGee

HI Everyone,

Im quite inspired by MMs post in another thread, so thought I would put it out there - what did you do when you first got your puppies that you look back on and just CRACK UP?

This is MMs' post from another thread <used with her permission of course>

My experience has nothing to do with breeding, just an example of sheer ignorance. I bought two puppies (one from a BYB - knew nothing at the time - and one from a breeder). I was a nervous wreck, particularly at the way they curled up to sleep and I asked my vet if dogs could die of cot death embarrass.gif embarrass.gif . He didn't laugh at me either.

Im still a neurotic dog owner - but seriously when I first got Charlie I was down the vets every few weeks sure we was going to die of some deadly peril! He had a little patch of hair ripped off his ear from playing rough in the yard and I was sure it was ring worm - down the vet. He fell asleep sitting up and I was sure he had an advanced case of HD - down the vet <he actually is on natural supplements for HD but with nothing showing at this time> I treated him like a piece of glass that could shatter at any time. I checked him over every night for cuts or bruises - when he had a lump form on his chin I was SURE it was a tumor - its a mole....<one of many!>

What about you? What did you do when you got your first puppy that was completly insane/over reaction etc that makes you laugh like crazy now.....

Dont get me wrong - Im still neurotic and over protective lol......but I know Charlie and Mia arent going to shatter <maybe just explode from over eating, but thats another story>

This is just a bit of fun - I'm hoping for a laugh!

Jacqui

If theres nothing for me to stress about my brain comes up with something pretty quickly. When brought Chester home I was a wreck over nothing. One minute I was worrying he was going to be neurotic and hyper (he's a BC) and the next minute I was worrying that he was too placid! He's turned out to be stable temperament and no where near as hyper as our little cross bred dog which we already had for 2 years :)

Since we have a breed that is considered 'rare' I was completey paranoid about him being stolen and was so worried about it, that for the first six months he was kept inside the house...yep, you can imagine the havoc he caused! Chewed our dining table, ripped cushions apart, tore out the bottom of a dining chair, howled, and kept busy escaping out of his pen. In the end we installed a doggy door and figured if someone was going to steal him, they could have him! :)

Would definitely never do that again.

Edited by poochmad

I never got the chance to get neurotic.

My first dog was a poor, malnourished, neglected Poodle with terrible canker, a propensity to attract ticks etc ect.

I was too busy dealing with all that to find imaginary things to worry about. :rofl:

Back when I got Charlie, I had no idea how lucky I was, him being as healthy as he was/is.

I don't think I was scared enough when I got Saxon (my first ever pup)! Being a lifelong cat person, I think I figured a puppy would be much like a kitten... Note to self, puppies get into more trouble than kittens!

I remember putting this tiny 1kg puppy in the middle of my bed while I ducked into the bathroom for TWO SECONDS to grab something - sure enough, heard a THUD and ran back in to find small puppy on the floor shaking his head and looking at me like he was thinking "huh, how'd I get here?" :rofl: Luckily he was fine.

I did worry a lot about what he had in his mouth, again kittens don't chew everything, but puppies sure do! I think I stuck my fingers in his mouth about every 5 minutes for his first 6 months, just to check he hadn't found something that could be dangerous for him. Again, despite managing to chew socks, undies, stockings, collars, tags, cat toys, cat fur, sticks, flowers, plastic containers, bugs, computer cords, paper, panadol packets (not the pills luckily), bookmarks, books, blankets, cushion stuffing (and the list of things I pulled out of his mouth goes on) he was fine!

I was a complete nervous wreck for the first year of Ruby's life. Being my first Labrador, I read all I could and the stories I read were telling me of all the Labs that were getting HD and ED and how there is a good chance it will show while a puppy if they are going to have it, and how to be extremely careful with exercise and stuff in their first 12 months, made me freak at everything. Slightest limp, I freaked. Another dog playing a bit too roughly, I freaked. My family started to get annoyed at me. Happy to report my baby girl is sound (touch wood) at almost 4 years old :mad Not sure if it's a nutty thing to be scared of, I think it's a good thing to be scared of so you're extra careful! But it did put me through quite a bit of stress and I probably missed the best portion of her puppyhood while I stressed myself out :eek::rofl:

Well used to dogs from childhood but had an OMG I want to crawl under the table vet visit with my 1st cockatieil.

2nd hand to me, a male & female. Had them in a huge cage in the lounge. The female went all silly & kept squatting like she was constipated, egg bound or something so off to the vet.

He examined her. Said its spring & she is horny :cry:

Said no charge this is the best laugh I have had all week & I am going to tell everyone.

Exit feeling a prize idiot.

Our first dog was a Jack Russell, and I was paranoid. Hubby wanted him, but I didn't know if I could handle the lifestyle change. I had it all worked out- he would be an "indoor on invitation" dog, and I had even cut up blankets to put on my lap when I nursed him (Yep that bad- but you should see me now- I saw the light quickly).

.... Fast forward a few days, and I lost my puppy- I looked everywhere, but Tippy had somehow (so I thought), escaped a closed up house. In tears I went to the bedroom to phone Hubby, and saw a lump under the doona. OMG it was Tippy, and he must be suffocated.... I slowly pulled the Doona off the bed, expecting the worst- NOBODY had told me Jack Russell's love being under covers.

Thus one of his nicknames is still Lumpy, and even in the middle of summer I have to put his blankie over him (he sleeps on the lounge) every night.

Yep, things have changed a lot for the better.

Di

Said no charge this is the best laugh I have had all week & I am going to tell everyone.

:grouphug::cry: :p

All the others are funny as heck, and although slightly OT, you win the prize so far!!

Our Staffy as a puppy used to sleep in the bed with us (until she started teething :clap: ). She would stop breathing through the night, totally freaked me out!! Apparently it's normal! :cry: Got a rescue kitten at 4 weeks, she did it too. Something to do with litters sleeping in a pile and stimulating each other to breathe or something.

Another OT one:

I lost my ferret in the house once. Happened to bump into our old, old couch while I was zooming around looking for him. Jingle Jingle. WTF?! Little bugger had gotten tired after his war-dancing shennanigans and spotted the rip in the vinyl back of the couch. Great place to sleep!! :grouphug:

Can definitely sympathise with the stuff in mouth thing - UGH. Is it wrong to muzzle your puppy? :clap: KIDDING!

Ha ha ha - well I'm glad to be the inspiration for something . . . . .

Thus one of his nicknames is still Lumpy, and even in the middle of summer I have to put his blankie over him (he sleeps on the lounge) every night.

Jeune is a burrower under the blankets as well. I'll go into the bedroom with my first cup of coffee and call out, "Where's Lumpy Pumpy?" Tamar leaps onto the bed with wiggles of delight and the blankets start to move - being a law unto herselt, Jeune may or may not emerge but if she does, she rolls over onto her back, her tail going like the clappers wanting a belly rub.

I have long since given up worrying about cot death :cry::grouphug: .

Charlie is my first ever puppy. Always had dogs but never puppy especially at 8 weeks old.

I bomb proof my house!! Seriously even my friends with skin kids house is not as well protected as my house. Charlie was so small that we were scared of stepping on him, so I taught him to stay out of the kitchen, he had a bell on him, and everyone learned to shuffle while they walk.

Charlie was an awesome puppy though. Never chewed. Toilet trained by the time he was 12 weeks old, never did anything to get in trouble. Easy pup to take everywhere with us because he was so calm and sweet (still is).

Funny enough, I didn't worry about too much about his health. We got the usual vacs, he had a good diet, we had regular exercise. If there was anything out of the norm, we went straight to the vets for a check up, but there was usual a reason for it... like he had a little allergies that was cured in a week, ear yeast infection that was easily done. We were always told that he was completely healthy.

I was more worried about if he was being happy then anything. I always worried that he was sad, lonely or something... so I always made sure that he always had something to do. So he had/have an active social life :cry: I did worry that he slept a lot but the vets said that's normal. Puppies sleeps a lot.

When he got desexed the vet said that he will calm him more down and the boyfriend and I looked at each other and thought if he was more calm, he will probably be comatose or something. We worried about that too.

I used to worry he would just die. Especially back when he slept what, 20 hours a day. I was constantly hovering over him to make sure the little tummy was going up and down. And I may have been guilty of poking him awake a few times :mad What he was going to die of, I have no idea. I just thought that he'd die.

I sometimes poke Banjie and get scared that he has stopped breathing as well lol!

The scariest thing has been stressing about whether Luda is eating enough or I am starving her! I am still trying to convince myself that she is a whippet- she is supposed to be lean!

NOBODY had told me Jack Russell's love being under covers.

My JRT x looooves being under blankets too, and loves his crate which I cover with a blanket when he's in it. I was wondering if it's a breed thing, seeing as they were bred for underground work:)

Our first dog was a Jack Russell, and I was paranoid. Hubby wanted him, but I didn't know if I could handle the lifestyle change. I had it all worked out- he would be an "indoor on invitation" dog, and I had even cut up blankets to put on my lap when I nursed him (Yep that bad- but you should see me now- I saw the light quickly).

.... Fast forward a few days, and I lost my puppy- I looked everywhere, but Tippy had somehow (so I thought), escaped a closed up house. In tears I went to the bedroom to phone Hubby, and saw a lump under the doona. OMG it was Tippy, and he must be suffocated.... I slowly pulled the Doona off the bed, expecting the worst- NOBODY had told me Jack Russell's love being under covers.

Yep, things have changed a lot for the better.

Di

:rolleyes: We call Timmy our mini foxie The Lump too!!

I'm not sure I actually knew enough to be 'scared' of much. He had kibble on demand 24/7, I took let him loose in the offlead dog areas. My saving grace I think was that I thought all dogs need training and knowing nothing about it, joined a dog club.

I was paranoid about strange big dogs off lead near my puppy. Sadly, due to experience I'm probably more paranoid about that than ever. :rolleyes: