Canon Users In Here Please

tlc

Hi guys, I am contemplating upgrading my current camera Nikon D80 and I am considering swapping and coming over to the Canon Camp. I really really love my Nikon but at the moment I just feel Canon is the front runner with DSLRs and they seem to be going ahead in leaps and bounds. However I am still not 100% sure I want to change. I have had my heart set on a Nikon D700 for a long while but have more recently been swayed by a friend who had just recently got a Canon 7D.

Has anyone here got a 7D? I am confused with so many and have looked at 7D, 5D Mark II, or would I be better sticking to a 40 or 50D

If anyone can help give me a better understanding of what I should go for please feel fre to advise.

I would need to start new as all my stuff body and 3 lenses and speedlight are all Nikon, so this would mean going to cf for memory and If I buy body only I woulld need a lense and my thought was to start off with just buying body only and get a 50mm lense as I use it the most on my nikon anyway. I also thought about selling my nikon and bits and pieces but think I will keep them for the more "dirty" shoots like the beach etc.....

So if I had around a $2000 budget to start with what would be my best buy??

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What's not doing it for you on your current body? Why the need to change? Those answers will help a lot in narrowing the choices down.

Personally, I wouldn't get the 5D or 5DII. Best bang for buck is still a good condition 40D. The 7D is one very sweet camera but it's at the top end of the price range - you likely wouldn't be tempted to upgrade from it soon.

Hi Kristen, I was hoping you would pop in. :D

What do you mean about wouldn't be tempted to upgrade soon? Do you mean if I got the 7D it would last me a long long time?

I do like the 40D's one of the guys at work has one and i have had a play and I like it, can you still buy them new? I definatley will not buy a secod hand one.

It's nothing I can specifically put my finger on with the D80, I just feel I have outgrown it a bit but I am still contemplating if I may be better off to put my money into some new lenses hence this thread just getting some others opinions to help make my decision easier. I may also just decide to stick with what I have. I think it will be a while before the next 5 year interest free at HN so I have a while to decide.

It's pretty expensive to change over I think. AnnieK and I both have 7Ds, I love mine and I think she is pretty happy with hers too. I bought mine because I was finding my 400D too slow for head on running shots of the whippets, otherwise I would have happily kept it. The 7D is a great all round camera but particularly good for sports/action. I certainly dont think I will be upgrading for a while, if ever, well maybe when it wears out.

What is it about your camera that is falling short. Maybe you need to talk to more Nikon people to be inspired again. I've heard Nikon has better colour and picture quality, dont know if it's true though.

I have a 5D mark ii - it's not the kind of camera i would recommend to someone who was only just getting into canon gear. You can't use any EF-S lenses with it so your choice is limited and the lenses that do fit it are generally quite expensive to buy. At the moment i only own a 50mm 1.4 and a 70-200mm 2.8L. My next purchase will be a 24-70mm 2.8L but it's $1600 new so it'll be a while.

If i was to buy a different camera, i would go for the 7D - the 5D doesn't cut it for action shots sometimes. I would love to add one to my kit!

yes, I mean it would take almost forever to outgrow the 7D :) it's a terrifically capable camera.

I haven't seen a new 40D in ages. No idea if you might ferret one out. I'd have no hesitation in buying used myself, never really understood that as long as you buy from a reliable source, but each to their own :)

The newer 50D is a nice camera, too. Might still be able to find them new in box. There's nothing at all wrong with the 60D either - forget the whiners about what it's "missing" as it isn't really missing anything so much as it isn't the upgrade from the 40D/50D that said whiners hoped for :D

if you have the cash, the 7D has the most longevity out of the current offerings.

Investing in good glass is always a safe bet BUT you do need to decide if you're switching brands before you sink more cash in.

Nailing down what you feel the current camera isn't giving you might be tough, but to really make a non-emotional decision you'll have to do it. If it's more about making a change - which sometimes is all the reason one needs and can be a very good thing - then go with your gut.

There really aren't any bad choices out of your options!

Has anyone here got a 7D? I am confused with so many and have looked at 7D, 5D Mark II, or would I be better sticking to a 40 or 50D

If anyone can help give me a better understanding of what I should go for please feel fre to advise.

the 40d/50d is discontinued...the 60d was released this year and ranges between the 550 and the 7d.there are a few kit options available depending on what lens/lenses you want.18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS and 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS lenses with camera retail around $2100 or18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens $2400.some other options are available as well. havnt had a play of it yet but seems a nice camera.:D

I have a 5D Mark II and for what I use it for (portraits), its perfect.

For what you want to spend, either look at the new 60D or the 7D like others have mentioned. Both are crop sensor bodies so all Canon lenses will be compatible (EF and EF-S)

I got my partner the 550D a couple of months ago. He is an engineer and by default, he researches ALOT (and I mean, alot!!). In his research, he found the 550D to be better than the 7D.

Got to this website and do a side by side comparison, its really personal choice and what you want to use the camera for :D

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp

ETA

Edited by Bellatrix

I have a 5D mark ii - it's not the kind of camera i would recommend to someone who was only just getting into canon gear. You can't use any EF-S lenses with it so your choice is limited and the lenses that do fit it are generally quite expensive to buy. At the moment i only own a 50mm 1.4 and a 70-200mm 2.8L. My next purchase will be a 24-70mm 2.8L but it's $1600 new so it'll be a while.

If i was to buy a different camera, i would go for the 7D - the 5D doesn't cut it for action shots sometimes. I would love to add one to my kit!

When I bought mine, it was $1800! (from teds and that was after some discount!!) lol

DWI have it so cheap at the moment!! fantastic lens IMO!

http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/...p?idProduct=946

ETA

Edited by Bellatrix

Thanks guys some really good things to think about. Mostly I love taking doggy shots as you guys know either close up portrait style or action shots, so far from the info here the 7D sounds like it would be great.

Kristen your right I do need to decide if I really wanna swap over and I have been thinking about it quietly to myself for quite a while but haven't done much research till today. (dam my friend and her 7D)

I could sell my Nikon body and lenses and speed light but not sure I'd get much for them and like I said I' d really like to keep them for the more dirtier jobs. :D

Can anyone explain to me in really simple dummy terms what is the difference betwen a full fram and a crop sensor? My friend tried to explain and she prefers a crop sensor cause she said she can get more zoom, she is a wild life artist and shoots lots of wildlife been to africa etc etc so the crop sensor suits her needs better. But I am stuggling to understand what the actual difference is.

I have been checking out dpreview that comparison table thing is great!!

I love my 7D - I upgraded from the 400D.

I wanted higher ISO, more fps and video - I got the lot. But I think I've had it around 9 months and am still learning.

Just had a look at the comparison 7d to 550D as someone made a comment that the 550D is "better". But "better" for what? It's about what you want out of a camera.

The 7D has double the max shutter speed of the 550D (8000 v 4000) and almost triple the bps in continuous drive (8 v 3.7) So I dunno about the 550D being "better" - it wouldn't do it for me for what I want.

I would hate to be in your shoes tlc :D sorry .....

Edited by anniek

Can anyone explain to me in really simple dummy terms what is the difference betwen a full fram and a crop sensor? My friend tried to explain and she prefers a crop sensor cause she said she can get more zoom, she is a wild life artist and shoots lots of wildlife been to africa etc etc so the crop sensor suits her needs better. But I am stuggling to understand what the actual difference is.

Full frame is exactly that - full frame.

A crop sensor (depending on what sensor it is) is mostly roughly 2/3s of the size of the full frame. It means that the image, if taken from the same position with a 5d vs a 7d, the 7d photo will look cropped compared to the 5d, if that makes sense.

Full frame is beautiful for portraiture (which is what i have it for) - not so great for action as the full frame sensor is slower and can't take as many frames a second as the crop sensor.

ETA: This probably explains it better http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full-frame_digital_SLR

Edited by ~*Shell*~

Full frame is exactly that - full frame.

A crop sensor (depending on what sensor it is) is mostly roughly 2/3s of the size of the full frame. It means that the image, if taken from the same position with a 5d vs a 7d, the 7d photo will look cropped compared to the 5d, if that makes sense.Full frame is beautiful for portraiture (which is what i have it for) - not so great for action as the full frame sensor is slower and can't take as many frames a second as the crop sensor.

ETA: This probably explains it better http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full-frame_digital_SLR

Yes I think I get it, so in actual fact with a cropped sensor your photos will actually appear as if you are closer to the subject. Ill check out the link. Think I am going to have to do a lot of research before I make any sort of decision.

Thanks Annie, I'd hate to be in my shoes too!!

How about you 7D owners post some of your besties here for me to drool over!!

I found this helpful to understand about the full frame and crop sensor :)

http://www.digital-photography-school.com/...s-right-for-you

Sounds like your set on the 7D , go for it! :D

That is a good explaination, I couldn't get Shells link to work.

Do you guys think it would be fair to say in simple terms the Nikon D300 would be comparative to the 7D

and the Nikon D700 would be comparative to the 5d Mark II

similar in price and in specs when using the comparison chart.