Canon Users In Here Please

tlc

Nice shots, do you have a prefers lens for action, I have taken some great action shots with the 50 mm 1.8 but I'm sure there is a better lens for action?

Is there one lens that would be good for action and portraits?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yesterday and today were teh first time I had to get good pics out of the brand new 7D now I've had the 350D, 10D, 40D (and lets forget the 50D) and they were nice easy set and forget type cameras. I can wave the 40D in the general direction of a horse and it gets the photo. I love that camera. But today the small lens had issues with what I needed it to take photos of (moving horse in very dark conditions) - a few photos looke very average. I also had the new 7D with me with the 70-210 lens bigger than I needed for most spots but plenty of chances to test it out. Well the 7D did most of the day and while there were a few OOF (out of focus) pics I think it may have been the rain or I didn't quite get the chosen focus spots on the right spot as it seems it corrected when I did.

The 7D is also aimed at the sports photographer so a lot of the settings relate to getting better photos of action.

However it is very sensitive and you do need to read the manual and the magic lantern guide and then have an idea of what the settings exactly need to be - very easy to stuff up and have the pics not work. The 550d is probably more like my previous ones without the full list of fancy settings the 7D has. Go to DPreview compare the two cameras and decide if teh 7D's extra features actually would be used by you as otherwise you may be buying a camera that is more technical than you need.

For action I use zoom lenses - the one that stuff up today wwas a 24-85mm not all that good for action but great for posed stuff. I prefer the 70-300 for action but thats come back from Canon and is waiting for me to pick up so am currently using the 70-210mm lens on the 7D.

Edited by rubiton

Thanks for the reply, the more I read the more I love the 7D.

Interesting what you said about liking the zoom for your action shots, I prefer to get closer to the action but I guess it depends what the action is as sometimes it's physically impossible to be real close, I guess that's where the zoom comes in handy.

As for technical, one of my girl friends calls me Mrs Technology : laugh: I am somewhat of a gadget girl and love the tech side of everything!

Do you really NEED the 7D? If I had to change over to a whole new brand, I'd get a good body and put the rest into lenses. I certainly wouldn't bother getting a 7D if it meant I could only get one lens or so, so not sure what your budget is.

If you're only taking photos of your dogs etc, I think you'd be much better off with a 40/50/60D and putting the rest of the money into some quality lenses.

Do you really NEED the 7D? If I had to change over to a whole new brand, I'd get a good body and put the rest into lenses. I certainly wouldn't bother getting a 7D if it meant I could only get one lens or so, so not sure what your budget is.

If you're only taking photos of your dogs etc, I think you'd be much better off with a 40/50/60D and putting the rest of the money into some quality lenses.

More to think about. As far as needing the 7D I don't but jut figured if my budget allows why not but I totally see your point, go for one of the others and spend more on lenses. Makes sense I will keep it in mind.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of difference between the 7D and the 10D

Lic, the 40D I reckon has been one of Canons better models, Don't think I have even seen a crap photo out of a 40D even bad shots still somehow look good!

Question, if I had a 50mm lens on a D80 and then a 50mm lens on a D300 would there be a noticable difference in the photo? Or would it be similar to the two pics posted from the 7D and the 10D? I guess what I am getting at is if I upgraded from the D80 to the D300 and stayed with Nikon how much difference is there going to be photowise or does it really "ALL" come down to the lenses??

More to think about. As far as needing the 7D I don't but jut figured if my budget allows why not but I totally see your point, go for one of the others and spend more on lenses. Makes sense I will keep it in mind.

There doesn't seem to be a lot of difference between the 7D and the 10D

Lic, the 40D I reckon has been one of Canons better models, Don't think I have even seen a crap photo out of a 40D even bad shots still somehow look good!

Question, if I had a 50mm lens on a D80 and then a 50mm lens on a D300 would there be a noticable difference in the photo? Or would it be similar to the two pics posted from the 7D and the 10D? I guess what I am getting at is if I upgraded from the D80 to the D300 and stayed with Nikon how much difference is there going to be photowise or does it really "ALL" come down to the lenses??

When it comes to image quality it is mostly the lenses that dictate, except when it comes to ISO performance.

It's only really worth upgrading a body if it has specific abilities you can't meet on your current camera - eg better autofocus, faster frames per second, etc. Other than that you'd be mostly hard pressed to see any difference in the actual PHOTO if it is the same lens.

Edited by Tess32

I don't think Canon is any better than Nikon, and I have canon gear. If it was me I would stick to Nikon and put the money into lenses, and you haven't lost out on the investment you have already made with speedlites and lenses

Edited by helen

I am reading along with interest as I am also looking at swapping over to Canon from my Konika Minolta 5D. For me to keep my elnses I would need to got Sony and I am not too keen on their current offerings although I will look at the A55 that was mentioned to me last weekend.

I have been looking at the 7D but decided I would probably be better with either 40/50/60D and better lenses. I am unsure as yet if I am better to look for a good condiiton second hand40 or 50 (although can still find new 50D on ebay) or get the 60D.

tlc I have been looking at bhphoto.com - prices much better than locally. Alternatively I have looked at http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/index.asp I realise I amy end up paying some duty but the prices are so much better. 1 lens I was looking at was about half the price that I found locally.

I don't think Canon is any better than Nikon, and I have canon gear. If it was me I would stick to Nikon and put the money into lenses, and you haven't lost out on the investment you have already made with speedlites and lenses

Me too.

personally I think Nikon at the moment has the momentum from Canon, as Nikon seem to at least be making their focus including the bettor sensors into all of the cameras, whereas with Canon, you only seem to get those with the full pro bodies - I love that the D700 gives a lot more options for focal points to use, the 5DII has only the centre plus a sparse selection around that. I shoot both Canon and Nikon (5dII & D700)

But would also say, it is not only the camera or the lenses that makes a shot, it is also the photographer too, just buying now gear will not automatically make things better, you need to learn the learning curve with all of them, and get to know them inside and out - so as has been said, work out what your current body is not doing, and what you want, and what is the best investment to get that - & also remember, the whole industry is targeted to make you think you need to swap up all the time and get the next best thing - not always true, but they need people to keep buying bigger and better, otherwise they will have no more market to sell to.

I did start with a 10D,, and loved it, but boy did it suck once you got past ISO 400 - that was why I traded up to the 5DII - the low light ability of that is to die for, but also got the D700 as a backup / 2nd option, as the 5DII is getting a reputation as having focus issues & I can't afford to have a failure on a job, and have only heard great stuff about the D700 - it is also great at low light, and the focus is snap fast too.

If you already have an investment in Nikon, I would not be making the jump unless you are really sure it is what you want

It's not uncommon for pros to have a variety of systems but it is very rare for someone's who is just to have fun to have multiple systems.

For pros, it's all about what tool will do the specific job :thumbsup:

Thanks for the input Linda, Interesting to hear you have Nikon and Canon, I have never known a photographer to have both brands usually they are predominantly one or the other.

Im doing a photography course at the moment and last week the nsw portrait photographer of the year came and spoke... I was suprised when he said he shoots both nikon and canon

Like me you mean :thumbsup: I am a bit of a camera horder :rofl: I cannot part with my old pana fz 50, I took a devil of a time for me to even think about selling my pana fz 20 which I did in the end, so outdated now. :) Not to mention my cam corders, actually I just gave one to my mum and she is wrapped with it but I still have two, oh and my little Nikon point and shoot which I despise with a passion.

Its using the tool you have - Nikons are too big for me but then when my 40D had to be fixed and the 50D was having issues I was leftto take big race photos last May with my 350D. That little camera did a great job and got shots I needed but for me with horse race finishes I only had the choice of 2 or 3 shots instead of 9 or 10. And you cant get the race run over again so I need gear that will get the photo and hopefully a range to pick from.

The 7D did a fantastic job with the horse fall on Sat and with the one fence I gave it yesterday (from teh pics Ive seen so far) - it was no better than the 40D on the victory gallop but I have changed a setting slightly to see if that helps for its next test at the races. But I cant see why non pro photographers would need something like a 7D its a very good camera but very very exact so if you set it up wrong its not going to perform to its best. Better to buy a cheaper body (theyall take good photos) and get better lenses. Its the lens that gets the image ultimately. I had a lens cause hassles on saturday as it was too slow to focus on a moving object. 40d was fine with the big lens on Fri & Sun so obviously its the small lens that made the difference.