Canon Users In Here Please

tlc

I've found the 50D fantastic for locking on focus on moving animals and where you don't know where they are going to go - I've used it taking a photo of an albatross in flight and a humpback whale calf breaching and it didn't lose focus, but I only use one focus point for flight shots. One thing I've noticed between the 50D (which I've only used about twice since I got it in Aug) and my 30D is it throws a magenta cast, but this is easily corrected at the raw converter stage.

I borrowed rugerfly's Nikon at a dog show last year just for fun and I can't remember what Nikon she had but it was pretty impressive, I think that was down to the great lens she had on it.

Agree about spending your money on a good lens. The lens I use for taking photos of birds etc. is worth more than my camera (300mm f/4 prime), I love it, except I bought a khaki cover for it as the white sticks out well, like dogs' balls, plus the neoprane keeps it dry and it's pretty comfy on the hands.

Edited by Ripley

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for input, after yesterday's efforts I was ready to throw the D80 to the wind actually it was more the lense. I have been using the 50mm a lot and yesterday had to take pics for our dog obedience Xmas party so I put the kit lens back on and away I went. Do you think I could take a decent shot with it, I was so annoyed. You realize how versatile the 50 mm is after you go back to the kit lense. Good in low light and shade and for action and close ups as well.

I think at this stage when I do upgrade I will stick with Nikon, especially as I have three lenses I can use. and the money it would have cost me to swap I'd be better off to spend n new glass instead.

Thanks again.

As a canon house with lots of canon gear (including 5D II), we just tested out a Nikon kit for the last 10 days (thanks to Nikon for setting that up :rolleyes: ) ... we now have in our hands a quote for a Nikon D3s kit.

still trying to decide if we change over or not - if money was out of the equation, the answer would be yes with 100% certainty. That being said, we know that the next generation Canon will probably address the issues that people are experincing with the 5D II.

Don't know if that helps or hinders the argument at all but this is where we are at with the whole brand thing.

Nikon D3 :rolleyes:

Thanks Ash, I really appreciate your input, It is interesting as you guys shoot with Canon. Im guessing it would cost a bomb to change at the level of photography you guys are at being pros and all.

I know I'm biased, but there is no way I would be switching to Canon - I know a few peeps that are ready to jump ship and change to Nikon. There is no comparison between the D80 and the D300s, tlc. Ask Ash, she has edited my photos from the D80 and the D300s. And when you take into account the money that you will lose...

ETA And I would kill for a D700, but there is no way that is going to happen in the near future :rolleyes: The D300s is still an awesome camera.

Edited by huga

Thanks guys,

Ruger, I have an 18 - 250 tamron and I rue the day I bought it, I will just have to stick with the 50mm for the time being! Till I have enough saved up for the upgrade, but I've made up my mind now to stick with Nikon for sure!

Eta dam predictive txt :D

Edited by tlc

Thanks guys,

River, I have an 18 - 250 tamron and I rue the day I bought it, I will just have to stick with the 50mm for the time being! Till I have enough saved up for the upgrade, but I've made up my mind now to stick with Nikon for sure!

I think that's a good idea. :D