Just Came Back From The Vet And Terribly Sad

Moselle

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:mad Thank you to all so very much, you have no idea just what each and everyone of your words mean to me :) I am so touched. Still getting over the shock, can't believe that she is gone. What an insidious disease cancer is. Fine one day and gone the next. I could never have imagined losing Sophie in this manner with no warning whatsoever! I thought she may have had gastro. Never in my wildest nightmare would I have expected Sophie to be taken from me so suddenly. Happy, tail wagging furiously, forever coming to me for hugs...until Friday when I noticed she was quieter than usual....

I had no idea that golden retrievers were so prone to this type of cancer. I was aware that boxers were predisposed to various cancers but somehow I never got around to finding out that GR were also susceptible. They don't show any signs of being unwell, their appetite can be great almost until the end, no weight loss...just no signs whatsoever! Life is so unfair but I will forever remember your amazing and touching words and gather strength from that. Thank you.

:rainbowbridge: RIP Sophie. You had a good life and were dearly loved.

Moselle, hugs. You must feel devastated. It will hurt for a long time, in fact, in some ways it will never stop hurting. Their lives are too short, it's just not fair.

I can say that for me, being with them at the very end makes the grieving time a little shorter - albeit just as painful. Hang in there for the time you can imagine her bounding joyfully over the fields of Rainbow Bridge without hurting over the loss.

So so sorry for ur loss.. I lost my heart dog ruby to cancer in apr 08. Not a day goes by that I don't think of her. She is still a very often visitor to my dreams. I don't think I will ever truly be over losing her so my heart goes out to you big time. I too didn't think I wouldn't be returning without my darling girl that day. She took her last breath in my arms unassisted by any drugs. That is how quick it took hold & took her from me... Pls take care...

Moselle, I have just gone throught this with my own dog. I did do the surgury and she did come out fine, but 5 weeks later she died in my arms. She ended up with a really bad chest infection. I just lost her last night, so I know what you are going through. If you are anything like me you would do anything for them.

May she rest in peace.

so sorry to hear this. I do believe you did the right thing. Surgery of that kind on a human is huge & a high risk let alone in a dog. I had a good friends dog pass in similar circumstances only in this situation the vet operated, she went home the next afternoon, ate tea & then died in her sleep. :laugh: Big hugs to you!

:laugh: Thank you to all so very much, you have no idea just what each and everyone of your words mean to me :eek: I am so touched. Still getting over the shock, can't believe that she is gone. What an insidious disease cancer is. Fine one day and gone the next. I could never have imagined losing Sophie in this manner with no warning whatsoever! I thought she may have had gastro. Never in my wildest nightmare would I have expected Sophie to be taken from me so suddenly. Happy, tail wagging furiously, forever coming to me for hugs...until Friday when I noticed she was quieter than usual....

I had no idea that golden retrievers were so prone to this type of cancer. I was aware that boxers were predisposed to various cancers but somehow I never got around to finding out that GR were also susceptible. They don't show any signs of being unwell, their appetite can be great almost until the end, no weight loss...just no signs whatsoever! Life is so unfair but I will forever remember your amazing and touching words and gather strength from that. Thank you.

German Shepherds are another breed predisposed to haemangiosarcoma. It's so terrible !

I am so sorry for your loss - it is mnever easy.

I went through something similar with one of my dallies(my heart dog) a few years ago. Diagnosed with lymphatic cancer on fIRIDAY - pts on Sunday morning. While it ripped me tp pieces at the time in hindsight I am very glad she didn't suffer fo weeks and months while I kept her alive for jusst one more day.'

These things are never easy but never doubt you did the right thing for Sophie and she will be waiting at the Brdige for you.

I can totally sympathise with your situation. We just lost Leila to cancer, she was 19 months old and it progressed so rapidly (2 weeks from symptoms to PTS). What made it even worse, GSPs arent predisposed to cancer, especially babies and the cancer she had was rare and doesnt have a good treatment protecol.

While we are still trying to come to terms with the situation, we are also so fortunate that we are able to make the decision to not let them suffer.The best we can do is feel happy that we provided them with everything they ever needed and that they had the best life they could have.

Having any dog with a poor prognosis is difficult but the lose of one with so little notice is even harder and you cant properly prepare yourself. I am so sorry for your loss.

So sorry for your loss Moselle - I, too,lost my beautiful GSD Sascha to cancer one year ago and had much the same scenario. Off color on the Thursday, vet on Friday who did the ultrasounds and gave us the prognosis. We took her home for the weekend and she really perked up but by Monday was down and we had to make the decision to PTS as the cancerous tumours were bleeding in to her stomach. She was just on 11 but really broke our hearts. Cannot believe that there are so many of us with the same stories - no warning, no weight loss, running and eating like normal until all of a sudden they are at death's door. Dogs are so stoic - they never complain so we have no idea what is going on with their bodies.

Take care and treasure your memories.