Throwing Up After Eating Raw?

cj-b

What am I doing wrong??? My 9 month old puppy, when he eats raw, premade or homemade, he throws it all back up, 75% of the time. I thought maybe it was becuase I was giving him too much at once, so I have offered him 1/2 am and 1/2pm (used to do 1/4 in am and 3/4 in pm) but he still vomitted this morning. I have tried different protein sources, but he still does it.

I tried cooking his barf for awhile, this worked he kept it down, but I know it's killing off alot of the good stuff, so reluctant to keep cooking it, but I feel I have no choice.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions???

Does he throw up immediately.. or some minutes after?

Does he gulp it all down, or is it meat with bone he has to work at ,chewing?

Often pups will just gulp a big mouthful down.. it hits the bottom...and bounces straight back out again!

I think you might be onto something here, as it is premade (big dog barf) he is getting at the moment, and he does gulp it down. I was first excited he was so eager to eat it, but also thought it might be the reason he vomits. It's not usually straight after eating it though, maybe 10mins after.

I offered giving him lamb flaps again the other day, as we have had no success with him eating bones, and he ate it, so again, I was excited about that as well. He still isn't overy fussed on bones, so I'm trying to slowly introduce them to it him. At this stage I will give him a lamb flap twice a week. Next week I will try to increase this to 3-4 times.

If it was a reaction to the raw itself, would it happen every time??? Sometimes he is fine, but 75% of the time he brings some of it back up. Not sure, what is happening.

Edited by cj-b

After he vomits- what happens? Does he eat it and keep it down- or do you give him something different?

Is it ok for him to eat it? I have been wondering that, if it is, sounds good to me, stops me from having to clean it up, lol. He really wants to, and eats some of it before I get to it. Nothing happens after him eating it, so that could prove your theory about him gulping it down to quickly, what do you think??? And is it ok for him to eat it. And depending on how much he has thrown up, if I usually give him more of the same or a natures gift small tin, probably shouldn't be doing that, and thinking about it as I type I feel silly for doing it. So if it's alright for him to eat his vomit, we might stick with that lol.

If it is only a few minutes after- then by all means let him clean up! :laugh: And, if he doesn't vomit again- I would suspect it is not a 'reaction' to an ingredient....

perhaps make feed time a game... break his meal up into 4 or 5 little mouthfuls , and place them on plates around the yard/house for him to seek out?

(don't let him watch)

Also make mealtime boring..... don't let him watch preparation ..don't use you voice to get him excited about dinner :eek:

If it is only a few minutes after- then by all means let him clean up! :) And, if he doesn't vomit again- I would suspect it is not a 'reaction' to an ingredient....

perhaps make feed time a game... break his meal up into 4 or 5 little mouthfuls , and place them on plates around the yard/house for him to seek out?

(don't let him watch)

Also make mealtime boring..... don't let him watch preparation ..don't use you voice to get him excited about dinner ;)

That's great advice thanks.

Does he actually vomit as in working up from the stomach or does he simply regurgitate as if it comes from the throat?

A healthy young dog should NOT throw up that often.

Yes, I would want want to investigate this also...

It is quite abnormal for a dog to vomit that much.

Can you try feeding him frequently in small aounts and see what happens?

Just a thought.............

I have recently found that mine chucks dinner up if there is roo mince involved. The whole lot comes up.

I have eliminated that mince and she has not chucked since.

Try giving only one type of meat at each meal - and see if the chucking correlates with any particular one.

I only give mine only two or three ribs from a Lamb flap at at a time because it is very fatty. She does need some fat in her diet - but not too much at once.

Edited by noisymina

Does he actually vomit as in working up from the stomach or does he simply regurgitate as if it comes from the throat?

A healthy young dog should NOT throw up that often.

Works it up, does the tummy tightening thing 3-4 times them up she comes. What do you think this means? Should I take him off Raw?

I have been doing some thinking today and I'm not sure it's raw related, as he would do it occasionally when he was fed only kibble and or some wet food added. So I wonder if it is that he can only handle smaller amount of food more often.

I gave him a smaller amount at lunch, and he kept it down, so I will try this again at dinner and if it stays down, I will try offering him 3 smaller meals a day and see if this works.

Edited by cj-b

Lilly is a gulper and a guts so our two get red 2 or 3 smaller meals a day. The first is always something they work for, like Roo tail or chicken carcass or lamb flap or pork hock. The next is less work, Roo mince or sardines or chicken necks or offal etc.

If they get the easy feed first Lilly takes guts to a whole new level. I could never feed them their whole days food in one sitting.

I really like the idea of 'hiding' the meal in small portions to be found.

Also I know several dogs that can't tolerate beef. Might be something to look at.

Lilly is a gulper and a guts so our two get red 2 or 3 smaller meals a day. The first is always something they work for, like Roo tail or chicken carcass or lamb flap or pork hock. The next is less work, Roo mince or sardines or chicken necks or offal etc.

If they get the easy feed first Lilly takes guts to a whole new level. I could never feed them their whole days food in one sitting.

Also I know several dogs that can't tolerate beef. Might be something to look at.

I really believe now it's chicken that sets him off. The kibble I used to fed that he would sometimes throw up was chicken based. And since I changed him over to a Lamb based kibble before giving the Raw another go, he didn't throw up once, and his itching subsided big time.

The barf he is being fed, I was told didn't contain chicken, but the box does say it does contain chicken carcuss, so I will check with again tomorrow, as if it does, then I'm certain it's the chicken that upsets him.

I really believe now it's chicken that sets him off. The kibble I used to fed that he would sometimes throw up was chicken based. And since I changed him over to a Lamb based kibble before giving the Raw another go, he didn't throw up once, and his itching subsided big time.

The barf he is being fed, I was told didn't contain chicken, but the box does say it does contain chicken carcuss, so I will check with again tomorrow, as if it does, then I'm certain it's the chicken that upsets him.

You may well be on to something. Avoid kibble and anything Pre made just feed pure protein for a few days, see how you go. You'll soon know.