Pitbull Rules

Heidii

can someone tell me, can you actually own a pitbull in australia? and if you do all you need to do is make sure its fully caged and muzzled in public etc?

If someone knows where i can find the legislation on this, that would be great

ETA. excuse my ignorence, someone has asked me this at work

Edited by Heidii

In Victoria, APBT ownership is governed by the Domestic Animals Act 1994 Pitbulls are a restricted breed for the purposes of the Act.

The relevant section of the Act is 41EA. It provides:

A person must not keep a restricted breed dog.

The Act provided for dogs already registered in Victoria before it was enacted. There is a 2 year period of grace for those people with restricted dogs in Victoria at the time the Act was introduced to register them.

The dogs must be muzzled and leashed at all times when off the owners premises and a suitable enclosure must be on the premises for them. They cannot be walked off the premises by someone under the age of 17 Homes must have warning signs. Section 17 of the Act provides that you cannot register a restricted breed of dog unless it is desexed. Basically, its now illegal to breed or buy an APBT in Victoria now.

Edited by poodlefan

• 3 months later...

WHAT ARE THE RULES FOR NEW SOUTH WALES ON PB'S

eg.. banning, fines, pts if caught with one, do they have to be caged/muzzeled registered with council?? INFO ASAP PLEASE.. p.s i do have own but a friend of a friend (i don't know) has some how got one ? 6 weeks f.f.sake people need some educating !

not blaming the breed but we all know what "tuff" blokes are like gahh!

bit late now for anything but i personally would like to know to pass it on if that is even possible

• 3 weeks later...
In Victoria, APBT ownership is governed by the Domestic Animals Act 1994 Pitbulls are a restricted breed for the purposes of the Act.

The relevant section of the Act is 41EA. It provides:

A person must not keep a restricted breed dog.

The Act provided for dogs already registered in Victoria before it was enacted. There is a 2 year period of grace for those people with restricted dogs in Victoria at the time the Act was introduced to register them.

The dogs must be muzzled and leashed at all times when off the owners premises and a suitable enclosure must be on the premises for them. They cannot be walked off the premises by someone under the age of 17 Homes must have warning signs. Section 17 of the Act provides that you cannot register a restricted breed of dog unless it is desexed. Basically, its now illegal to breed or buy an APBT in Victoria now.

You seem to have missed the changes that were enacted on 1 Sep 2010.

It's now legal to buy and register an APBT in Victoria provided you can prove the dog existed in Victoria prior to 1 Sep 2010

It's now legal to buy and register an APBT in Victoria provided you can prove the dog existed in Victoria prior to 1 Sep 2010

Yes for 2 years then its adios if your dog fit the "standard" whatever that is.

But at least it's something for already existing lookalike dogs.

Edit, just read your other post about there not being a standard yet..! crikey.

Thanks for posting, I am a follower on facebook. It's good to se someone taking steps forward to improve dog ownership, laws etc..!

Edited by geo

Thanks for posting, I am a follower on facebook. It's good to se someone taking steps forward to improve dog ownership, laws etc..!

After two 2 years you will still be able to register dogs that were in Victoria prior to 1 Sep 2010 if they have been registered (e.g. as a different breed) previously.

So, ensuring your dog is registered is the only way to be sure they won't take it and kill it under the current rules.

Microchips: ome Victorian Councils are checking the "breed" specified when the microchip details were submitted. Manningham got a warrant and broken into Ouzie's house after seeing 'pit bull' written on her microchip form (provided to them by CAR). Never mind that 'pit bull' is not a restricted breed (because it's not a breed). The ranger went round when the owner was not home and sighted the dog through the laundry window and came back with a warrant.

After two 2 years you will still be able to register dogs that were in Victoria prior to 1 Sep 2010 if they have been registered (e.g. as a different breed) previously.

So, ensuring your dog is registered is the only way to be sure they won't take it and kill it under the current rules.

Microchips: ome Victorian Councils are checking the "breed" specified when the microchip details were submitted. Manningham got a warrant and broken into Ouzie's house after seeing 'pit bull' written on her microchip form (provided to them by CAR). Never mind that 'pit bull' is not a restricted breed (because it's not a breed). The ranger went round when the owner was not home and sighted the dog through the laundry window and came back with a warrant.

The only way to ensure your dog is safe is to get rid of the dog-haters. Brumby is gone and the coalition needs to be convinced that dog lovers will get rid of them if thy continue down the same path. Is it possible to take legal action against CAR for releasing personal info?

I am feeling ever so slightly optimistic lately that we can eventually overturn BSL here in Australia and go for the far less offensive non breed specific legislations. Even a small victory somewhere in the world helps strengthen the cause. Italy has overturned its BSL laws, some states in America have been taken to court recently and their laws have been challenged and overturned(Oklahoma I think)

There is even much debate in the house of Lords in the UK as to whether it is constitutional to kill dogs based on breed/type. I hope that for every court victory -such as Bruce in Northern Ireland it makes the beuracrats a little bit more unsure that genocide is the option as one day they are going to be sued for a large amount of money by an astute dog owner.

I believe the recent case won by the dog owner in Oklahoma is now going further with the owner now sueing the city for court costs and stress caused by the BSL laws.

We need legislation to protect our Bull breeds from the monsters who abuse them not the other way around :smurfanim:

I am feeling ever so slightly optimistic lately that we can eventually overturn BSL here in Australia and go for the far less offensive non breed specific legislations. Even a small victory somewhere in the world helps strengthen the cause. Italy has overturned its BSL laws, some states in America have been taken to court recently and their laws have been challenged and overturned(Oklahoma I think)

There is even much debate in the house of Lords in the UK as to whether it is constitutional to kill dogs based on breed/type. I hope that for every court victory -such as Bruce in Northern Ireland it makes the beuracrats a little bit more unsure that genocide is the option as one day they are going to be sued for a large amount of money by an astute dog owner.

I believe the recent case won by the dog owner in Oklahoma is now going further with the owner now sueing the city for court costs and stress caused by the BSL laws.

We need legislation to protect our Bull breeds from the monsters who abuse them not the other way around :confused:

Yes, and lets remember Australia tends to follow in the footsteps of America and the UK so if things start to change over in those countries things will start to change here also. It is sad we rely so heavily on the laws of other counties.

I think as PitBull/Pitbull X lovers we should start to really try to enact change here. Peaceful protests, letter writing, asking the hard questions of Politicians who want to be elected as our local members/premiers etc.

I can only hope to see the hard work of many come to fruition during my life time.

• 4 weeks later...

Seems like the 'rules' off paper not the real world don't mean diddly squat no matter the states, a quick google on the net for apbt for sale shows the truth about how well the 'rules' are working.

Scrap the crap, its a waste of time all ways has been and all ways will be.

Edited by -GT-