One Answer

Steve

I'm quite sure that laws wont help this issue.

So far I have

poochmad

little Bear

Perry's Mum

sas

Anne

Jaxx's Buddy

Goldchow

Me

This is how it will work - Troy has given us a private spot to get this started where only those who have said they would like to have a go at finding and working on real solution which come to action will be able to have accesss to.When you log in you will have access to this but no one else will.

Thats because we will know we only have people who are wanting to help us find a solution and we dont get way laid by somone trying to stir and to enable us to come to some plans of action - get it all ready and moving before we share it . The only condition is that we leave any ideas of law change at the door.Anyone else before I give the list to Troy?

Even law abolishment as a change?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm quite sure that laws wont help this issue.

So far I have

poochmad

little Bear

Perry's Mum

sas

Anne

Jaxx's Buddy

Goldchow

Me

This is how it will work - Troy has given us a private spot to get this started where only those who have said they would like to have a go at finding and working on real solution which come to action will be able to have accesss to.When you log in you will have access to this but no one else will.

Thats because we will know we only have people who are wanting to help us find a solution and we dont get way laid by somone trying to stir and to enable us to come to some plans of action - get it all ready and moving before we share it . The only condition is that we leave any ideas of law change at the door.Anyone else before I give the list to Troy?

Even law abolishment as a change?

Im not saying that we wont be eventually led into petitioning for new laws or taking old laws away of law change - but for now - forget laws.

I dont think being a rebel and challenging laws etc is the answer.

Im thinking of coming at it from a different angle. I dont want the MDBA to be seen as a bunch of rednecks.

What about not being a redneck rebel, but still being open to the idea of law change? Cause laws get changed by sensible lobbying, not by large mobs of loud bogans.

Can I please join in?

Can you please add me to the list too Steve? I'm currently between jobs so have a bit of time on my hands although that may change next year.

We actually own our apartment in central sydney and it was still a fight to be allowed to have two cats because one of the other tenants thought it would encourage other tenants to apply to keep a dog...WTF????? I would love to add a dog at some stage but know that my chance of getting permission is slim to none when I already have two cats.

Anyway suppose I'm saying it's not all renters with the problems although they are probably in the majority. Actions that target strata management would also help.

Im thinking of coming at it from a different angle. I dont want the MDBA to be seen as a bunch of rednecks.

What about not being a redneck rebel, but still being open to the idea of law change? Cause laws get changed by sensible lobbying, not by large mobs of loud bogans.

Can I please join in?

In about 2 minutes when we roll out our first visible approach you will see that we are open to law changes when everything is in the right place and going after what we want in a unique way and Im not saying we are not open to it on this issue - Im saying we want to work on ways which dont require law changes to start and if we get to that its a way off and would only come with lots of homework.

Can I please join in?

In about 2 minutes when we roll out our first visible approach you will see that we are open to law changes when everything is in the right place and going after what we want in a unique way and Im not saying we are not open to it on this issue - Im saying we want to work on ways which dont require law changes to start and if we get to that its a way off and would only come with lots of homework.

That is a good approach. :grimace:

As a landlord I have found SOME dog owners could not give a damn that they are allowing their furkids to trash someone else's property. I have one vacant property at the moment and am most hesitant to take anyone with a dog. A few do ruin it for the majority of responsible dog owners.

As a landlord I have found SOME dog owners could not give a damn that they are allowing their furkids to trash someone else's property. I have one vacant property at the moment and am most hesitant to take anyone with a dog. A few do ruin it for the majority of responsible dog owners.

And unless we address this, we will not get anywhere.

But there are solutions working in some parts of the world, and maybe one can be found for here too.

Some of the people I know who rent also lie on their applications stating they have no pets when they have multiple. These people have been kicked out of every rental property they have been accepted into because they lied about their pets surely that also reflects badly on pet owners who would love to rent with their pets and don't do the wrong thing.

I would love to be able to rent with my dog, but despite having good references from her vet and the boarding kennel she goes to when we go on holidays my husband and I were knocked back every time. She is a lab x Kelpie about a medium size and due to her having mild HD and arthritis I don't really want her to be an outside only dog another reason we were given about her is that most land lords feel she is too big of a dog to rent with.

So in the end since we were desperate to get a home my dog is back with my parents for the time being, I still do all her looking after but it really hurts that I couldn't rent a house and be able to keep her with me.

--Lhok

Slightly Off Topic, but running with the MDBA theme............would Troy create a sub-forum for MDBA, so all the relevant threads could be kept in one spot and we dont have to got searching for them??? Especially for those of us who are average DOL frequenters, may miss a thread but still want to contribute!!

:laugh: My humblest apologies if such a sub forum already exists....... :laugh:

Slightly Off Topic, but running with the MDBA theme............would Troy create a sub-forum for MDBA, so all the relevant threads could be kept in one spot and we dont have to got searching for them??? Especially for those of us who are average DOL frequenters, may miss a thread but still want to contribute!!

:laugh: My humblest apologies if such a sub forum already exists....... :laugh:

I am very interested in this topic especially pets in strata units.

Please add me to any List or working party to do with companion animals in rental/community housing.

I believe any Law/By Law etc can be changed by going about it the correct way.

Unfortunately people also allow their kids to damage property, friends, family members and shock horror even adults with good jobs can damage a property and not pay for repairs.

As a renter with pets, and as a human being, I find it disgraceful that people would treat another person's property with such disrespect. If damage occurs- pay for the repairs. Easy peasy!! Take some friggen responsibility for your actions.

On the othe hand though I dislike how pet owning renters are often overlooked purely because they have animals. I bet many of the landlords have pets of their own - do they allow their animals to run riot??! Just becaus someone is renting does not mean they are irresponsible, uncaring, etc.

We recently had to find a new rental as the owner of our old place wanted to move back in. We found a house with brand new fences, mostly tiled inside, large undercover area etc so perfect for the dogs and perfect for the landlord as it seriously limits the indoor areas (we shut off the back of the house with baby gates) the dogs have free access too (the only carpeted area they have is the living room an they spend most of the time on the couch or dog bed!), and they are crated in our bedrooms at night.

When we got the bond back from the previous place it came with a note that the house was in perfect condition with the yard in better condition than when we moved in!!!

Any damage that may occur either from us or the animals will be repaired at our cost because it's called being a mature adult.

But I'm not sure what can be done to improve the ability to find rentals for pet owners- I think that ties in with the irresponsible ownership really- reduce irresponsible pet owners- increase landlords willing to rent to people with pets!??

Perhaps some advice given out to landlords about renting to people with pets? The pros of it (homes with dogs are theoretically less likely to be broken into??).

And maybe introduce a legal pet bond or work with insurance companies to introduce specific pet damage cover??

Maybe introduce a type of insurance that pet owners can take out, like public liability insurance, to cover against pet damage???

Count me in, as a renter with two cats and a bird currently I dread ever having to find another place, and although I desperately want one I won't get a dog until I own.

poochmad

little Bear

Perry's Mum

sas

Anne

Jaxx's Buddy

Goldchow

Me

Lhok

Espinay2

Melzawelza

shazzapug

Have I missed anyone ?

Edited by Steve

Count me in, as a renter with two cats and a bird currently I dread ever having to find another place, and although I desperately want one I won't get a dog until I own.

poochmad

little Bear

Perry's Mum

sas

Anne

Jaxx's Buddy

Goldchow

Me

Lhok

Espinay2

Melzawelza

shazzapug