Itchy Dog Creams?

julzjc

Morning everyone, quick question, popping out to the shops in a couple hours. What can I safetly put on Bonnies armpits to give her some instant relief from her grass allergies? She is a heck of alot better than last year, the only problem spots are her paws and armpits. Past day she has decided to scratch them until raw and bleeding, big scabby mess under her armpits now. Ive put some savalon on just now and seems to have done the trick but can I use that is better for the job? Trying to avoid the injection as she is growing out of her allergies. Forgot to say that she has had her Malaseb bath but it did absolutly nothing to help her or sooth her armpits.

The grass is being kept short but stupid still insits on crawling across the grass as soon as she gets the chance. Staffords, who'd have them?! :grimace:

Morning everyone, quick question, popping out to the shops in a couple hours. What can I safetly put on Bonnies armpits to give her some instant relief from her grass allergies? She is a heck of alot better than last year, the only problem spots are her paws and armpits. Past day she has decided to scratch them until raw and bleeding, big scabby mess under her armpits now. Ive put some savalon on just now and seems to have done the trick but can I use that is better for the job? Trying to avoid the injection as she is growing out of her allergies. Forgot to say that she has had her Malaseb bath but it did absolutly nothing to help her or sooth her armpits.

The grass is being kept short but stupid still insits on crawling across the grass as soon as she gets the chance. Staffords, who'd have them?! :grimace:

Cortavance spray from your vet may help her.

Cortavance spray from your vet may help her.

When Ive had her at the vets previously, granted it was the vets I have now left, they always said it was either Malaseb bath or injection so doubt they would have it. Ill try going in past on my way home from the shops to ask them.

Anti histamine tablets?

Aloe vera gel like THIS I have used it on our dogs for burns/itches.

Any specific anti histamine? Dosage for a 25kg dog? Beautiful, I have that exact Aloe vera gel in the house somewhere, no side affects if she decided to lick it all off?

Sorry for short replies, getting kids ready for school.

We use "Ilium Neocort" which is an antibiotic, anti-inflamatory, anaesthetic skin emollient cream. We get it from our vet.

Edited to say: It also causes a numbing affect which stops them from itching. :grimace:

Edited by Jimmay

The only thing that's going to provide complete relief is an anti inflammatory - eg cortisone based cream. You may be able to pick up something with a small amount of cortisone in it from the chemist, but otherwise, something like Neocort, Neo-topic or Cortivance is the way to go.

Antihistamines can help, but whilst its so inflamed and irritated now, they're not going to be enough to fix the problem she's already caused so it's going to remain itchy.

There is a natural product called Goodos Rovers Relief. We used to sell it in the shop I managed and everyone raved about it. People used to buy it for their own skin conditions too!

I used it on my Bull Terrier (arm pits, belly etc) and it definately worked on her. You should be able to get it online, just google it.

I use Zyrtec anti histamines, half a prednisolone tablet a day and Elecon cream for my allergy dog. With the huge pollen levels we are having at the moment in Perth it seems that the Prednisolone ( cortisone) is the only thing giving him any relief. He is also on immunotherapy. If the dog is really itchy I would take her to the vet/derm and let them help you with meds etc.

Thanks everyone, I will phone my vet in a little while after I do some googling. Ive tried paw paw but she found it too tasty. Her armpits are in a mess but atleast she isnt getting hives all over like last year. She is still scratching after the aloe vera and savalon, off to google....