Aremis Or Nutro?

cavvysavvy

You're comparing apples with oranges, as Artemis is holistic. While the idea of using Australian made is nice, not all of the ingredients in Nutro are Australian. I also prefer to avoid wheat for my own dogs and while no Artemis products contain it, some of the Nutro range does.

It really depends upon which variety of each brand you are considering, as well as your own dog's needs. Both brands have multiple varieties, designed to suit different lifestyles, calorie requirements and so forth, so it isn't as simple as choosing between say Coca Cola and Pepsi.

In the end, it generally comes down to how your dog does on a food, rather than how other people's dogs have done, but it certainly helps to get feedback to weigh up as well.

Sags

:)

I'm using Nutro for my Puppy after something upset his tummy. The Nutro is great, not so much poo to pick up either :)

I'm disappointed because I recently changed my girls to Nutro and the amount of poo hasn't changed :)

Just goes to show what works for some doesn't work for others! I used to feed Advance all the time and had no problems with it, but loads of people have had complaints about Advance. I'm going back to raw feeding soon I think :(

We have fed Nutro since 2000, albeit initially the US product.

We have had no issues at all with Nutro, and have weaned our litters on to Nutro puppy food.

During the period when Nutro was not available here we tried Artemis, Orijen, and Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Ultra, with not very good results.

We also fed a homemade diet but found that the dogs had sloppy poohs. NOT good when we have 8 who are all house dogs. :)

I use Nutro as my pup was on advance and he was doing whooper farts to i changed to nurto and no more stinky farts :laugh:

Nutro is great for my Samoyeds too :eat:

Its been fantastic for my fussy eater and has been very helpfull keeping weight on my very active boy.

When I fed my black labs Artemis unfortunately they did not do well on it with soft poo and lack lustre coats with dandruff. They were fed Nutro before Artemis but when Nutro was banned from being imported I had to swap them over to a different dry food and I tried several, including Artemis all with varying results and none compared to the fantastic condition they were in when on Nutro.

When Nutro started being manufactured in Australia I was a bit apprehensive about trying this new range as the recipe did differ from what was being imported from the States, but I thought I would give it a go due to problems with the various other brands I tried my boys on and all falling short in keeping their coat condition compared to the fantastic results when on Nutro. I bit the bullet and put them on the Australian version Nutro and once again their coats have returned to their fantastic condition. I initially had my lab pup on Advance, but I wasn't happy with it both coat and poo wise and I also swapped him over to Nutro and the difference in coat condition and poo was once again fantastic with coat going from drab and dry to shiny/glossy and soft and the poos firmer. Having black labs you can see the change in coat condition much more easily.

I have recently purchased some Black Hawk food to try my boys on as this food has been getting some pretty good reviews here on DOL so will start transitioning my youngster soon and my older boys when their Nutro supply gets lower. Whilst my boys are only feed 30-50% dry food with the balance being RMB, veges, raw eggs, yoghurt, cottage cheese and other supplements, I find the dry food impacts their coat condition and poo very quickly if I change their dry food, so hopefully if the Black Hawk lives up to its reputation, then theoretically, their glossy coats and firm poos should remain or their coats become even glossier :(

Having black labs you can see the change in coat condition much more easily.

Same with the chocolate. Millie's coat isn't it's usual glossy self at the moment, but her undercoat is coming out in chunks which is when her coat doesn't look its best. My girls have been on Nutro for a few weeks now, I will use the rest of the packet and see if things improve with their coats and poos. Ruby's are a tad too soft for my liking on this food. Hopefully it's just a case of their bodies still getting used to it!

when Nutro was banned from being imported

Out of fairness to the original product, Nutro was never banned. It changed hands (was sold to Masterfoods/Mars who also own Advance, Pedigree, Royal Canin etc), and with the imminent plans to manufacture here, the NZ distributor was no longer able to supply Australia.

Sags

:laugh:

when Nutro was banned from being imported

Out of fairness to the original product, Nutro was never banned. It changed hands (was sold to Masterfoods/Mars who also own Advance, Pedigree, Royal Canin etc), and with the imminent plans to manufacture here, the NZ distributor was no longer able to supply Australia.

Sags

:D

Oh that's interesting as I believed it was banned for another reason, can't remember exactly what it was whether it was something to do with the way it was manufactured and I was very upset when it was no longer available as were a number of other DOLERS as the reason for banning didn't make sense at the time as I couldn't understand as why allow it to be imported in the first place then place a ban on it. I may do a search in the DOL archives as I know there were discussion threads regarding the reason it was "banned".

I still would like to know why they changed the receipe though from the US receipe. Do you have any inside info on that :laugh:

Orijen had problems with being imported due to irradiation. Maybe you are thinking about that?

I asked a Pro Plan rep about changes to recipes and she said it was due to availability of different foods here.

thanks but I wasn't thinking of the issue with Orijen as I believed the Nutro issue was something to do with the way it was cooked, so I did a search back thru the Nutro threads and found the following post from 4Paws:

4Paws

17th Apr 2008 - 01:59 PM

I received an email from the importer this morning notifiying that Nutro will be unavailable immediately till furthur notice

The manufacturer being unable to meet the import requirements of the Aust Quarantine Inspection Service.

They require the product to be cooked at a higher temperature and pressure than the company would consider nutritionally acceptable

Orijen had problems with being imported due to irradiation. Maybe you are thinking about that?

I asked a Pro Plan rep about changes to recipes and she said it was due to availability of different foods here.

thanks but I wasn't thinking of the issue with Orijen as I believed the Nutro issue was something to do with the way it was cooked, so I did a search back thru the Nutro threads and found the following post from 4Paws:

4Paws

I received an email from the importer this morning notifiying that Nutro will be unavailable immediately till furthur notice

The manufacturer being unable to meet the import requirements of the Aust Quarantine Inspection Service.

They require the product to be cooked at a higher temperature and pressure than the company would consider nutritionally acceptable

It is actually the same issue. If the product is not cooked enough for AQIS then it has to be irradiated.

4Paws

Yes - that is how I remember it too.

Cleraly there was never any intention to irradiate the Nutro product.

I also would like to know why the formula is different. ;)