How To Approach Neighbours

Sheridan

Weird, no?

It is a bit. It doesnt even look like ruger's posts.

Sheridan, I totally understand where you're coming from. Nice neighbourhood relationshionships and all that. You'll just have to ask them to MOVE THE FRIGGING TRAMP - but not like that. Dont yell at them :laugh: My god I've got a neighbour with a tramp and I really really want to kill them...

i think it might be a different ruger, this one has only 27 posts that all look the same :(

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think it might be a different ruger, this one has only 27 posts that all look the same :laugh:

:laugh::( ;) Poor ruger will probably taser my ass for posting before I read the whole thread. Sorry, mate (not you, ruger...the other ruger)

Sheridan does need to do something about the situation, but IMO that would be to control her dogs. [/color][/size][/font]

Ruger, perhaps you could provide some suggestions on this point. It would be much more helpful than overusing the :( symbol. Please bear in mind that I have a nearly 15-year-old dog who has dementia and fading eyesight. I will be interested in reading your thoughts. ;)

My first suggestion would be to actually meet your neighbours and introduce your dogs to the kids, let them get used to the kids playing, jumping on the trampoline and making noise and reassure them that the kids are not a threat by your postive reaction. It's called being neighbourly :laugh:

Poor Grumpy - all he wants is some peace and quiet in his own backyard.

I would ask the neighbors if it's possible to move the trampoline - say your worried the kids might hurt themselves on the fence (and that your worried the dog will be barking and annoying neighbors etc). I think it's neighborly for the neighbors to move the trampoline away from the fence line... also much safer!

Whilst I love kids - doesn't mean they are more important than dogs - both are living beings.

Sheridan should be able to enjoy her backyard in privacy - without kids peering into her yard.

P.S. I love the suggestion of romping nude in the backyard - that would sure induce the parents to move the trampoline :laugh:

P.S. I love the suggestion of romping nude in the backyard - that would sure induce the parents to move the trampoline :laugh:

:( Or wear a brightly coloured kimono and flash some sparkly g string.

What I actually love is the name Grumpy for a big terrier. I think Sheridan needs to release him on the squealing kids. Go Grumpy!

I have grown some petosterums (sp?) on the rear boundary of my property. They aren't my favourite but I'm not growing them as many/most do (ie as a dense screen/hedge). Instead, I've strategically selected certain points. Their purpose is to provide a bit of privacy but also to put my dog off any thoughts of trying to join the neighbour's children for playtime. I have wonderful rear neighbours who have watched with fond interest at how Mandela has developed and grown. They even asked me if I thought it might be ok for them to get a dog - they didn't want to get one if I thought it would cause problems with my boy. I mean, how good is that? Of course they are entitled to use their backyard in any way they wish, and that would include a trampoline if they had one, but I know that if I asked them to help me out by doing something to make training of my dog easier, they would do it. Anyway, back to the petosterums (sp?) ..... they are fairly fast growing and you can hedge them more densely if you want to.

Edited by Erny

ok guys, point taken, not many of you like my views or share them so can we leave it at that now - I get the point - I'm a rude, aggressive person apparently. If you can just think of me as the person who loves their kids more than life that'd be great. No more posts for me.

Arguing with Sheridan is something that happens to everyone sooner or later. :laugh: Don't let it put you off, it doesn't mean anything. :(

P.S. I love the suggestion of romping nude in the backyard - that would sure induce the parents to move the trampoline :(

Or it might just entice the parents to start using the trampoline. :laugh:

I now have a visual of naked parents romping on a trampoline. Gee thanks. I'm totally traumatised. Poor Grumpy would probably be traumatised as well

I have a neighbour from hell who doesnt like dogs, and certainly doesnt like barking dogs, so I really feel for you rite now =( its hard to deal with a neighbour whom u have no relationship with, or u dnt even know how they are like.

I guess Ruger kinda represented some people that dont necessary love dogs like we do, so they won't understand why they should move THEIR stuff, just because some animals cant handle THEIR kids' attentions/screams. On the other hand, they might even want you to move your dogs inside so they dont get too noisy....

Just try to be prepared for the worst, stay calm and positive and try have a casual chat with them and see how they are like, I am sure it will all work out for u =)

P.S. I love the suggestion of romping nude in the backyard - that would sure induce the parents to move the trampoline :(

Or it might just entice the parents to start using the trampoline. :laugh:

So glad to see that there are other people with the same twisted mind as my own. Maybe you could get your own trampoline and you jump up and down in the nude.

Sorry, not a helpful suggestion at all. I'm with Grumpy on this one. It would drive ME crazy. If my neighbours had ever needed to ask me to move a trampoline for those reasons, I would have have been embarrassed not to have thought of the problem myself. I'm older and grumpier these days and love MY privacy and quiet. I think it would be very reasonable to ask.

All jocularity aside, Sheridan is obviously trying to be a good neighbour and keep her dog sane at the same time. Jumping up and down over the fence, screaming at a decibel that would drop a plane out of the sky and comments like 'oohh doggy' is enough to drive anyone and their dog demented.

Just go and have a chat with them, sheridan. You're not backwards in coming forwards so for the sake of your sanity and poor old Grumpy, just ask them to move the tramp (and gag their little feral children). I feel for you and the old boy. What a bloody nightmare.

Okay, nakedness unnecessary. Thankfully :laugh:

I noticed some activity down the back so went down to see what was going on. They were putting a safety net up around the trampoline so I jumped up on a garden bed to say hello and it went very well. Lovely family, who said they'd waited for two years to put it up because they didn't want to disturb the neighbours and that they'd take it down if it bothered me. Whoever suggested they didn't have anywhere else to put it had it exactly right. There's nowhere else it will fit. I'm going to take Mini around to meet the kids (thank you, Ruger) and I asked them to let me know if the dogs bark too much. Won't take Master Grump around. I did say that one of them was fairly old. They said they don't mind dogs barking as they'd grown up with them. The net is around two foot higher than my fence and is black so I doubt the dogs will see the kids at all with it. When I was talking to them, the dogs were hanging around but took no notice of the conversation, which was great. They were really considerate and really nice.

Thanks to everyone for the positive thoughts and suggestions. :(

Okay, nakedness unnecessary. Thankfully :(

I noticed some activity down the back so went down to see what was going on. They were putting a safety net up around the trampoline so I jumped up on a garden bed to say hello and it went very well. Lovely family, who said they'd waited for two years to put it up because they didn't want to disturb the neighbours and that they'd take it down if it bothered me. Whoever suggested they didn't have anywhere else to put it had it exactly right. There's nowhere else it will fit. I'm going to take Mini around to meet the kids (thank you, Ruger) and I asked them to let me know if the dogs bark too much. Won't take Master Grump around. I did say that one of them was fairly old. They said they don't mind dogs barking as they'd grown up with them. The net is around two foot higher than my fence and is black so I doubt the dogs will see the kids at all with it. When I was talking to them, the dogs were hanging around but took no notice of the conversation, which was great. They were really considerate and really nice.

Thanks to everyone for the positive thoughts and suggestions. ;)

Excellent outcome. Good for you. Glad it all turned out well and hope that the problem is solved. :laugh:

ok guys, point taken, not many of you like my views or share them so can we leave it at that now - I get the point - I'm a rude, aggressive person apparently. If you can just think of me as the person who loves their kids more than life that'd be great. No more posts for me.

hallelujah! People who HAVE TO BRING THEIR POINT ACROSS IN CAPS LIKE THIS are extremely frustrating!!!!

And not everyone likes kids (me), you may love your own but some of us love our dogs as much as if they were kids

Sheridan - I am sure your dogs will adjust (eventually :( ). We live on one of those "new estates" - houses on small blocks all together (our neighbors garage wall makes up part of our boundary fence). The kids next door have their trampoline set up in a similar situation to your neighbors and we have recently moved ours to mirror it. Sometimes my dogs bark but its out of excitement now and if they go out their whilst the neighbors kids are on it they usually go for a look and a bit of company LOL.

Unfortunately in most cities the days of the big house and large block are gone. Not everyone is inconsiderate, nor are most children deliberately trying to harm/torment/tease everyones dogs making and make their lives a misery. Unfortunately for the kids who are like this you really only have the parents to blame.

I do understand that there are people who arent fond of children on here but not all kids (and parents ;) ) are monsters.

And getting back to the showdog comment - I live near the Canberra shows and we regularly go for a look, both my girls know not to approach and pat dogs without permission - its only good manners they also definitely know not to pat the beautiful white poodles after having a red calipo ice-cream :laugh: