Help! Our Puppy Just Chewed A Hole In The Leather Couch!--upda

Huntia

Help!!!!!!! My 6 month old rr puppy just chewed a 20 cm hole in our leather couch :laugh: ;) :eek:

He regularly destroys his beds (doesn't eat them just shreds them to pieces) so we bought him a canvas cover for a trampoline bed and that seems to have fixed the problem.

But tonight i was putting the kids to bed and the puppy was left alone in the family room for less than 3 minutes, and I have come back out to find the puppy happily chewing a 20 cm hole in the leather couch. He has never shown any interest in the couch before (besides jumping on it).

He has lots of toys and likes to chew plastic bottles, and there was a fresh plastic bottle only 40 cm away, but he chose the leather couch!!!! I have put eucalyptus oil around the hole he has chewed to try and deter him from making it any bigger.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to stop him from chewing things he shouldn't and any phone numbers for a good upholster!!!!!!

:o:eek::o

post-35988-1290249875_thumb.jpg

Edited by Huntia

Oh no, that's always been my worst nightmare (OH and I bought a brand new leather couch RIGHT before we got our puppy).

Can you block his access to that room? I personally feel that most sprays you can buy do nothing and your best bet is to keep them away from the object in question.

I was told to use roll on deodorant (they hate the taste), it worked for me. Nothing beats proper supervision and training to ensure he knows couch is not touched ever with teeth and redirect to put teeth on something more appropriate (food or toy). My boy never touched the couch thankfully but then again that was always off limits and we kept him penned (or I was watching over him like a hawk). Only thing I had trouble with was skirting boards, corner of the rug and toilet paper, oh and I lost a mobile phone charger because I was stupid enough to leave the door open to my office once (lucky puppy was OK :eek: ).

Edited by Rottigirl

In reality 100% supervision plus kids and other dogs is really difficult. WOuld you consider a crate? One of my dogs is the most destructive dog I've ever come across and a crate has kept my sanity, although only holding on by a thread :eek: If I leave the room he either comes with me or goes in his crate. He's almost one now so I am better at reading his 'moods' and am now able to leave the room and anticipate his movements. It does get better! My boy loves Wasabi, Chilli, Bitter Bite etc - so don't always rely on these things to work.

Haven't had any furnature chewed ( luckily my boys not a big chewer) BUT my darling child broke through the side gate and thought it might be fun to chew through the wiring to my air conditioner. I'm shocked he didn't fry himself.

I agree with others. The sprays don't work really well. My guy licks it off now. Roll on is an interesting idea though.

How much exercise and mental stimulation does he get?

He usually gets walked each evening for 30 -40 min and this includes probably 15 -20 minutes of free running and playing at the dog park. Yesterday morning we had been at a dog show with him, so he was pretty tired from that, and we played with him for 10-15minutes ( this included 5min of quick basic obedience training) in the backyard before the kids went to bed.

i had roused on him for jumping on the couch just before i left the room, so maybe it was a revenge attack!!LOL :laugh::(

In reality 100% supervision plus kids and other dogs is really difficult. WOuld you consider a crate? One of my dogs is the most destructive dog I've ever come across and a crate has kept my sanity, although only holding on by a thread :( If I leave the room he either comes with me or goes in his crate. He's almost one now so I am better at reading his 'moods' and am now able to leave the room and anticipate his movements. It does get better! My boy loves Wasabi, Chilli, Bitter Bite etc - so don't always rely on these things to work.

If he even looks at the couch sideways I will be considering putting the crate in the family room and him in it. It would be impossible to block him off from that room as it is an open plan kitchen/dining/ family room that leads onto the back yard at the back at the frontyard from the front door.

I was just so shocked as he had shown no interest in the couch before than.

He picks up the kids toys and runs around with them but never hurts them and gives them back on command, and he has only done minor damage to one pair of shoes. He does destroy beds that have stuffing in them but other than that not much damage until now. I could handle a few pairs of destroyed shoes over the couch!! :laugh: ;) :laugh:

So far the eucalyptus oil seems to be deterring him. I will be reapplying it tonight.

Help!!!!!!! My 6 month old rr puppy just chewed a 20 cm hole in our leather couch :eat::eek: :D

He regularly destroys his beds (doesn't eat them just shreds them to pieces) so we bought him a canvas cover for a trampoline bed and that seems to have fixed the problem.

But tonight i was putting the kids to bed and the puppy was left alone in the family room for less than 3 minutes, and I have come back out to find the puppy happily chewing a 20 cm hole in the leather couch. He has never shown any interest in the couch before (besides jumping on it).

He has lots of toys and likes to chew plastic bottles, and there was a fresh plastic bottle only 40 cm away, but he chose the leather couch!!!! I have put eucalyptus oil around the hole he has chewed to try and deter him from making it any bigger.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to stop him from chewing things he shouldn't and any phone numbers for a good upholster!!!!!!

:eek::eek::eek:

Your fault, you never ever leave a puppy unsupervised with free run of the house.

If at any time you can not watch a puppy you need to put it in a pen or crate.

Why so shocked? It's a puppy, they chew stuff. Next thing it will be your Sunglasses, Remote Control, Coffee table. Very simple solution....as per above....NEVER ever leave your puppy unsupervised with free fun of the house....it's like giving a toddler a can of paint and a brush and leaving them in the house when you go to work.

i had roused on him for jumping on the couch just before i left the room, so maybe it was a revenge attack!!LOL :laugh: :D

That's just a joke eh, you don't believe the puppy can reason like that?

Edited by sas

Help!!!!!!! My 6 month old rr puppy just chewed a 20 cm hole in our leather couch :D :mad:eek:

:eek::eek::eek:

Your fault, you never ever leave a puppy unsupervised with free run of the house.

Why so shocked? It's a puppy, they chew stuff. Next thing it will be your Sunglasses, Remote Control, Coffee table. Very simple solution....as per above....NEVER ever leave your puppy unsupervised with free fun of the house....it's like giving a toddler a can of paint and a brush and leaving them in the house when you go to work.

i had roused on him for jumping on the couch just before i left the room, so maybe it was a revenge attack!!LOL :laugh: :D

Yes it was a joke. I think I needed to see some humour in the situation!! :eat::)

I agree it is the owners fault most of the time. But in my defense he had never shown an interest in the couch, he has never been crated, and until now no problems and ( we must be just lucky until now!!) we have had him since he was 8 weeks of age, and if it was the remotes or my sunnies etc i would understand alot more than him ripping and chewing a hole in the side of the couch.

And yes until I get a firmer hold on the situation his freedom has been curtailed somewhat.

Help!!!!!!! My 6 month old rr puppy just chewed a 20 cm hole in our leather couch :) :D :rofl:

:eek::o :D

i had roused on him for jumping on the couch just before i left the room, so maybe it was a revenge attack!!LOL :):wave:

OMG of course she wasn't for real.... haha I wonder if she had also said she thought he can talk, play cards, or do all sorts of tricks to show all the know it alls out there, sometimes puppies can get into mischief and not do as they are told and not follow the books, you thought she has for real. ;) OMG of course it was a joke :(

ETA Maybe I shouldn't have a dog if I'm not going to cage it up or watch it every single second its out of it's cage (or crate, which ever wording makes you feel better). Come on, in reality young puppies do naughty things, you can try to prevent it, but sometimes you can't.

Huntia, I hope it can be fixed.

Edited by cj-b

He has become an adolescent, the dreaded stage of a dog's development :( and this is when they do things they have never done before and can be right royal ratbags getting up to all sorts of mischief. :) My current Lab youngster (14mths), was a fantastic pup who never destroyed his toys and had only had an odd chew on the TV stand, but once he became an adolescent the little bugger decided to go big :) and the couch seat cushions became his first victim. :rofl: I started crating him after this when I went out for anywhere from 1-3 hrs (I worked from home) for a few weeks and then gradually let him have his freedom in the family room with my older lab boys like he used to and he was great for awhile, then decided to have another go at the couch cushions, so once again into the crate or outside he went (weather dependent) when I had to go out. Once again after a couple of weeks, I gradually gave him his freedom inside when I went out and apart from dragging the dogs beds and futons and blankets around, he never did any more damage.

From about 9months he seemed to have turned a corner, no more couch cushion chewing, no more pulling clothes off the line, no more counter surfing etc :wave: Apart from a couple of these couch chewing episodes, he has really been a fabulous pup and the only one out of all my lab youngsters that I have allowed access to both inside and outside when I am not home as I have two senior labs that mainly live inside during the colder months with outside access.

He has become an adolescent, the dreaded stage of a dog's development :( and this is when they do things they have never done before and can be right royal ratbags getting up to all sorts of mischief. :) My current Lab youngster (14mths), was a fantastic pup who never destroyed his toys and had only had an odd chew on the TV stand, but once he became an adolescent the little bugger decided to go big :) and the couch seat cushions became his first victim. :rofl: I started crating him after this when I went out for anywhere from 1-3 hrs (I worked from home) for a few weeks and then gradually let him have his freedom in the family room with my older lab boys like he used to and he was great for awhile, then decided to have another go at the couch cushions, so once again into the crate or outside he went (weather dependent) when I had to go out. Once again after a couple of weeks, I gradually gave him his freedom inside when I went out and apart from dragging the dogs beds and futons and blankets around, he never did any more damage.

From about 9months he seemed to have turned a corner, no more couch cushion chewing, no more pulling clothes off the line, no more counter surfing etc :wave: Apart from a couple of these couch chewing episodes, he has really been a fabulous pup and the only one out of all my lab youngsters that I have allowed access to both inside and outside when I am not home as I have two senior labs that mainly live inside during the colder months with outside access.

I love this idea, my boy is 9 months old, so I'm keeping a good eye on him. But will use your ideas if he decides to turn into a wild teenager. Although, he is only a small dog, hopefully he will soon be turning to a know it all early aged adult, lol.