Quarantine Stations ?

shortstep

Anyone know what this is all about?

From Dog News on the front page if DOL.

MAJOR QUARANTINE CHANGES

Leases on all Stations to expire

With all 3 of the AQIS operated Quarantine Stations facing closure, Australian dog breeders and animal transport agents are becoming increasingly concerned at Government delays in implementing the major and inevitable changes required to Australia's quarantine system.

Expiry dates on leases for the 3 sites - Eastern Creek (Sydney), Spotswood (Melbourne) and Byford (Perth) - range from Nov. 2010 until 2015. According to Government sources all options for renewal have already been exhausted.

Change is imminent in Victoria with Spotswood Quarantine Station's lease ending this month. The Spotswood facility lease originally expired in 2007, was renewed until 2008 after a court case, and then again until Nov. 2010. There has been no further extension.

According to Dogs WA, Western Australia's Byford facility, which regularly operates at 100% capacity, is expected to close by 2013.

Edited by shortstep

Why is this? Are these centres not making a profit? What happens if they all close? How do you bring in animals or you can't at all? :laugh:

I really have no idea and have only just heard about this, so hoping someone knows what is going on.

My first though was that the decsions has been made to stop all imports and exprots of live animals.

I hope I am just over reacting...???.

All three quarantine stations are run under lease. All leases are set to expire in the next few (5ish??) years.

Apparently the land is worth more for development purposes than it is as a quarantine station.

The cost of building new facilities is horrendous.

No idea what the next step should be :laugh:

All three quarantine stations are run under lease. All leases are set to expire in the next few (5ish??) years.

Apparently the land is worth more for development purposes than it is as a quarantine station.

The cost of building new facilities is horrendous.

No idea what the next step should be :laugh:

So the vic station is closing now in Nov and there are no plans to secure or open a new station. The same is pending for the other stations.

And there has not been any action by ANKC or other animal groups asking about this?

This does not look good at all.

The greens and part of labor have been calling for the banning of all live exports for along time. There have been a number of people here on DOL calling for the banning of export dogs. It would only make sense if it is unethical to export it will also be unethicial to import. No imports or exports of animals then you do not need stations. I sure hope I am wrong and my mind is just running away with me.

But surely in Vic if they knew they were not renewing the lease they would have been getting the next facility ready to move into?

Edited by shortstep

Where do the racehorses go though? They are still in the same facility as the dog and cats? If they are no way would they ban importing animals, horse racing has massive money behind it......

The horses are not in the same facility as the dogs and cats - the horses are at Werribee

Why is this? Are these centres not making a profit? What happens if they all close? How do you bring in animals or you can't at all? :laugh:

They'd probably privatise it. Gee you'd think they'd be making a profit, though. Surely. What are the daily rates for cats and dogs? What about horses?

Why is this? Are these centres not making a profit? What happens if they all close? How do you bring in animals or you can't at all? :(

They'd probably privatise it. Gee you'd think they'd be making a profit, though. Surely. What are the daily rates for cats and dogs? What about horses?

Its not about making a profit - the land that Spotswood is on is privatly owned by a developer and has been leased by the quarantine station for quite a few years. The lease is up and now the developer wants his land.

Its not about making a profit - the land that Spotswood is on is privatly owned by a developer and has been leased by the quarantine station for quite a few years. The lease is up and now the developer wants his land.

ahh right that makes sense. Ta.

• 3 years later...

be coming back to Perth and would want to bring my dog back with me.

I have just found out ath he cannot fly into Perth but must go to either Sydney or Melbourne for 10 daya and then I must make arrangements for his transport to Perth.

It will cost more to ply him to the Eastern seaboard, and then more again to fly him from there to Perth.

There really should be a station in WA.

When I left last year I knew that plans were afoot to shut down somne of the Q stations, but this is stupid.

There have been previous posts on DoL about this, it is not new news. There will be one quarantine station, in Melb. If there are delays in getting that started it is a concern, but I dont think it is about importation of dogs or cats being banned overall as people seem to fear-the majority that come in are people's pets, not show or breeding animals. We are a small part of the picture.

Costs will go up though, I think that happens soon, and it is tough on people in the west for sure.

There have been previous posts on DoL about this, it is not new news. There will be one quarantine station, in Melb. If there are delays in getting that started it is a concern, but I dont think it is about importation of dogs or cats being banned overall as people seem to fear-the majority that come in are people's pets, not show or breeding animals. We are a small part of the picture.

Costs will go up though, I think that happens soon, and it is tough on people in the west for sure.

I'm aware of some kennels on 5 acre properties up for sale 15 min drive from Perth . . . also some land in kennel zones . . . ~15 min from Murdoch Vet School. Is there any hope of getting the resources together to make one of these work? With the fees they are charging for quarantine, I would think there's an inviting economic proposition for someone. It's absurd that WA people have to import through Melbourne.

I have a dog being imported and is booked to arrive next month... DAFF have only released new fees mid-May...

"The department is reviewing five biosecurity cost recovered arrangements that will result in some fee adjustments commencing 1 July 2014. The review is necessary to return the department’s cost recovery arrangement to a sustainable footing and to ensure continued compliance with the government's cost recovery policy and guidelines.

Four of the five reviews have been completed. The department is now implementing the new rates of charge for these biosecurity services."

From what I can gather fees have increased for dog/cats etc., but looks like the horse industry might have "blocked" an increase in their fees???

- daily fee for dogs have gone from $39/day to $149/day!!! :eek:

absolutely disgusting, and no doubt the racing industry had a very big push on the horse thing considering the number of racehorses going to and fro for our major races, as well as stallions that come and go to serve mares overseas and then coming here to do stud services over our spring. Effectively means quarantine costs have risen from $800 for 30 days to $1600 for 10 days - but you get no access to them, and I am betting they are certainly not giving the animals any more attention than they did before - I know my cat came in last year and not only was losing weight (until I was able to get him my special food, which saw him gain nearly 1 kilo in his 30 days, but also developed a rodent ulcer, again something they did not notice - I was luckily able to treat to myself while he was there) so they certainly were not doing much of a monitoring for my $29 a day then - for $149 a day, I would want them giving one on one attention all day, but betting that isn't going to happen