Lost About Dog Food Brands

eh94

So there are holistic brands, supermarket brands and BARF. I just want dog food which Hana would CHEW (if the kibble is too small, she swallows them whole!), minimize the shedding, shinny coat, no dry skin issues, and poo that doesn't have smells that brings back the dead! I have read how good is Royal Canine only to find another website saying it is terrible. Same experience with Nutro as well. I am also aware that it also depends on how Hana reacts to the ingredients (BTWS, Hana is a Chuallie - border collie cross chihuahua) My profile picture is her when she was around one years old. Right - back to my question...am I demanding way too much from the dog food producers? Artemis or Canidae or Holistic Select? Or something made in Australia? Thanks in advance ;)

(BTWS, Hana is a Chuallie - border collie cross chihuahua)

Wow I must say thats the first i've heard about that mix lol. Very cute though ;)

I just bought a huge bag of nutro- the pieces are quite large. To early to know how well they will go on it yet... I think Hana will definetly have to chew. As far as I know and have read Nutro is quite a good food.

Holistic Select and Nutro kibble pieces are nice and big. Artemis not so. Benefit of Nutro is that it is cheaper, readily available and made in Aus. I get the weight maintenance, good coat and firm stools with Nutro. I always start with small bags.

So there are holistic brands, supermarket brands and BARF. I just want dog food which Hana would CHEW (if the kibble is too small, she swallows them whole!), minimize the shedding, shinny coat, no dry skin issues, and poo that doesn't have smells that brings back the dead! I have read how good is Royal Canine only to find another website saying it is terrible. Same experience with Nutro as well. I am also aware that it also depends on how Hana reacts to the ingredients (BTWS, Hana is a Chuallie - border collie cross chihuahua) My profile picture is her when she was around one years old. Right - back to my question...am I demanding way too much from the dog food producers? Artemis or Canidae or Holistic Select? Or something made in Australia? Thanks in advance :p

Sorry, please tell me to "get off" if you think there might be something "wrong" with me...but I find that this cross a little hard to take. I have a Border Collie & I cant for the life of me imagine her being joined to a Chihauhua & I certainly can't imagine a male BC mating with a tiny little Ch. :eek: I certainly don't find the idea "cute"

Edited by sheena

So there are holistic brands, supermarket brands and BARF. I just want dog food which Hana would CHEW (if the kibble is too small, she swallows them whole!), minimize the shedding, shinny coat, no dry skin issues, and poo that doesn't have smells that brings back the dead! I have read how good is Royal Canine only to find another website saying it is terrible. Same experience with Nutro as well. I am also aware that it also depends on how Hana reacts to the ingredients (BTWS, Hana is a Chuallie - border collie cross chihuahua) My profile picture is her when she was around one years old. Right - back to my question...am I demanding way too much from the dog food producers? Artemis or Canidae or Holistic Select? Or something made in Australia? Thanks in advance :)

Sorry, please tell me to "get off" if you think there might be something "wrong" with me...but I find that this cross a little hard to take. I have a Border Collie & I cant for the life of me imagine her being joined to a Chihauhua & I certainly can't imagine a male BC mating with a tiny little Ch. :p I certainly don't find the idea "cute"

I meant the dog was cute (which it IS)

Not the idea or thought of a chi and boder collie together! :eek:

I am sure it could happen though. More likely a wider mix then just boder collie and chi though.

Only thing I can suggest is you try different brands until you find one that is easy on your pocket and that suits your dog. Some companies will send out samples to try.

I feed Nutro, Uncle Albers & Great Barko for the most part.

.gif

I am currently feeding BARF to both my dogs, one adult and one puppy, and both of them have really soft and smelly poos on it. It really sucks, because it's the only food I can find around here that I am happy feeding them. The options for dry food are RC, Hills and Advance, and I checked the ingredients in them and don't like them at all.

There is a lot being talked about on this Health thread at present, with Black Hawk Holisitic. I havn't tried it myself but am waiting on a sample. I feed my girl Vets All Natural + raw & raw meaty bones + some supplements. When I have finished this bag of VAN, I am tempted to either try Phuds or the Black Hawk mixed with raw meat.

I must remember to keep her well & truly away from all chihouras (spelling?). :eek:

There is a lot being talked about on this Health thread at present, with Black Hawk Holisitic. I havn't tried it myself but am waiting on a sample. I feed my girl Vets All Natural + raw & raw meaty bones + some supplements. When I have finished this bag of VAN, I am tempted to either try Phuds or the Black Hawk mixed with raw meat.

I must remember to keep her well & truly away from all chihouras (spelling?). :laugh:

I just got my samples of Black Hawk both dogs and cats. I know I have labs they eat anything but they went nuts for it. too my surprise my cats did too. I am very hopeful for this food as I will save a fortune on what I currently spend.

Edited by mokhahouse

Thanks everyone heheeheh....yes, Hana is a very cute dog but she can drive me nuts some times. We bought her from a pet shop which we visit almost every day..yes...even weekends when we were renting in the city. We had to pass by the shop everyday and we did our grocery shopping in the market next to the pet shop. After "checking out" the shop for a few years and not "falling in love" with the several litters, we came across Hana and her 2 other brothers. We, too, were gawdsmack by the combination but Hana was...well....we really couldn't leave the shop without her..and the rest is history. The pet shop gave us the breeder's name just in case we wanted to find out more about this very interesting breed. Hana was from a second litter. But we didn't have to call the breeder as she was really good...extremely easy to toilet train. BUT! As she grewww...she started to have this bad habit - refusal to chew on dry foods. She would chew on bones, treats and greenies but just not her dry food. Hence the search for dry food that she would chew. It has FOUR years...still the search continues :-(

I am currently feeding BARF to both my dogs, one adult and one puppy, and both of them have really soft and smelly poos on it. It really sucks, because it's the only food I can find around here that I am happy feeding them. The options for dry food are RC, Hills and Advance, and I checked the ingredients in them and don't like them at all.

By rights, the poos shouldn't be soft and smelly. Are you giving them bones such as chicken back, necks and wings that they can actually eat. This firms up the poos. I feed my two home prepared raw diet and I am pleased to say that their 'offerings' have no smell and they are so easily picked up.

Thanks everyone heheeheh....yes, Hana is a very cute dog but she can drive me nuts some times. We bought her from a pet shop which we visit almost every day..yes...even weekends when we were renting in the city. We had to pass by the shop everyday and we did our grocery shopping in the market next to the pet shop. After "checking out" the shop for a few years and not "falling in love" with the several litters, we came across Hana and her 2 other brothers. We, too, were gawdsmack by the combination but Hana was...well....we really couldn't leave the shop without her..and the rest is history. The pet shop gave us the breeder's name just in case we wanted to find out more about this very interesting breed. Hana was from a second litter. But we didn't have to call the breeder as she was really good...extremely easy to toilet train. BUT! As she grewww...she started to have this bad habit - refusal to chew on dry foods. She would chew on bones, treats and greenies but just not her dry food. Hence the search for dry food that she would chew. It has FOUR years...still the search continues :-(

This is not a personal attack on you...you obviously don't mind buying animals from pet shops, & you love your dog, but I can't believe that there is a puppy farmer out there who is breeding chihuahuas with border collies :kissbetter: I don't find that breed "interesting" in the least...I find it cruel, sick & grotesque that someone could deliberately breed such a combination. An " over the fence, once in a lifetime", encounter, by an exhuberant BC male or an "under the fence" event by a male chihauhua, could happen...but for someone to be out there breeding this to make money selling to a pet shop....well what more can I say :thumbsup:

well Sheena, I have good news for you...the breeder has stopped. And don't worry..I didn't take offense to any of your comments. Afterall, everyone is entitled to their opinion, regardless nice or otherwise. I must say, before I got Hana, I use to think like Border Collies. But after having her, now I LOVE Border Collies...you should see how Hana tries to 'round us (me and hubby) up whenever we take her to the park...gorgeous! Oh..one more good news - I have adopted the notion of not buying pets from pet shop. Neiko, my Scottish Fold cat was bought from a breeder :kissbetter: