Flea Treatment / Wormers

cj-b

I have been using Comfortis for flea treatment for 4 months now, I'm happy with the job it does but the problem is my boy seems to have a sensitive stomach and I have had to use 2 tablets twice now to keep 1 tablet down, as he vomits it all back up. It does say it is a common side effect and to give only on a full stomach, but this doesn't help with him, he will just vomit it ALL back up.

I also have been using Sentinel Spectrum for 6 months, I'm due to repurchase a 6 month supply. I was going to cut back and use the Interceptor as I'm also using the comfortis.

My concern now is, that it's working out to be very expensive to use the comfortis for the reason I mentioned.

So I was wondering, what other combination I could use for Worming, Flea and preferably tick control.

I was thinking I could get him the annual heartworm injection, use a 3 monthly intestional wormer and either Frontline Plus or Advantix.

Does anyone have any other recommendations?

My mums house is situated in a bad flea area, so I need to make sure the flea treatment, really works.

As you can see, I'm not sure which way to go, I would love any advice on products and combinations.

Thank you :(

What about interceptor and Frontline/Advantix?

Comfortis is a good product but yes no use if your dog cannot handle it, Sentinel is good too but not as good for fleas. I'm not to fond of the annual heartworm unless you are likely to forget to use the monthly preventatives.

Edited by karly101

I like that idea.

Do the Frontline Plus and the Advantix have the same active ingredient??? Do you know if they are made from the same company, as in same product same action different manufacturer?

Do either of these products have better flea protection that the other?? Sorry for all the questions...

Worming : I think we tend to over worm our dogs, administering drugs every 3 months when they might not even have any worms for those drugs to be deemed necessary. Dogs' systems are designed to deal with a small-mild worm burden. Instead of worming on a regular basis, what about dropping a stool sample into your Vet periodically and ask him/her to do a worm burden count on it and worm your dog using drugs less frequently?

I worm myself and the kids, so I'm happy to use a monthly or 3 monthly program for my dog as well.

I think I will use the Interceptor along with the Advantix, and see how that works.

Naturally it is your choice, but I thought that considering your dog has the issues of a sensitive stomach, it might be helpful to reduce the administration of chemicals that may not be necessary as much as possible.

I worm myself and the kids, so I'm happy to use a monthly or 3 monthly program for my dog as well.

I think I will use the Interceptor along with the Advantix, and see how that works.

Naturally it is your choice, but I thought that considering your dog has the issues of a sensitive stomach, it might be helpful to reduce the administration of chemicals that may not be necessary as much as possible.

I see your point, I think I will discuss this with the vet next time we are due to go. Thanks for the idea.

Frontline and Advantix are from different companies and also have different active ingredients...I am not so familiar with Advantix as we don't stock it at my work... we have had a few complaints about the Frontline not working but its hard to comment on how valid they are as usually the product is not being used correctly (ie. applying it to dogs but not treating the cat).

You can also get away with only giving the Interceptor once every 6 weeks as if you read the product insert it does provide protection against heartworm longer than 30 days.

Frontline and Advantix are from different companies and also have different active ingredients...I am not so familiar with Advantix as we don't stock it at my work... we have had a few complaints about the Frontline not working but its hard to comment on how valid they are as usually the product is not being used correctly (ie. applying it to dogs but not treating the cat).

You can also get away with only giving the Interceptor once every 6 weeks as if you read the product insert it does provide protection against heartworm longer than 30 days.

Karly, is your personal opinion or from what you have learnt from customer feedback, which product do you think is best. My mum only has one dog, and none of the topical drops kept the fleas off her Maltese. She now has her on Comfortis and her little girl barely has a problem with them now. Which is another reason why I'm hesitant to change, but I'm willing to try.

Worming : I think we tend to over worm our dogs, administering drugs every 3 months when they might not even have any worms for those drugs to be deemed necessary. Dogs' systems are designed to deal with a small-mild worm burden. Instead of worming on a regular basis, what about dropping a stool sample into your Vet periodically and ask him/her to do a worm burden count on it and worm your dog using drugs less frequently?

I agree - why treat for a problem which does not exits..Learn how to test your own dogs and only treat them accordingly when a problem exists. There are many PROVEN natural de-worming agents without poisoning your dogs. There are studies which indicate that intestinal parasites and the hosts may already becoming immune to anthalmics..no different in many ways to the overuse of antibiotics...

Karly, is your personal opinion or from what you have learnt from customer feedback, which product do you think is best. My mum only has one dog, and none of the topical drops kept the fleas off her Maltese. She now has her on Comfortis and her little girl barely has a problem with them now. Which is another reason why I'm hesitant to change, but I'm willing to try.

It really depends on your area.. I think perhaps if the Frontline is actually not working its probably because it has been overused in the area that I work, we haven't had any complaints with Advantage (which would be comparable to Advantix). I would probably give the Advantix a go as costwise I think it works out better than the Frontline anyway. For where I live, Sentinel is more than adequate to keep fleas at bay.

If I had kids I would probably stick to a regular worming schedule... just because they do tend to be playing in the backyard with the dog and a little less mindful than adults about washing hands etc I would rather know that worms are not going to be an issue.

We used to use Frontline regularly - until it turned the white collars yellow :laugh: (not a good look on a show dog - Judges tend to excuse the "blue" but not the bright yellow...). The rep told us how to fix it, but when we do need to use it now we don't use it on the whites...we prefer to treat the environment and monitor the dogs...easier and actually cheaper too (in the long run).

I see your point, I think I will discuss this with the vet next time we are due to go. Thanks for the idea.

Thanks for acknowledging that, cj-b. I do mean well by raising these things as I do believe the drugs we apply/administer to our dogs year in year out can't help but weaken their systems and that over the generations matters such as sensitive stomachs; irritable bowel disease; allergies will (is) become worse and worse and more and more plentiful (not as though it isn't plentiful already). I'd recommend speaking with 3 or a dozen Vets though - as don't forget who makes money out of the wormers; heartwormers; vaccinations; flea treatments (all of which are administered on a regular on-going basis so it's not hard to figure out that these things are worth a fortune to them).

ETA: As kids I think I remember Mum worming us once :) . Don't know why - whether it was necessary or whether she read stuff that made her think she should. I throw up trying to swallow foul tasting medication anyway (back in those days, all kids had medicine not tablets and all the medicines tasted revolting) so there was no repeating the medication, lol.

Edited by Erny

Thanks for acknowledging that, cj-b. I do mean well by raising these things as I do believe the drugs we apply/administer to our dogs year in year out can't help but weaken their systems and that over the generations matters such as sensitive stomachs; irritable bowel disease; allergies will (is) become worse and worse and more and more plentiful (not as though it isn't plentiful already). I'd recommend speaking with 3 or a dozen Vets though - as don't forget who makes money out of the wormers; heartwormers; vaccinations; flea treatments (all of which are administered on a regular on-going basis so it's not hard to figure out that these things are worth a fortune to them).

It does make sense. I remember reading how vaccinations can cause allergies as well. My dog has always had an issue with itchy skin, better these days, but still does itch a little from time to time. The lady I bought his BARF off commented on maybe avoiding yearly vaccinations. I'm not sure I know enough about it yet to go that far, but it is definitely something to read further into. Thank you for your information, I do take it all on board, and I can definitely see where you are coming from. But before I do more of my own research, I will stick to worming/flea treatment and vacc etc. until I can make my own educated decision about it all.

Thank you again to everyone for your help

ETA: As kids I think I remember Mum worming us once :) . Don't know why - whether it was necessary or whether she read stuff that made her think she should. I throw up trying to swallow foul tasting medication anyway (back in those days, all kids had medicine not tablets and all the medicines tasted revolting) so there was no repeating the medication, lol.

Haha not like that these days, it now comes in the form of very yummy chocolate squares. My kids love worming time, lol