March Flies

Elfin

I have recently moved and have never encountered a March Fly problem like the one I am having at the moment.

They are driving my dogs mad. One of my dogs will not even leave the kennels during the day for fear of them and has become really jumpy.

I am spraying all the dogs lightly with Rid twice a day, and have also put a Mortein Outdoor Automatic spray (sprays every 40 seconds) near the kennels. They obviously hate being sprayed with the Rid, and the Mortein not only has a really offensive odour that catches in the back of your throat, but unless the air is completely still, it just blows away in the breeze.

Unfortunately I cannot have the dogs inside with me, as it is not my house (I am staying with a friend while looking for a rental).

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thank you for the suggestions!

The dogs do not seem to be getting bitten by them because of the Rid, but I might try Repel-X instead.

It is more just the buzzing around that has driven them mad. I have used surface spray on everything, too.

It really upsets me seeing them so upset.

There were two kinds of fly traps when I went into Bunnings on Saturday as I have fly problems here as well. I've used them before and they are pretty good, just gruesome when you have to empty them - that's what hubbies are for my friends tell me, maybe I can borrow one?? LOL.

I was told Permoxin was good, Vaseline on the ears can help as well I think I read somewhere.

Everything is worth a try when your dogs are suffering!

Edited by dogmad

We have them too but they will go as quick as they came, just seems to be the time of the year cos we get them this time every year!

They arrive for about 1/2 an hour early each morning and then reappear at dusk.

I've never heard of the November flies, so we just call them the bitey flies here.

I have recently moved and have never encountered a March Fly problem like the one I am having at the moment.

They are driving my dogs mad. One of my dogs will not even leave the kennels during the day for fear of them and has become really jumpy.

I am spraying all the dogs lightly with Rid twice a day, and have also put a Mortein Outdoor Automatic spray (sprays every 40 seconds) near the kennels. They obviously hate being sprayed with the Rid, and the Mortein not only has a really offensive odour that catches in the back of your throat, but unless the air is completely still, it just blows away in the breeze.

Unfortunately I cannot have the dogs inside with me, as it is not my house (I am staying with a friend while looking for a rental).

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Would putting flyscreen mesh around kennel be an option? (not sure about cost, but the chemicals would not be cheap, either)

I think the reason they get scared of March flies is because they actually hurt when they bite. So even if you have repellent on your dogs the Marchies will still buzz around and distress them. March flies are attracted to blue and dark colours and hate reds, orange etc. I've found they go for my little blue whippet Kibah more than the fawn and brindles. What colours are your dogs. You could try putting a light cotton (so they dont get hot) red shirt on them or even a wide red collar might help.

We usually have them bad here in Summer but strangely, last Summer I didn't see one although it was the worst season I remember for wasps. We also didn't get any bot flies, I dont know but I wonder if it is somehow related to the bush fires from the Summer before.

Edited by Kirislin

A lot of our clients who have had problems with dogs getting fly bitten ears have reported good results from using Advantix. Might be something to try?

My dogs are on Advantix. They've never been bothered by flies even though we have a fare number of flies around this time.

March flies are not ordinary 'flies' March flies are BIG..and sound like a motorbike :dancingelephant:

They also bite enough to hurt... and don't usually go for ears- they like the muscly bits !

Because they are fresh blood feeders,like mozzies- fly traps don't work ..they aren't interested in decaying food ..they want to suck your blood!

March flies absolutely do go for the muscle, although some dogs ears can have a good blood supply too. I have screamed like a banshee when a March fly was hanging off my calf, they seriously HURT! Dogs would be yelping too if March flies were biting them. It is a very painful bite.

March flies are not ordinary 'flies' March flies are BIG..and sound like a motorbike :p

They also bite enough to hurt... and don't usually go for ears- they like the muscly bits !

Because they are fresh blood feeders,like mozzies- fly traps don't work ..they aren't interested in decaying food ..they want to suck your blood!

Was that you who took a bite for the cause? Ouch! I would've flattened the bugger good for that! :)

Edited by Kirislin

I think the reason they get scared of March flies is because they actually hurt when they bite. So even if you have repellent on your dogs the Marchies will still buzz around and distress them. March flies are attracted to blue and dark colours and hate reds, orange etc. I've found they go for my little blue whippet Kibah more than the fawn and brindles. What colours are your dogs. You could try putting a light cotton (so they dont get hot) red shirt on them or even a wide red collar might help.

We usually have them bad here in Summer but strangely, last Summer I didn't see one although it was the worst season I remember for wasps. We also didn't get any bot flies, I dont know but I wonder if it is somehow related to the bush fires from the Summer before.

My dogs are all Deerhounds, so it sounds like the colour may be attracting them. Since you pointed this out, I noticed that the Borzoi we walk with in the mornings are completely left alone by the March Flies, but they buggers followed my dogs for several kilometres.

They are already struggling a bit in the heat, so I won't be able to but shirts on them (although it is an excellent idea!).

They are not biting their ears, but even the noise is enough to send my old girl into a blind panic. :rofl:

March flies absolutely do go for the muscle, although some dogs ears can have a good blood supply too. I have screamed like a banshee when a March fly was hanging off my calf, they seriously HURT! Dogs would be yelping too if March flies were biting them. It is a very painful bite.

Souff that is exactly what the flies here are like right now. :rofl:

And the young ones do yelp when they are bitten. :laugh::laugh:

My dogs are all Deerhounds, so it sounds like the colour may be attracting them. Since you pointed this out, I noticed that the Borzoi we walk with in the mornings are completely left alone by the March Flies, but they buggers followed my dogs for several kilometres.

They are already struggling a bit in the heat, so I won't be able to but shirts on them (although it is an excellent idea!).

They are not biting their ears, but even the noise is enough to send my old girl into a blind panic. :rofl:

What about a light say, cheesclothy type scarfy snood in RED? something loose and stretchy, just try it around their necks. you might be surprised, it might deter the Marchies.

Edited by Kirislin