Labradoodles In The Paper

R00

The regret is a little too late, alas.

I am not meaning to be provocative, but as I pondered this topic, I can't help thinking that out of all of the DDs, the labradoodle probably has the greatest chance of one day being recognised as a 'breed' by the public even if it never becomes an official ANKC breed. I see them everywhere and not just in the homes of fad pet owners - an instructor at my obedience club has one, I see them trialling, I see them doing obedience and agility with committed owners.

For me they are more recognisable in appearance than many of the other DDs - it's usually quite easy to spot a labradoodle although I always ask 'poodle' first just to be polite. They also grow up to be more consistent in appearance than many of the other DDs - many jugs and beagaliers look like strange Greek mythical beasts when they grow up but I've seen a lot of adult labradoodles that look quite similar. Personally, I love the face of a labradoodle - it's pretty cute. I'm not endorsing them, advocating that people buy them, I have my own breed preferences and thoughts about dogs, but from an outsider's point of view, I think the labradoodlers are probably closest to ever 'making it'. As with breeders of all 'breeds' of dogs, the challenge is going to be finding the breeders with integrity among the many somewhat unsavoury breeders.

It would be kind of interesting if this 'breed' actually ended up being the next 'new' mainstream-ish breed. I know the Tenterfield Terrier was recognised in 2002 but it's not hugely popular/mainstream yet. I was reading this about the Doberman before:

The breed is believed to have been created from several different breeds of dogs that had the characteristics that Dobermann was looking for, including the German Pinscher, the Beauceron, the Rottweiler, the Thuringian Sylvan Dog, the Greyhound, the Great Dane, the Weimaraner, the German Shorthaired Pointer, the Manchester Terrier and the Old German Shepherd Dog. The exact ratios of mixing, and even the exact breeds that were used, remain uncertain to this day, although many experts believe that the Doberman Pinscher is a combination of at least four of these breeds. The single exception is the documented crossing with the Greyhound and Manchester Terrier. It is also widely believed that the old German Shepherd gene pool was the single largest contributor to the Doberman breed.

Alas, I was too young to be around when the Doberman came into existence in 1890 :) Same goes for the Kelpie which has Collie blood, Other Dog Blood and perhaps even Dingo blood in its origins. I do find it interesting to see the different 'combos' that resulted in the dogs we know and love today.

Edited by koalathebear

http://www.smh.com.au/world/science/regret...1124-187ho.html

Worth a 5 min read if you want to kill some time

Very interesting and insightful. I wish everyone would read it too.

Although, poodles are used as guide dogs in Europe.

Conron says that despite the fact the dogs have helped so many blind people, he regrets creating the first cross-breed. ''I released a Frankenstein. … People say 'aren't you proud of yourself?' and I say, 'not in the slightest. I've done so much harm to pure breeding.'''

Aint that the truth :mad - a great pity that a hell of a lot of thought didn't take place before the creation of this mutt and the shameless marketing gimmick to get them into the Press :mad Hang your head in shame Wally that you have singlehandedly caused the massive exploitation of two wonderful and very popular breeds in appalling conditions by puppyfarmers and byb's :mad . You worked daily with my beloved breed who have done so much for the Blind community and as service dogs in general and I don't know how you sleep at night with the irrepairable harm you have done to not only my beloved breed but the lovely Poodle and all the other poor breeds have been swept up in the designer craze :mad

A good read that all should read, and I guess the old adage be careful what you wish for certainly rings some bells here.

Though I don't think he should hang his head in shame, its a pity that so many unscrupulous people have taken advantage of what essentially was someone trying to help others.

Pet shops are the worst for promoting DD and charging enormous amounts for these mongrels, and puppy farms should be banned end of story.

We have so many lovely breeds to choose from I just cannot understand why we have to keep trying to reinvent the wheel, happens in the horse world as well, they are just not clever enough yet to make up catchy names for them.

Yes I know that most of our 'purebreds' are blended varieties, heck I only found out by chance on here that my Aussie has Pyrenean mountain dog in it??? (someone correct me if I am wrong), but how many more invented breeds do we need?

Conron says that despite the fact the dogs have helped so many blind people, he regrets creating the first cross-breed. ''I released a Frankenstein. … People say 'aren't you proud of yourself?' and I say, 'not in the slightest. I've done so much harm to pure breeding.'''

Aint that the truth :mad - a great pity that a hell of a lot of thought didn't take place before the creation of this mutt and the shameless marketing gimmick to get them into the Press :mad Hang your head in shame Wally that you have singlehandedly caused the massive exploitation of two wonderful and very popular breeds in appalling conditions by puppyfarmers and byb's :mad . You worked daily with my beloved breed who have done so much for the Blind community and as service dogs in general and I don't know how you sleep at night with the irrepairable harm you have done to not only my beloved breed but the lovely Poodle and all the other poor breeds have been swept up in the designer craze :mad

What a load of rubbish - before you take aim at anybody, try considering the reasons why Wally did the cross, his motivation and reward and what has happened since. What in the hell has Wally got to do with the conditions in puppy farms? "Singlehandedly caused massive exploitation" ???? :mad A great proportion of what your (and my) beloved breed has done for the blind community in Australia is thanks to Wally Conron. If you want to hurl insults at somebody, try the Gardener - your phrases "shameless marketing gimmick" and "designer craze" sit much more appropriately there.