helen

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks. :) I love them very much. :laugh:

Very interesting reading about the "Thundershirt".

I imagine this type of thing was first used by horse people as about 20 years ago I saw a horse being loaded into a float using a special type of rung used to help calm the horse.

At every City race meeting you will see a few horses being led up to the barrier with their special "thundershirts" on.

I suppose it comfortsin that the body is not so exposed.

Erik's been noisy this afternoon and difficult to settle. I put his TS on about ten minutes ago and he's now napping on his bed beside me. Finally. Funniest thing, I have noticed that often if it's going to do the job, it tends to prompt nesting behaviour for want of a better description. He finds something soft, kicks it around until he's got himself a little imaginary hollow, then lies down to sleep in it. I hardly ever see that nesting behaviour any other time, but it seems common with the TS. I would love to know what it's doing to his brain chemistry.

What an interesting thread! I find the discussion particularly interesting as it is sort of a familiar principle to weighted vests for people with Autism. I think I'll be getting one for my B.C Jed. I wonder if you can get them for cats?

What an interesting thread! I find the discussion particularly interesting as it is sort of a familiar principle to weighted vests for people with Autism. I think I'll be getting one for my B.C Jed. I wonder if you can get them for cats?

yep that's right Shyfig its exaclty the same principle :o

Do you find that sort of thing works wioth your boys? my boy with ASD found it incredibly calming for going to the supermarket and places like that.

You might be interested in reading Temple Grandin's book "Animals in translation" in which she talks about the similarities in the way animals and people with autism experience the world :)

Another quite interested in this thread!

Checking out the website now.

Charlie hates thunder, I can calm him when I'm home but I worry when I'm at work.

Someone post if they have used it on cats.

I have 2 cats but 1 just doesn't like the other and I have to keep them separated in the house - not an easy task.

If Gypsie didn't run I know Forrest wouldn't chase her

Ok then, here's some dog & cat footage. Spirit (White GSD) has a VERY STRONG prey drive. Pre the Thunder Shirt, this is what Spirit was like from the minute she got up & until she went to bed. Just exhausting to watch ...

Here's what Spirit was like if she & Scout were in the same vicinity. Imagine this going on all day inside the house. It's a pretty long video, but the last minute of it is pretty much what happened all day long inside the house. The constant chasing drove me mad, so I had to keep them seperated ......

I'd heard you could use a t-shirt with pretty much the same effect, so while I was waiting for Mish's Thunder Shirt to arrive, I thought I'd give the concept a go on Spirt ......

The "effect" of the shirt seems to last for a little while after you take it off. Here's what happened after I took Spirit's Thunder Shirt off after that big storm the other day. I really thought Spirit would "rush" the little guy as soon as I opened that back door ....

yep that's right Shyfig its exaclty the same principle :grouphug:

Do you find that sort of thing works wioth your boys? my boy with ASD found it incredibly calming for going to the supermarket and places like that.

You might be interested in reading Temple Grandin's book "Animals in translation" in which she talks about the similarities in the way animals and people with autism experience the world :D

Raineth I haven't ever tried a weighted vest with my boys but still may be on the cards for middle child. (3 boys with ASD).

I'm really familiar with Temple Grandin's writings (much everything about Autism) and it's so fascinating. Temple has contributed so much to people's understanding of Autism from an autistic's own perspective.

Sorry everyone haven't mean't to turn this into a thread about autism.....Raineth happy for you to pm me anytime to talk Autism.

Ok then, here's some dog & cat footage. Spirit (White GSD) has a VERY STRONG prey drive. Pre the Thunder Shirt, this is what Spirit was like from the minute she got up & until she went to bed. Just exhausting to watch ...

Here's what Spirit was like if she & Scout were in the same vicinity. Imagine this going on all day inside the house. It's a pretty long video, but the last minute of it is pretty much what happened all day long inside the house. The constant chasing drove me mad, so I had to keep them seperated ......

I'd heard you could use a t-shirt with pretty much the same effect, so while I was waiting for Mish's Thunder Shirt to arrive, I thought I'd give the concept a go on Spirt ......

The "effect" of the shirt seems to last for a little while after you take it off. Here's what happened after I took Spirit's Thunder Shirt off after that big storm the other day. I really thought Spirit would "rush" the little guy as soon as I opened that back door ....

I just watched all your videos and the difference is amazing. I'm starting to think one of these could help my dog. She's a highly strung little miss as it is, but she's in recovery from surgery and needs to rest. The vet has prescribed a mild sedative, to help keep her calm and still. Possibly, this jacket could help her without the need for drugs.