Help With Next Step In A Trick

Bubitty

Hi Folks

I am stuck with no ideas on how to move ahead.

I would like for Bitty to be able to place her paw on a sponge and them move her paw around with the sponge still under it to create an effect as if she is cleaning the floor with a sponge.

So far she will target the sponge with her paw and can keep her paw on the sponge for as long as I need her to.

I am lost as to what to do next. I need her to move the sponge around with paw on it.

What is the next step?

Many Thanks!

Have never trained this. But my first thought is to teach the trick in two components.

First component is target paw to sponge, you've taught that. Second component is just scraping her paw over the ground. Then put the two commands together - ask her to target paw to sponge, then scrape paw along ground.

That should get you something remotely resembling the trick, so that you can shape from there?

Erik does both paw target and dragging his paw across an object indicated. I trained them separately. If I were trying to train this, I would shape him to push the object forwards with his paw, seeing as that is a different and more unnatural movement. I would use a plush ball or something similar that is easy to roll but won't get away.

On thursday Tilly-Rose stole a sponge from my friend's place :birthday:

I didn't realise that she had it until we got home :birthday:

does that count for doing a clever trick :cheers:

Your dogs are awesome Bub! All I could imagine my goldens doing that trick would be ripping the sponge apart :champagne:

• 5 weeks later...

How about... Sending her from a distance to the sponge. Will she go fast enough that the sponge moves as she targets it? You could then slowly reduce the distance, so the same enthusiasm occurs for a close proximity scrub.

ohh thats a great idea Leema!!!! I will try that!

She is reliably pushing the spong backwards now and it does look like wiping the floor but if you are savvy you will notice that she is only moving the sponge in one direction (back) instead of real wiping!

I will try the distance thing as that may push it (the sponge) forwards when she comes at it!