Use Of Ensal

schwarzbear

Hi Breeders,

My girl had 12 pups on the 15th November with 11 surviving. She has developed soft poos. Rang the vet to ask if I could use Ensal that I have. While waiting to talk to the vet the vet nurse said ok if no sulphur. Vet came back saying yes okay to use. When I look at the label it mentions sulphur. My usual vet is not on.

Have had a very bad experience in the past with using medicines on a lactating bitch (lost 5 pups due to it) so am asking for advice. Have her on chicken and rice at the moment.

Thanks

More important is WHY has she developed soft poo :)

How soft is soft ?

has her diet changed? What is her normal post whelping diet??

Is she otherwise healthy/happy?

There are other things you can use ...depending on what he cause is. It is often better/easier to remove the cause .

Thanks for responding.

She got the runs when she was a fortnight out from whelping and she was put on antibiotics and Ensal. It cleared up. Whelped the pups by c-section. Everything fine for a couple of days then the pups got the runs so had Peptosyl on hand which I have been giving them. Because there are 11 have been rotating and I am using goats milk. Any left from the bottle Mum was getting.

Prior to whelping she was fed twice a day with Supercoat puppy, meat, fresh veggies/fruit blended sometimes cottage cheese, yoghurt, scrambled eggs, brisket etc. After whelping would not eat so I have been keeping the local IGA in business with barbeque chickens which she is fed with Supercoat puppy 4 times a day. Stopped giving her the goats milk today. Have boiled up chicken and rice for her.

How soft is soft ? Just a patty not formed.

has her diet changed? What is her normal post whelping diet?? See above

Is she otherwise healthy/happy? Yes

There are other things you can use ...depending on what he cause is. It is often better/easier to remove the cause .

Really appreciate your help. Because my previous experience in losing puppies because of what the Mother was given am very wary of what vets prescribe hence the Peptosyl on hand. Really appreciate other breeders experience.

Ok- that's me out of the equation.. if she had the runs before whelping...pups had the runs at a few days old.... and now mum's got the runs again... I think a vet should be consulted- faecal sample , etc ... just to see what's going on.

I was going to suggest charcoal tablets and psyllium husks for simple tummy upset... but I think you should get things checked- with 11 babies depending on her/you .

Hope she and the pups do well for you :)

Thanks for your response.

Pups are good today. Gave Mum Ensal last night after much thought. I will see how she goes today my usual vet will be on tomorrow. Will take a sample if no improvement and off to the vet.

Thank you for your recommendation. Remedies will go into my Karen Hedburg bible for future reference.

Pups are fat little things remind me of hedgehogs just feed and then roll off vbg.

schwarzbear, goats milk can make some bitches and or pups loose in their bowel movement. Some dogs tolerate it better than others. You could add some farex to the goats milk for mum to help bind her up.

I have had pups with loose movements due to goats milk.

Since your pups are a little older and approaching 2 weeks you could also add a little farex to help bind them up.

Or alternatively you could use the Leerburg puppy formula here................ Link it does work a treat!

Edited by Stolzseinrotts

Schwarzbear, I used PALASTART for my last litter mum responded well to it and was impressive in her milk production - pups did well on it too later. It is a powdered milk replacer for kid goats & lambs. I somet imes added an egg tot he mixture too. No bowel problems.

schwarzbear, goats milk can make some bitches and or pups loose in their bowel movement. Some dogs tolerate it better than others. You could add some farex to the goats milk for mum to help bind her up.

I have had pups with loose movements due to goats milk.

Since your pups are a little older and approaching 2 weeks you could also add a little farex to help bind them up.

Hi Stolz,

Thanks for that this is the first time for years that I have used goats milk (usually use Biolac) but was given the infor on these show goats. Had good success years ago. Will keep the farex in mind. Have never used it before. It is a learning curve all the time vbg. Thanks for the Leerburg link a good site. Everybody fine today so keeping my fingers crossed. Only complaint is the rain and my dryer is broken lol.