Puppy Returned As Owners Can't Have A Dog Where They Live

wintacove

Ok here is the scenario, i sold a pup 2 weeks ago to what seemed like a lovely couple, i asked them all the right questions, they told me that they lived in a retirement village, i had asked them on many occassions before selling them the pup were they allowed to have a puppy where they lived, they reassured me that they were and there would be no problem. So yes i went through with the sale,, now yesterday they have had to return the puppy to me as the management have said there is a no dogs policy in place. While they had the puppy they had if vacc and microchipped, this was it's 2nd vacc that they did. Should or would you refund the purchase price of the pup as well as the cost for the vacc, microchip etc or just refund the purchase price, penalising them for the stuff around, meaning that you are now leaving them out of pocket for the vacc, microchip etc. Anyones thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Firstly, shouldn't you have already microchipped the pup before selling it? It is law after all, and while I understand why breeders of very tiny toys (chi's, poms, iggies) will hold off with microchipping, and there is a loophole that allows this, a cav (assuming thats what the pup is) is a fairly robust breed and in my opinion should be done before selling. Secondly I have a sales agreement, signed by both parties, that covers change of mind - offering an 90% refund if pup is returned within a month of purchase, providing it does not need medical attention. In this case, and as it has only been 2 weeks, I would probably offer to refund full purchase price only. If they made a fuss I would likely give in just to get the pup back.

Edited by badboyz

In Nrth QLD it isn't complusory to microchip until jan 2011, as stated in the rules with Dog QLD, I usually do have all my pups chipped before they leave but in this instance the people wanted to collect her before i had a chance to get it done, as i don't let my cav's go until they are 10 weeks, but in this instance as they had travelled down from townsville to collect her she was 2 days off 10 weeks, i said to them that microchipping is included in the purchase price, but as i hadn't got it done myself i would deduct that price off the purchase price as they were getting it done themselves. I have the puppy here with me now, she was returned yesterday, i just wanted to get some views on what people do, as i have never had this happen to me ever

Well since you already discounted the pup to cover them microchipping themselves, then I would definately not refund any more than purchase price.

The main reason I set out a few terms in a basic sales agreement, is so that hopefully the new owners will think more about their purchase and commitment before going ahead. Actually putting a signature to a piece of paper requires a certain amount of commitment and seriousness on the part of most (not all) people. It also gives me something to fall back on.

Edited by badboyz

yes well it looks like i have secured another home for this little girl, this time someone that can fully commit themselves, plus they also have another older cavalier, so she will be happy to have a friend to play with. I will be refunding them the purchase price but as far as the vet bills go i think they can go jump, as they are the ones that have stuffed me around. God i hate puppy buyers sometimes

Sometimes things happen beyond people control - There are often retirement homes that allow people to buy in with an existing dog but when the dog passes is not allowed to be replaced. This may be why they were confused.

The vet costs were at their own discrection so doesnt really need to be taken into account. The inconvenience to you for readvertising etc is offset by the fact at least the pup (who is still a very marketable age) now has second vaccination.

It is irksome that puppy buyers aren't always thorough about organising themselves - and I personally believe that if they stuff the breeders around I think it is better that they suffer some loss of financial for the inconvenience. After all, you have probably put off another buyer on their behalf and perhaps they will think twice before repeating the process.

If we look at it from a business point of view you would pay a 10% deposit to hold an item - if you decided to pull out of the sale for your own reasons the business is within their rights to keep the deposit - If the business decides to pull out of the sale or the item is 'not to agreed standard' they must refund the deposit.

With the sale of puppies often pure bred breeders are almost too lenient with the buyers. Some breeders here talk about taking a dog back (at any stage of their life) and refunding the purchase price. Re-homing older dogs can sometimes be a complicated and expensive process if we tried to enforce this system onto breeders then we could never really aim to even try to cover the litter costs. Also many breeders are not in the position to offer this.

I am happy to take a dog I bred back at any age (just recently done with an 18month old boy) however I have kennel facilities so it is not going to cause problems in my own pack or family. However with an older dog I would not give a refund as I will be up for costs of looking after the dog and perhaps some medical - also this gives me the option of being able to place the older dog in a new home of my choosing where I retain 'ownership' (just in case something happens I get the dog back again). Therefore there is no resale value as I am aiming to find lifetime home so the dog doesnt have to risk ending up at a rescue centre.

This why your puppy sales contract should clearly state refund policies .

We take our dogs back irrespective of age if it was to happen but it is clearly stated what our refund policy is regarding the age & time frame.

In this case yes we would refund the purchase price PROVIDING after a vet inspection it past in the same condition as left & yes we have this clearly stated.

Should add we want our pups returned so we always make it easy but we wont be used either

Edited by showdog

This is an interesting topic.

I am wondering if people could or would post a copy of their sales contract. ;)

We are expecting our first litter of pedigree pups in Jan and I have a couple of contracts to pick through where I can develop our own but think (after reading this thread) there may be some really good 'other" points to consider when putting ours together.

If anyone is willing to share their sales contract to be used only as a guide for me, then I would be grateful (PM me if you don't want to place publically) the more I can view for ideas the better my contracts will be for both buyer & us.

Edited for spelling :laugh:

Edited by Rottsup