Breeder Recomendation

Sue & Waldo

A friend is wanting a dog and the kids like the SWF in pets hops. I have talked her out of that idea.

I now need ideas for a small companion dog. The children are 11 and 13. They prefer fluffy dogs but have agreed that cavs are pretty too. Any ideas of breeders or breeds. I'm concerned that they may not want to wait long and will revert to a pet shop.

Just across the water in Tasmania, a highly reputable Tibetan Spaniel breeder has a 12 months old male pet Tibbie (desexed etc) for an excellent home. He's lovely natured, used to children, toilet-trained & obedient. The breeder's children have taught him tricks! Sad circumstances for former pet owner, means his thoroughly decent breeder is seeking him a new home. You'll find contact details here.

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/mature...tan-spaniel.asp

If your friends would like some info on Tibbies & their nature, this page is spot on!

http://www.tibbies.net/history.html

Edited by mita

If they arnt keen on waiting maybe look at a rescue fluffy puppy. Or they need to be looking at a breed that high in numbers and then look for a good breeder. They dont want to go a rare breed as the wait might not suit them.

A cav would be great.

What other than fluff and small do they want in a dog?

ETA Mita's tibby suggestion sounds great!

Edited by sammy_ballerina

If they arnt keen on waiting maybe look at a rescue fluffy puppy. Or they need to be looking at a breed that high in numbers and then look for a good breeder. They dont want to go a rare breed as the wait might not suit them.

A cav would be great.

The kids want a dog to play with and take for walks. The daughter wants to do some obedience but they are all first time dog owners although both parents grew up with dogs.

A cav would be great.

The kids want a dog to play with and take for walks. The daughter wants to do some obedience but they are all first time dog owners although both parents grew up with dogs.

Well I think a cav would be pretty ideal for them. They are one of the ultimate young family breeds in my mind. Maybe speak with some cav people and see if they know of anyone with a litter round your friends area? :rolleyes:

Lhasa's, Shih Tzus, Maltese, Havanese, Toy poodle - great for obedience, longcoat chi (my teenage son adores our chi boy - it's basically his dog now that I can not show/breed him), pomeranian, silky terrier.

Or on the slightly larger size: Japanese/german spitz, shelties - brilliant for obedience/agility, mini poodle

Obviously would need to consider their tolerance for and commitment to: hair/grooming, activity level, noise, etc

Edited by badboyz

I am biased and love Cavaliers :laugh: They are sporty dogs at heart and love a good walk, run, romp... they keep going and going! They also love a good snooze too so on days where you arn't active they will gladly sleep the entire day away :rolleyes:

They are companian dogs so don't always cope too well with being left on their own... My husband and I work full time and we have two so that when we are out of the house during the day, they are not alone. Most breeders we contacted agreed that this was a good idea if working.

You can do agility or obediance with Cavaliers - they are people pleasers and love the attention (what dog doesn't eh?). They are a lot of work in maintainance though...they need a thorough grooming at least once a week and then a quick brush/comb throughout the week.

Of course researching the breed first and making sure you buy from a registered breeder who conforms to the necessary health checks etc is a must.... but that being said.... GEES, they are a gorgeous breed! How can you not like this face? :laugh:

155180_462599628130_708598130_5780801_4597241_n.jpg

My apologies, S & C, if I'm saying something you already know anyway. But just a reminder that the small companion dogs, like tibbies, need to be in-house dogs (with access to garden, of course). They're not 'dog for the kids' to be left in the backyard.

And I meant to say onya for steering the family away from a petshop purchase. Not easy sometimes, especially when people are immediately keen to get a dog....& they actually see a cute face looking at them in a store.

I would recommend a tibbie too for a small fluffy family dog. My girls are 8 and 5 and our tibbie is devoted to them as they are to him. We did a lot of research on the breed that fits in best with our family and lifestyle and have never regretted getting a tibbie. Our tibbie has a medium length coat that satisfies my children's love of brushing dogs without needing a huge amount of effort on my part to keep it looking good. My youngest daughter was crying because she fell over. I was a little slow in getting to her but our tibbie was with her in a second and would rub and smooch her until she stopped. It was very obvious that he was trying hard to comfort her. Great breed for kids as long as they are treated with respect and can be indoors with their family.

I am biased and love Cavaliers :o They are sporty dogs at heart and love a good walk, run, romp... they keep going and going! They also love a good snooze too so on days where you arn't active they will gladly sleep the entire day away :laugh:

They are companian dogs so don't always cope too well with being left on their own... My husband and I work full time and we have two so that when we are out of the house during the day, they are not alone. Most breeders we contacted agreed that this was a good idea if working.

You can do agility or obediance with Cavaliers - they are people pleasers and love the attention (what dog doesn't eh?). They are a lot of work in maintainance though...they need a thorough grooming at least once a week and then a quick brush/comb throughout the week.

Of course researching the breed first and making sure you buy from a registered breeder who conforms to the necessary health checks etc is a must.... but that being said.... GEES, they are a gorgeous breed! How can you not like this face? :o

155180_462599628130_708598130_5780801_4597241_n.jpg

i luv this pic, is soooo gorgeous, looks like my mollie

Further research these breeds -

Schipperke

Shih Tzu

Tibetian Spaniel

Tibetian Terrier

Lhasa Apso

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

Miniature Poodle

Bichon Frise

These are good, perhaps too small, not robust enough - depends on the children

Pomeranian

Maltese

Papillon

Pekinese

My recommendation would be the Schipperke. Wonderful with children, very active, good watchdog, usually not over friendly with strangers. Like the Model T Ford, comes in black, although cream may sometimes be available - not very fluffy, although may be fluffy-ish as pups. Tibetan Spaniel is great, has more hair

Sue & Cindy

I flucked a great healthy dog but I shudder at what could have been

I shudder at the thought of the flucking? Do you want to clarify?? :)

When I was about that age, 10/11 yrs, my family got a Shetland sheepdog (Sheltie).

He was perfect for 3 young girls.

I took him to obedience and he was very smart and easy to train.

They do need quite a bit of grooming and I have heard that some are barkers although ours wasn't.

Again some have a reputation as being very/too shy but ours wasn't.

I would be picky choosing breeders-but that is like all dogs.

Further research these breeds -

Schipperke

Shih Tzu

Tibetian Spaniel

Tibetian Terrier

Lhasa Apso

Cavalier King Charles Spaniel

Miniature Poodle

Bichon Frise

These are good, perhaps too small, not robust enough - depends on the children

Pomeranian

Maltese

Papillon

Pekinese

My recommendation would be the Schipperke. Wonderful with children, very active, good watchdog, usually not over friendly with strangers. Like the Model T Ford, comes in black, although cream may sometimes be available - not very fluffy, although may be fluffy-ish as pups. Tibetan Spaniel is great, has more hair

Sue & Cindy

I flucked a great healthy dog but I shudder at what could have been

I shudder at the thought of the flucking? Do you want to clarify?? :)

:) As a total FLUKE I got a healthy well ajusted "mini labradoodle" :)

Is this family aware that "fluffy" equals "needs lots of brushing and combing and possibly professional grooming"?

Will the dog be inside with the family?

If they're up for the grooming and allowing a dog inside then I'd point them hard in the direction of a Toy or Miniature Poodle - great kids dogs :)

Is this family aware that "fluffy" equals "needs lots of brushing and combing and possibly professional grooming"?

Will the dog be inside with the family?

If they're up for the grooming and allowing a dog inside then I'd point them hard in the direction of a Toy or Miniature Poodle - great kids dogs :love:

I have talked to them about grooming and clipping and am about to take a maltese over and show them the grooming.

Trouble is I am getting puppy clucky! :)