Mild Pain Relief

Daxilly

Is there anything for mild pain relief in dogs? Something like Panadol for canines.

Our ACD hurt herself and while it was not bad enough for the vet, I did notice that she did have a restless night. Something to allow her pain relief so the muscle could heal overnight.

Rimadyl and Tramadol probably too strong.

Is it better just to let nature take its course as she slept most of the next day and was fine 24 hours after the injury?

Thanks

I am in favour of some pain ..it keeps them quiet and still :rofl:

What I tend to use is a heated wheat bag on the sore area .. some rescue remedy ,and a spot of lavender oil on the wheatbag or dog bed to help in relaxation :D

I agree with this suggestion (apart from the lavender oil for my old Dobe - he hates it!)

Apparently infant Panadol is ok for dogs too...

No it's not. NEVER use Panadol for dogs. I would also not give aspirin without a vet's OK first.

I would have thought the same but recently I had cause to ring my vets after hours and the vet said to give him a small dose of infant Panadol. I was just quoting the vet-she asked if I had any painkillers and I said only human ones and she asked if I had childrens Panadol, being a Grandma I always have some in the fridge.

that advice was from your vet for your dog. You risk liver damage if the wrong dose is given and honestly vets should not be dealing out that advice over the phone either.

The muscle will heal, lock up the dog in a crate or small place and leave it be. Rapigel or Swelldown Poultice (clay for horses but works magically for dogs) with some newspaper on top will work as well after giving the area a stretch and a bit of a massage

Sage and Vinegar Poultice: Bruise whole fresh sage leaves by flattening them with a rolling pin, but do not break or tear them. Put the leaves into a pan and barely cover with vinegar. Simmer gently for five minutes over a very low heat. The vinegar should not boil, but it should steam so that the sage leaves soften and blanch. After five minutes, remove the leaves and lay them on a cloth. Work quickly, but carefully, as the leaves will be very hot. Fold the cloth into a package which will just cover the affected area. Apply as hot as can be tolerated and cover with towels to retain the heat. Leave on for an hour or so until the swelling has subsided. Sage and Vinegar poultices are traditional for treating bruises or sprains. Vinegar brings bruises to the surface, cooling and reducing swelling. When used together, they are unsurpasses for easing sprains.

Vinegar and Brown Paper Poultice: Put five or six sheets of strong brown paper into a pan and cover with sage vinegar. Place a lid on the pan and steam over a very low heat for a few minutes. The time will depend on the type of paper used. It should soften and absorb some of the vinegar without breaking or disintegrating. Remove the paper and wrap it in overlapping layers around the affected part. Apply as hot as possible and build up several layers. Cover with plastic wrap and bandage in place. Leave for four hours and reapply twice a day until the swelling and bruising have subsided.

This is an effective remedy enshrined in the children's rhyme "Jack and Jill" (Jack "went to bed to mend his head with vinegar and brown paper"). It is very supportive and strengthening for bruises and swellings. Vinegar can also be diluted with warm water and used as a fomentation for sprains and bruises. Diluted with cold or ice water, it makes a good compress for hot, swollen joints or hot tension headaches.

that advice was from your vet for your dog. You risk liver damage if the wrong dose is given and honestly vets should not be dealing out that advice over the phone either.

The muscle will heal, lock up the dog in a crate or small place and leave it be. Rapigel or Swelldown Poultice (clay for horses but works magically for dogs) with some newspaper on top will work as well after giving the area a stretch and a bit of a massage

Sage and Vinegar Poultice: Bruise whole fresh sage leaves by flattening them with a rolling pin, but do not break or tear them. Put the leaves into a pan and barely cover with vinegar. Simmer gently for five minutes over a very low heat. The vinegar should not boil, but it should steam so that the sage leaves soften and blanch. After five minutes, remove the leaves and lay them on a cloth. Work quickly, but carefully, as the leaves will be very hot. Fold the cloth into a package which will just cover the affected area. Apply as hot as can be tolerated and cover with towels to retain the heat. Leave on for an hour or so until the swelling has subsided. Sage and Vinegar poultices are traditional for treating bruises or sprains. Vinegar brings bruises to the surface, cooling and reducing swelling. When used together, they are unsurpasses for easing sprains.

Vinegar and Brown Paper Poultice: Put five or six sheets of strong brown paper into a pan and cover with sage vinegar. Place a lid on the pan and steam over a very low heat for a few minutes. The time will depend on the type of paper used. It should soften and absorb some of the vinegar without breaking or disintegrating. Remove the paper and wrap it in overlapping layers around the affected part. Apply as hot as possible and build up several layers. Cover with plastic wrap and bandage in place. Leave for four hours and reapply twice a day until the swelling and bruising have subsided.

This is an effective remedy enshrined in the children's rhyme "Jack and Jill" (Jack "went to bed to mend his head with vinegar and brown paper"). It is very supportive and strengthening for bruises and swellings. Vinegar can also be diluted with warm water and used as a fomentation for sprains and bruises. Diluted with cold or ice water, it makes a good compress for hot, swollen joints or hot tension headaches.

Panadol, if not taken at the correct dosage causes liver damage in humans too-doesn't mean it isn't perfectly safe at the correct dosage, I would be cautious in the use of Panadol for dogs or humans & altho' willing to concede that vets aren't necessarily always right I would presume they would be knowledgable enough to dispense advice via the phone.

No it's not. NEVER use Panadol for dogs. I would also not give aspirin without a vet's OK first.

There is a safe dose of Panadol for dogs.

If the dog is in enough pain to require pain relief, IMO it should see a vet. If it's just mild, just rest is enough.

If the dog is in enough pain to require pain relief, IMO it should see a vet. If it's just mild, just rest is enough.

I thnk it is best not to advise people on a public forum to give their dogs panadol. Some would take this advice instead of paying money to visit a vet. Far too risky to play around with at home. You could do damage to your dog.

I thnk it is best not to advise people on a public forum to give their dogs panadol. Some would take this advice instead of paying money to visit a vet. Far too risky to play around with at home. You could do damage to your dog.

Where did I advise people to give their dogs Panadol?

I simply clarified a statement saying that Panadol can NEVER be used, as it can be, under direction from a vet with a calculated dose. I did not provide the dose or suggest anyone give it without instruction from their vet.

Edited by stormie

IF the dog is in enough pain to be restless then IMO they do need to see a vet to get checked. If they are in a small amount of pain but can happily rest when kept quiet then they don't need anything.

I would always ring the vets advice before giving any sort of pain killer that is not prescribed for your dog. I have Rimadyl here from a previous injury as I never give them X amount of tablets until they are all finished. Rommi hurt her leg and on vet advice I started her on them again, within 24 hours she was very doughy and started vomiting yellow bile once sometimes twice a day. So even stuff prescribed can have adverse effects, so be very careful I would not be risking long term consequences for a consult fee.