Have A Photo That I Can Use Of Big Happy Dog In Crate?

Kitt

Hi everyone,

I'm adopting another greyhound next week and was asking the foster carer a few questions last night in order to prepare Lucy's new home. I asked the foster carer if Lucy has ever had crate training - ie has she been in a crate with the door shut. The reason I asked about having the door shut is that a dog who's only ever been in an open crate might freak out if she's closed into a crate for whatever reason. (I was just trying to cover all bases by asking a very specific question.) The lady answered "I hope not". So I think that she thinks I'm talking about some horrible type of punishment box :hug:

I'm sending her a friendly email now explaining what I really meant, but I just thought it might be nice if I could attach a photo of a large dog (even a greyhound if I'm really lucky!) in a crate with toys and soft bedding. There are heaps of photos on the net, but I'm betting that there are lots of DOLers who have photos of their lovely crates with very happy pooches in them. I was wondering if someone might be happy to let me send such a photo to this lady? If so, please pm me.

I don't currently have a crate which is why I don't have a photo of one. My current greyhound has a giant bed, from which she never moves. But I thought it might be a good idea to get one, which is why I asked the foster carer if Lucy has ever been in one.

Thanks everyone.

If this is the person I am thinking of - Don't push it. My advice is if you are set on that dog, just agree to keep the dog however they tell you to keep it.

Greyhounds are used to being kept in enclosures during their racing life. Racing people are not allowed to keep the dogs routinely crated instead, and some may not allow a dog to go to a home where they think it might happen.

If you want to crate train a greyhound, it is usually very easy to do.

Guest belgian.blue

My Pointer puts himself to bed in his crate every night. We go for the last night wee and he wanders in there of his own accord.

I close the door only because he jumps on the bed at about 5:30am and he's a big dog and a wack from his paw in your half asleep face hurts :eek:

If this is the person I am thinking of - Don't push it. My advice is if you are set on that dog, just agree to keep the dog however they tell you to keep it.

Good advice, if people are set against crate training a few photos won't change their view, it will just entrench any view they might have that you are a potentially unsuitable jailer.

Good advice, if people are set against crate training a few photos won't change their view, it will just entrench any view they might have that you are a potentially unsuitable jailer.

Or as somebody that dares to question their knowledge. :eek:

Completely agreed. My boss thinks that Akira sitting in her crate at work is horrible, and always goes on about how it looks like she's in prison. However she likes her crate, and at least I know she's got a place to escape if she's had enough of the guide dog puppy (or I have a place to put her if she needs to calm down!)