Pet Urine Odours In Carpets - How To Get Rid Of Them

bernym

Baking soda has always worked on our carpets when the dogs were pups. :dancingelephant:

When you use the baking soda ( I assume this is the same as carb soda) do you sprinkle it on dry then vacuum it up or make a liquid out of it.???

Good question, Ill await a reply too ;)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The carpet isn't actually visually stained, as I had already used our Vax to shampoo and do several water only rinses, so the carpet looks clean, but the odour is still there as it 'trapped' in the underlay like the carpet cleaner guy suggested. The cat had managed to go many times before we realised as it was under a table and it wasn't until it started to smell that we discovered the carpet was quite saturated.

I like the sound of the Urine off product. I had originally seen one called Urine Free, which makes the same claim that it actually breaks down the uric acid crystals and therefore removes the problem, not just adding perfume over it.

The home based recipe sounds worth a try too, especially for any new ones that will inevitably happen in our house! In fact within 24 hours of having our carpets cleaned we had a blood nose, dog wee, kitten wee, baby vomit and then the next day cat vomit, all on our 'clean' carpet, and these new stains haven't come out, so I think I might make up a spray bottle of that for these newer stains.

I will go and search for a good price for the Urine-off product and will report back once I have used it to see if it works.

Be careful with some of the stains - blood can be easily 'set' with the wrong cleaner.

Having said that - the glicerin, eucalyptus oil trick in the steam cleaner with half the amount of carpet cleaner works really well (another shannon lush recipe) for the pet stains.

I have also found, viva paper towel folded up so that it is four layers thick, put on the spot of wee, then step on it, soaks up pretty much all of the wee (do it twice). Still works a couple of hours after the accident has happened.

I use baking soda as soon as I have noticed the wee - it pulls the wee out of the carpet well and I then just sweep it off into dustpan then vaccuum. We inherited a very wee encrusted carpet with the house we bought and had to rip up the carpet in the bedrooms and hallway.

We recarpeted in the bedrooms which has worked well, lino in the hallway. But the floorboards under the lounge were not tongue and groove so not having a carpet of some type wasnt a goer especialy since we are on peers, the dust in summer plus the cold draft winter not good.

Soooo we bought 1metre square rubber backed indutrial carpet tiles from Bunnings. They come in blue with a broken pin stripe or blue with a solid pin stripe it cost us $560 to buy the tiles and we layed them ourselves. It has been brilliant plus if I have a stained area I can lift it out - treat the stain and replace it when dry.

Certaily not the most attractive colour but damn practical for us - so if you are not violently opposed to blue have a look at the carpet tiles Bunnings.

I don't know how it would go on carpet but I used biozet laundry powder on my tiles and grout. My puppy was constantly peeing in the same place and this worked wonders. I don't see why it wouldn't work on carpet though.

I steam clean my carpets every 2-3 months with the machine from the supermarket, i use a mixture of Biozet laundry Liquid and Pine O Clean lavender fragrance. The Biozet is an enzyme cleaner so breaks down the urine really well and as I am a bit obsessed about cleaning I add in the Lavender Pine O Clean makes the whole house smell lovely :D

My old house had floor boards which was so much better, hopefully I will have floor boards in this house soon.