Pet Urine Odours In Carpets - How To Get Rid Of Them

bernym

Hi

Has anyone had any success in permanently removing urine odours from carpets where pets have repeatedly soiled? We recently had our carpets cleaned and the cleaner said that the only way to get rid of the odours was to replace the underlay as the urine soaks through and although the smell might leave while it is dry, every time it becomes wet again the urine crystals will again release their odour.

I have used a supermarket pet odour product on the carpet but it has only masked the smell and it now smells like a combination of urine/chemical cleaners. I have seen ads on the internet for different pet odour products and want to know if anyone has tried them with success before I part with $40+ to purchase them.

One corner of our carpet, which is the worse affected, has had multiple cat urinations over recent months. Other parts of the carpet has had isolated dog urine. The cat urine odours are the worse.

Is there anything that can be poured through the carpet into the underlay to remove these odours?

Thanks

I use Shannon Lush's Magic Carpet cleaner for all stains and it's better than any commercial products I have tried.

Recipe..

Get a 1 litre spray bottle and add

2 tbs white vinegar

2 tbs metho

2 tbs bicarb soda

2 tsp eucalyptus oil

2 tsp glycerine

Fill with water and mix.

Spray on stains, then rub with a paper towel.

You may need an ultra violet light in the dark to find all the urine stains.

I use Shannon Lush's Magic Carpet cleaner for all stains and it's better than any commercial products I have tried.

Recipe..

2 tbs white vinegar

2 tbs metho

2 tbs bicarb soda

2 tsp eucalyptus oil

2 tsp glycerine

Fill with water and mix.

Thanks, i mite try this myself :dancingelephant:

Recipe..

2 tbs white vinegar

2 tbs metho

2 tbs bicarb soda

2 tsp eucalyptus oil

2 tsp glycerine

Fill with water and mix.

jotting that down - thaanks :dancingelephant:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The carpet isn't actually visually stained, as I had already used our Vax to shampoo and do several water only rinses, so the carpet looks clean, but the odour is still there as it 'trapped' in the underlay like the carpet cleaner guy suggested. The cat had managed to go many times before we realised as it was under a table and it wasn't until it started to smell that we discovered the carpet was quite saturated.

I like the sound of the Urine off product. I had originally seen one called Urine Free, which makes the same claim that it actually breaks down the uric acid crystals and therefore removes the problem, not just adding perfume over it.

The home based recipe sounds worth a try too, especially for any new ones that will inevitably happen in our house! In fact within 24 hours of having our carpets cleaned we had a blood nose, dog wee, kitten wee, baby vomit and then the next day cat vomit, all on our 'clean' carpet, and these new stains haven't come out, so I think I might make up a spray bottle of that for these newer stains.

I will go and search for a good price for the Urine-off product and will report back once I have used it to see if it works.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The carpet isn't actually visually stained, as I had already used our Vax to shampoo and do several water only rinses, so the carpet looks clean, but the odour is still there as it 'trapped' in the underlay like the carpet cleaner guy suggested. The cat had managed to go many times before we realised as it was under a table and it wasn't until it started to smell that we discovered the carpet was quite saturated.

I like the sound of the Urine off product. I had originally seen one called Urine Free, which makes the same claim that it actually breaks down the uric acid crystals and therefore removes the problem, not just adding perfume over it.

The home based recipe sounds worth a try too, especially for any new ones that will inevitably happen in our house! In fact within 24 hours of having our carpets cleaned we had a blood nose, dog wee, kitten wee, baby vomit and then the next day cat vomit, all on our 'clean' carpet, and these new stains haven't come out, so I think I might make up a spray bottle of that for these newer stains.

I will go and search for a good price for the Urine-off product and will report back once I have used it to see if it works.

Try running the Vax over it again with a couple of drops of Nilodor in the water without the shampoo.

Edited by Dracdog

I've had success with neat eucalyptus oil (from supermarkets, I use Bositos). You can use as much or as little as you like/need. Pour a bit on a cloth to scrub new patches, or pour a little bit to sink in the carpet, then scrub rather vigourously. It does kill pongs and stains, as it claims to. Also super good to add to the wash for their beds, towels, face cloths etc.

Recipe..

2 tbs white vinegar

2 tbs metho

2 tbs bicarb soda

2 tsp eucalyptus oil

2 tsp glycerine

Fill with water and mix.

Does this work on really old stains too? After many years of many dogs, some of our carpets are extensively stained, and cleaning hasnt changed their blotched appearance. Im just about ready to rip the lot up and replace them with non-absorbent tiles, but if there is a less drastic solution, Im keen to try it.

I have resorted to putting plastic over the areas where the boys mark :laugh: Looks daggy but they have stopped. No smell no marking.

We ended up replacing our old carpet as it was stained and yes the odour remains in the underlay. Since then and the plastic we have had very little problems. If we do have an issue it is easilly wiped up with spray and wipe with no harm done. :(

I am wondering why don't they just scotchguard or waterproof underlay so it can't soak through in the first place. Perhaps I should scotchguard the carpet so future pee just beads on top, or spray teflon on it so that it actually sprays back up and hits the unsuspecting pooch/kitty where it hurts :thumbsup:

I am worried the more I wet it, the more it will smell. Will see whether I have success with the Urine Off product and report back (once I work out where is the cheapest place to buy it from). went to pet barn today and they don't have it, but had something else which was actually more expensive then the online shops, so didn't buy it.

Does this work on really old stains too? After many years of many dogs, some of our carpets are extensively stained, and cleaning hasnt changed their blotched appearance. Im just about ready to rip the lot up and replace them with non-absorbent tiles, but if there is a less drastic solution, Im keen to try it.

Not sure - but if you are chucking the carpet it can't hurt to try. I know she always wants to know what people have tried on stains before she tells them what to use as often people use stuff that makes them worse and you have to undo the damage first.

• 7 months later...

Both Urine Free and Urine Off work extremely well. We had a puppy that made a mess of my bother's room because my brother wasn't noticing him coming in and weeing (don't ask) and it absolutely stank and I thought I'd have to replace the carpet. I sprayed it thoroughly with Urine off and the smell has now permanently been removed from the carpet and the underlay. I have also used both products on the outdoor area where my dogs wee when it's raining and it worked on that too. It's a pebbly concrete.

I used Urine Free on very old stains as well and it either removed or lightened the yellow wee stain on the cream carpet. I did this after I steam cleaned as the steam cleaning didn't get rid of the wee stains.

Edited by Akay

Baking soda has always worked on our carpets when the dogs were pups. :dancingelephant:

When you use the baking soda ( I assume this is the same as carb soda) do you sprinkle it on dry then vacuum it up or make a liquid out of it.???