New Neighbours - Barking Dog

Michelleva

About 2 weeks ago new people moved into the rental house next door. They have a little terrier type dog and the barking is driving me nuts. Not to mention my dog is recovering from surgery and hearing this dog barking so much is upsetting her too.

It doesn't bark when they are home, but its been going on and off since 8.30 this morning. What do i do? I know they have little kids and I don't want them to have to give up their dog, but this little dog seems scared and lonely to me. i've peeked over the fence and he has no toys/bones or anything to amuse himself with by the look of it.

I'm sure it won't take long and someone will complain to the council about it. As a dog owner, i'd only do that as a last resort. Maybe I should knock on their door tonight and let them know whats going on while they're not around.

I'm sure it won't take long and someone will complain to the council about it. As a dog owner, i'd only do that as a last resort. Maybe I should knock on their door tonight and let them know whats going on while they're not around.

Do that. Our neighbours did to us not long after we moved in and had they not told us we wouldn't have known. We soon sorted the problem out though. Pity they didn't do the same when their dog would howl till all hours of the night when they weren't home.

The little dog is quiet at the moment, its bucketing down here, so hopefully he has a kennel and he's asleep in there. :kissbetter: or maybe they have come home. When I see them next I will mention it to them, so hopefully they can make some changes. I think he's scared and lonely in a new place, with not much to do. Presumably these people worked where they lived before.

Presumably these people worked where they lived before.

Hmmmmm.........or not. (sorry)

We have a neighbour who is about to move out. She is a stay at home carer and he works longish hours. I had a sick day earlier this week and you could tell the exact moment she went to pick the kids up and when she got home. When they went to the shops, when they got home.

They are out, the dog barks. Poor little mite. They know it barks because our other neighbours go and get it when they are out at night.

She is pretty clueless though - the other week she came and put the screaming/carrying on little dog in amongst my 3 border collies. My boy doesn't like carry on and was looking at me as if to say 'do something about this before I do'. She got quite offended when I bluntly told her to get rid of it. I wasn't rude, but was very blunt simply because I didn't want to see her dog get a telling off from my boy who is about 9 times its size!

Apparently they've had advice that you just can't train some 'breeds'. I had the little guy staying at the top of his stairs in 5 minutes, it is a CLEVER little dog - go figure.

Some people just don't get it or care.

ETA - I think you need to go and at least do them the courtesy of letting them know they have a problem. I know I appreciated it when someone told me in a civil manner that a dog we used to have barked a lot. Makes it far easier to address the issue if you care to.

Edited by Agility Dogs

Let the neighbours know and give the dog some time to settle in. I had been in my new house not 10 days and had the r/e ring up because a neighbour had said the dogs were barking and also a letter in the mailbox from "the street" We knew exactly who it was from though and it was not the whole street lol.

It really upset me that the neighbours didnt give us a chance to settle before they were complaining about us. So give it time.

If my neighbor hadn't of very nicely told me about Banjo barking we would never have been able to fix it.

It also could have led to other not so nice neighbors going straight to the council.

I say tell them nicely. I really appreciated it when I found out.

Why would they give the dog up because it's barking?

You might want to consider:

A) It takes a little while for dogs to settle into new environments

B) It's toys might be out of your sight so not to make assumptions

C) It might have seperation anxiety so toys and so forth don't matter to it

D) The Owners probably have no idea of it's barking.

Let them know about it in a nice way, if you don't want to do it face to face, just leave them a note.

How do you fix a barking/howling dog problem without bringing the dogs indoors? Just curious cos my girl is indoors only when I'm out, I don't know what I'd do if she was a barker and I still had to keep her outdoors

Our dog started going out the farm with the OH again. He had stopped taking him because he had a registered bike and was riding that to save money so we used to have him home, take him in the car, then he would stay a night at Nanna'a, then bring him home in the etc. so the car got used half the time Once it was winter the car was used then the bike got sold.

Please let the neighbors know nicely. As for no toys- the dog may not care for them or may be a destroyer so it's not safe to leave them.

It took my male about a month to really settle in here- until then he would yap at everything. I kept him inside during the day but when I was home he'd run around like a nut.

Just let your neighbours know that their dogs is making noise. They, maybe, don't know that their dog is loud and unsettled.

When I moved to my new place... I went to my closest neighbours to introduce myself and Charlie, and explain to them that Charlie maybe bark while settling in and let me know if he gets annoying. They were wonderful and told me that Charlie was really quiet, and didn't know he was home... it's only noisy when I'm at home with the dogs ;) :) They love the lovely conversation I have with Charlie :laugh:

Well I just came home and the little dog was out the front of the house. I went to see him and he'd already gone back through the hole he dug under the fence. I think he's scared, this little boy. I feel sorry for him. He must have already tried to get out because their bins were lined up along the side gate.

He hasn't been barking a lot today though, only when he saw me. Poor little doggy. :)

Well I just came home and the little dog was out the front of the house. I went to see him and he'd already gone back through the hole he dug under the fence. I think he's scared, this little boy. I feel sorry for him. He must have already tried to get out because their bins were lined up along the side gate.

He hasn't been barking a lot today though, only when he saw me. Poor little doggy. :)

Make sure you let them know that their dog can get out.