Loungefly

Hi...

does she really stare at you ?

She may be ,in her way, 'herding' you ..and trying to control you with her eyes . She may be moving, ever so slightly as you move... her instincts at work.

This is not really a good plan- she may get fixated...

Perhaps have a bed in the main rooms.. and have her lie there and stay? Or crate train her?

Quite possibly I am way off track.... :(

But it is the first thing which came into my head.

One of my purebred Kelpies followed me everywhere until she was about 3 and must have decided that I could be trusted not to get lost. Now she still is the first one to curl up at my feet whenever I sit down at the computer or to read or watch TV. She was never demanding but just had to be close to me. Often my dogs will follow me when I am cleaning the house or working in the garden. I can never peg out a load of washing without the gang following me and usually lying in the shade watching. Then they follow me back inside again. I don't know if its a characteristic of Kelpies or Kelpie crosses - my GSD x does the same thing.

Loungefly there was nothing wrong with your post, except instead of instead of mentioning breed names, just call her a dog.

She's doing dog things more so than breed things. :(

Sounds like she is a very devoted, friendly and intelligent dog.

It never hurts to do what I call 'separation training' on such a clingy dog. What Persephone said, starting with teaching the dog to lie quietly in another room, and not always be right with you. That way if the dog ever has to be left alone at a vet or kennel, they are just that bit better able to cope.

I might be alone on this one, but... Isn't Dogzonline is a forum created for the discussion of purebred dogs?

I haven't seen the original post which has unfortunately now been deleted but my understanding is that owners of cross breeds are permitted to post here and discuss their dogs so long as they do not extol the virtues of cross breeds ... If the OP referred to the dog by a funky DD Portmanteau name, given that it was a simple nomenclature error it might have been a little gentler to just ask her to revise the name in accordance with forum rules. I've seen other members do it quite nicely.

loungefly: Please repost. One of my doggies is a crossbreed and I've received lots of useful advice from DOLers.

Edited by koalathebear

I might be alone on this one, but... Isn't Dogzonline is a forum created for the discussion of purebred dogs?

I haven't seen the original post which has unfortunately now been deleted but my understanding is that owners of cross breeds are permitted to post here and discuss their dogs so long as they do not extol the virtues of cross breeds ... If the OP referred to the dog by a funky DD Portmanteau name, given that it was a simple nomenclature error it might have been a little gentler to just ask her to revise the name in accordance with forum rules. I've seen other members do it quite nicely.

loungefly: Please repost. One of my doggies is a crossbreed and I've received lots of useful advice from DOLers.

The doglet is a Kelpie/Lab X who IIRC from the original post is named Mia, and I'm sure is gorgeous. There was nothing wrong with the post or the title. Please post again loungefly.

The doglet is a Kelpie/Lab X who IIRC from the original post is named Mia, and I'm sure is gorgeous. There was nothing wrong with the post or the title. Please post again loungefly.

And with photos please!!! :(

It wasn't a problem mentioning that the dog was cross bred. The only disappointing thing was this forum being asked only for the opinions of people with dogs of the same 'breeding'.

Cross bred dogs may be nothing like their own siblings let alone like any dog from a different cross breeding.

All of the behaviour mentioned was common in most popular breeds of dog. :(

Cross bred dogs may be nothing like their own siblings let alone like any dog from a different cross breeding.

*nods*

MANY years ago.... back in the dark ages :laugh: when Guide dogs started experimenting with crosses ,using labs/kelpies/boxers There was such a weird & wonderful variety of( and plenty of NOT so wonderful) traits :(

Edited by persephone

I agree with this generally but was interested to note when I was looking for doggie #2 and speaking with the Working Kelpie Council, I mentioned that dog #1 was a Kelpie/Border collie cross from working lines and they mentioned that Kelpie/Border Collie is an extremely common and successful cross that is frequently used for working sheep. In fact, from memory, a lovely doggie from the early 1900s named Bantry Girl (apparently an outstanding sheepdog trial bitch) and her ancestors are the origin of the Kelpie breed as well as part of the foundation of the Border collie in Australia. Kind of like the Great Great Great Grandma of Border Collies and Kelpies in Australia. Perhaps that's why that combo at least is regarded as notionally reliable among working lines?

It is certainly the case though that crossbreeds are extremely unpredictable. I know this for a fact. :(

Edited by koalathebear

Just a few comments,

Thanks Dju for opening the can of worms, and thanks to a couple others who joined in by apparently reading far too much into what I originally posted in order to get on their soapbox.

It wasn't a problem mentioning that the dog was cross bred. The only disappointing thing was this forum being asked only for the opinions of people with dogs of the same 'breeding'.

No, it would have been disappointing had I been promoting or glorifying the crossbreeding of these breeds (or any other breeds for that matter), which I clearly wasn’t. Nor was I suggesting that they would have the same temperament just because they were the same crossbreed. Out of general curiosity I was asking others with the same crossbreed about the personalities of their dogs (not “Does your Kelpie/Lab act just like this?”). I never once suggested they would or should have the same traits as my dog. I don’t approve of breeding of different breeds together (the whole ‘designer dog’ thing) out of some coolness factor or for some naive assumption that you will end up with a dog with the best traits of each. The fact is, we were ready to have another dog in our lives and we chose to get ours from the Animal Welfare League because there were dogs in need. That hardly qualifies me to be on the receiving end of same kind of snarkiness that (deservedly so) is reserved for people who glorify the crossbreeding of dogs for the hell of it.

Cross bred dogs may be nothing like their own siblings ....

I know this and I never suggested otherwise. BTW, that can also be said about purebreds as well. I’ve seen many a purebred dog that was different in temperament to it’s siblings.

I agree with the others - post your original question and don't worry about the fact your dog is a cross breed. All dogs and dog loving people are welcome.

Thanks :thumbsup: But it’s clear I should have posted the original post in a different forum. I’d rather not deal with nitpicking over things that I never actually suggested to begin with. Life’s too short.

Edited by Loungefly

I agree with the others - post your original question and don't worry about the fact your dog is a cross breed. All dogs and dog loving people are welcome.

Agree 100% - the person who objected was out of line - the rule is NO DENIGRATION of purebred dogs, not NO DISCUSSION of crossbreeds!

So sorry Loungefly you got "the treatment".

The forum is a fantastic resource with heaps of info and opportunities to help dogs in need.

Do what I do .... post very rarely, read and learn, and help when you can.

The advance search function is fab.

Personally I find it useful for posters to tell me what breed/crossbreed of dog they have. A factual description of the dog is hardly "promotion".

Some behaviours are more likely in certain breeds or crossbreeds - that's a significant reason for why we developed breeds in the first place! :thumbsup:

Personally I find it useful for posters to tell me what breed/crossbreed of dog they have. A factual description of the dog is hardly "promotion".

Some behaviours are more likely in certain breeds or crossbreeds - that's a significant reason for why we developed breeds in the first place! :)

Totally agree. Mentioning the breeds that make up a crossbred dog and asking if anyone else has the same cross is hardly threatening to purebred dogs.