What've You Done With Your Photography This Year?

iltby

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It was December last year when I was loaned my first DSLR :) I've learnt so much in that time and still have so far to go. I think the photography achievement I'm most proud of is being asked to be a second shooter for Savvy Studios :) If you told me that twelve months ago, I would have laughed in your face :thanks:

This was one of my first ever DSLR pics (going back through my Flickr stream):

4180305901_a7d9a0e184_z.jpg?zz=1

One of my most recent:

5213659105_39446c1525_z.jpg

A few of my wedding faves (all shot as second shooter with Savvy Studios):

5077913948_335f7674c1_z.jpg

5162883585_edb08fc680_z.jpg

5216549253_a0c0a65c18_z.jpg

Yes, I'm very happy with it and can't wait to continue with it next year :)

Edited by huga

I wish I'd had more time to play with my camera this year! I think I've learnt so much and I can't wait to learn more!

Some things I'm proud of are:

A shoot with Lovemesideways' Riddick and Rover:

4959993522_6637790ffa.jpg

working with very low light photography:

4884477315_b58220549c.jpg

Shooting with the gorgeous Trinity:

4591459310_12cdba329d.jpg

Working with kids and not getting crappy shots:

4318319341_6ea2d70e33.jpg

Not to mention I now have a DOP credit to my name on a shoot I did for LifeStyle YOU on my 5D mark II (video) and my shots have been used for external print ad campaigns. The new promo should start going to air over the weekend so I'm excited to see it on TV! :thanks: I count it as part of my photography because all of my knowledge came from my photography.

Ummm... what have I achieved?

More than I dreamed of :rofl: If I was given this list in January I would have died from laughter.

I had the equal highest scoring album at the WPPI awards in Las Vegas and missed out by one vote on winning the 'Grand Album Award" - I still won first place in my category (Non-wedding, informal) - First time I had entered and the photos from the album are now used/stolen/found all over the internet. :thanks:

I judged for the first time at the Qld professional photography awards and was invited to judge at the national awards in Melbourne (which I did) - usually only Masters of Photography judge... it's a pretty big thing for a member of only two years to be allowed to judge, most are still trying to just understand the competition.

I am the current Qld Australian Institute of Photography Illustrative Photographer of the Year. :rofl:

I won my first Gold award at State competition and followed it up with my first Gold award at the nationals. :)

I attained my Associate of Photography title :D

I launched my new brands as sub-divisions of www.savvystudios.com.au - www.bettyboudoir.com.au , www.thepetproject.com.au (with Rocco) and www.b-nurtured.com (only launched a few days ago).

I was voted onto the Qld committee of the AIPP and I'm currently an education officer. I get to travel to tertiary institutions and high schools and talk about what I love.

We moved from working at home to a proper studio space and it's awesome.

Tomorrow morning I'm helping with the judging of the Qld Student Awards and I came up with the idea for their biggest prize ever and managed to snag a very big industry name as a part of it (when everyone told me it couldn't be done.)

I'm officially having my first public speaking engagement as a photographer talking to other photographers as a part of a conference in February (and I'm slightly terrified).

And as an achievement, I'm really happy that I keep harassing Rocco and Huga to shoot, shoot, shoot! I started harassing Rocco last year, so I can safely say that Huga has been the most awesome discovery of the year and she's makes a brilliant shooter at weddings. :D

so yeah... it's been a quiet year here in photography. :)

(I don't get gloat much about what I do on DOL so it actually feels nice to share this with the people who have seen me hanging around these forums for a few years. :) )

I started harassing Rocco last year, so I can safely say that Huga has been the most awesome discovery of the year and she's makes a brilliant shooter at weddings. :)

Oh look at this.... next best thing comes along and I am cast away like a piece of rubbish! :thanks:

Its has been a good/weird year. For me was my awards and making a healthy $$$ selling my images to a few large International corporations.

Also making some good friends with Huga and Alicia.

I must admit though, I have lost a bit of interest in photography or maybe burnt out..... 2011 might be the year to learn pottery. I reckon I could make a mean salad bowl.

Probably the last few months have been big learning curves for me.

Some recent work ive been proud of:

5144213160_67f5d62921_z.jpg

MD by ♥ Carlz ♥, on Flickr

5143615687_65e1b4a551_z.jpg

MD by ♥ Carlz ♥, on Flickr

5143620059_ffd8cce4da_z.jpg

TK by ♥ Carlz ♥, on Flickr

5191351837_26666e90cc_z.jpg

Nell and Steve - Love by ♥ Carlz ♥, on Flickr

I think its great how we can look back at where we started and see improvements. I cant wait to see the improvements this time next year! :)

Well done to all of you have really gone far this year! :thanks:

ETA

Edited by Bellatrix

What have I done? Nothing. I feel like I wasted the year but I was too much with study/uni. Actually, no... I did a whole month of self-portraits and I should be proud of that! I don't mind being in front of the camera now... But after about April things just went downhill...

Time to get back on the horse for 2011.

I started harassing Rocco last year, so I can safely say that Huga has been the most awesome discovery of the year and she's makes a brilliant shooter at weddings. :)

Oh look at this.... next best thing comes along and I am cast away like a piece of rubbish! :thanks:

Its has been a good/weird year. For me was my awards and making a healthy $$$ selling my images to a few large International corporations.

Also making some good friends with Huga and Alicia.

I must admit though, I have lost a bit of interest in photography or maybe burnt out..... 2011 might be the year to learn pottery. I reckon I could make a mean salad bowl.

:rofl: You're not cast away. I still want your body :)

Just take your time finding your groove thing. In the meantime, we should all buy roller skates and form our own roller derby team. :rofl::)

I have had so much fun with photography in the past year :)

I set up a website, my FB group and just thought I would see where it took me.

It has now turned into paid work and I couldn’t be happier. I haven’t had a free weekend for 7 weeks and I don’t care! (haha that may change)

I also take photos for VicDogRescue now (thanks to your thread Kirislin!) which I love doing and have met some lovely people through. I do want to take all the pooches home though and have learnt I would suck at fostering.

I learnt to stop using the ‘aged photo’ preset on every single photo I took. Why did I do that!? :) I struggle to look at some of them now :thumbsup: I also think I have learnt to take a better photo and not just edit the sh#t out of it.

I also take photos for Triathlon & Multisport Magazine each month which is super cool!!!!

Oh and not to forget probably my favourite part was that my photo of Charche from the Canon Photo5 comp was used in their EOS campaign so I got to see boof head on TV and cry each time :laugh:

I learn something new from each job and still have a long way to go but man I love it :)

Oh and I have now met in person Ruthless, Anniek, Kirislin, Clicking Mad, kittikat09 and Jata whom I wouldnt have if it wasnt for these threads!

You're all totally awesome, I can't emphasise enough how much I look up to you ;)

Katie, what DSLR did you end up getting?

I had a D80 first, but it was a lemon, so I upgraded to a D300s and I lurrrrrrve it :)

Well this year (thanks to DOL) i've become obsessed with photography - haven't done anything exciting yet - but just bought my first DSLR :):) ;) It should be here by next week - SOOOO excited, so hopefully next year will be a fun year of learning!!!!!

I've just been learning, learning, learning. I don't have a decent camera, though I have a new battery coming for the GOOD point and shoot (the next camera up from my p&s is a DSLR) and I'm hoping to get a DSLR next year. My main accomplishment has been with editing, because while I've always been decent with Photoshop, most of my work has been for web rather than editing photos. I still have a LONG way to go, obviously, but I'm learning.

Best photo for the year is definitely this one:

75637_506469625839_218800254_216119_81325_n.jpg

This year for me has been some serious growth in my photography. I am looking at my photos and I can see them improving and I understand why. Ive completed an advanced photography course which will be all come together next week with an exhibition of my work and the other participants of the course. 2 of my images were chosen for the advertising of the exhibiton :laugh:

Im also partway through a portraiture course and have my first ever shoot with models next week (so excited!) My tutor has invited me to go along early next week to help him set up so he can give me a run down on how the studio set up works and is going to take me along on some of his upcoming shoots :)

Plus I switched teams and got my first Canon and I love it!!!

I have taken a few images this year that I am proud of, all in all photography wise a good year

I cannot claim to have achieved anything other than still having fun with it. I dont think I've improved much, and I am not happy with where I'm at but I suspect I'd better get used to it :laugh:

I've also met some people through the photography forum that I would never have, without coming here, Luke W, AnnieK, Clicking Mad, Becandcharch and Evolving who came to our last whippet fun day and took some lovely photos. I hope she comes again. I've made a redbubble calendar of our fun days to raise money for the club and they're proving popular, 9 sold yesterday!! All pretty small in the scheme of things but fun for me all the same.

Bec, I loved your aged photo preset if that was that desaturated browny greeny look so many had, but I understand what you are saying about not relying on editing and learning to take a better photo in the first place, although I think yours are pretty good anyway.

Just take your time finding your groove thing. In the meantime, we should all buy roller skates and form our own roller derby team. :p :laugh:

You know I was joking, I really appreciate you giving me the time out right now.

and the RD team, I am so in!! I think I might buy some skates. :)

ETA: Kirisiln I think you have improve immensely. Keep it up.

Edited by rocco

I actually put my 450D on Manual focus for the first time this year - to take photos of dripping water... *grin*

One day I'm gonna find some time to read the "for Dummies" book I bought, and even try to do some stuff outside my comfort zone (read set to Auto and point in the right direction)

T.

Bec, I loved your aged photo preset if that was that desaturated browny greeny look so many had, but I understand what you are saying about not relying on editing and learning to take a better photo in the first place, although I think yours are pretty good anyway.

Yeah thats the one. I think I reeeeally went overboard with it but thanks! :confused: