I Almost Killed My Dog By Giving Him Fish Oil Tablets :(

Megan2010

was a huge fan of fish oil until this week. my baby was vomiting last thursday night and friday night, was taken to vets on saturday with suspected pancreatitis, was given injection and antibiotics for the week and limited diet.

has done well all week, until yesterday when i gave her a fish oil capsule (first time since last friday) and have been up all night (again!) with her being sick, so no more fish oil for us.

not sure what to do now with regards to the arthritis and being stiff and sore, sashas blend and those sorts of powders didnt work, cartrophen didnt work, and now it appears i cant use fish oil :wave:

Have you tried Jointguard? Also there is another product for Arthritis sufferers called Synflex, so check out this recent thread on Synflex which has links to info on this product and the Australian supplier.

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=210915

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my holistic vet rcommends cycling thru the oild supplements and always adding a vitE

it goes to show that just because something is "natural" doen not mean it cannot do harm

also for those with small dogs liquid supplements may be best and capsules are made for humans.. big difference in weight

H

was a huge fan of fish oil until this week. my baby was vomiting last thursday night and friday night, was taken to vets on saturday with suspected pancreatitis, was given injection and antibiotics for the week and limited diet.

has done well all week, until yesterday when i gave her a fish oil capsule (first time since last friday) and have been up all night (again!) with her being sick, so no more fish oil for us.

not sure what to do now with regards to the arthritis and being stiff and sore, sashas blend and those sorts of powders didnt work, cartrophen didnt work, and now it appears i cant use fish oil :(

I've been using Wagners MSM Joint Powder for the last 3 years for the dogs. It contains glucosamine and chondrointin. There was an obvious improvement in my old rescue Rottie who had bad arthritis and really bad hips. I now give a small daily dose as a preventive to my younger dogs who have no arthritis. It's a human formula and lasts a lot longer and is a lot cheaper than Joint Guard..which I used to give the dogs. For us it worked better than Joint Guard.

well, we have just been sick again, so maybe it wasnt the fish oil after all. (did think that maybe i need to either cut the capsule and pour oil on food or move to oil only as the gelatin in the capsules is meat based and my dog cannot tolerate red meat at all)

will limit food again today and take it slower when adding new foods. She only had 100 g chicken breast yesterday and 1/2 cup veges, so not sure what is upsetting her at the moment.

have tried feeding her twice a day as recommended by vet, fed at 9 am and 4 pm and not sure why she is being sick at 6 am, seems to be a long time.????

well, we have just been sick again, so maybe it wasnt the fish oil after all. (did think that maybe i need to either cut the capsule and pour oil on food or move to oil only as the gelatin in the capsules is meat based and my dog cannot tolerate red meat at all)

will limit food again today and take it slower when adding new foods. She only had 100 g chicken breast yesterday and 1/2 cup veges, so not sure what is upsetting her at the moment.

have tried feeding her twice a day as recommended by vet, fed at 9 am and 4 pm and not sure why she is being sick at 6 am, seems to be a long time.????

It could be bile from an empty stomach. My GSD is RAW fed twice daily and sometimes she would have a small bile upchuck early in the morning. You could try giving her a small snack at bedtime and see if that tides her over. That is what I have to do now.

have been giving her two small meals a day since last saturday, gave her fish oil (cut the capsule though this time and just gave her the oil) and she was fine last night so it may have just been a coincidence. really do like the results of the fish oil with her arthritis, so maybe i just need to give her a little bit more to eat each time as i have been trying to be careful and also trying to get some weight off her.

Hi Sllebasi,

My RottyX,Shepherd and poss Kelpie girl had acute pancreatis earlier this year - a most harrowing experience. She is well now but i still stick to a regime with feeding etc and absolutely no lamb (she's never been interested in roo). She has pet mince from the local butcher - 90% of the time I give it to her cooked with garlic, water and rice flour added - 1/2 cup of this is mixed in with 1 1/2 cups dry food (Woofbix from Woolies seems to best tolerated) and only occasionally does she have it raw. Chicken wings with excess skin cut off and chicken necks but these only given 2 or 3 times per week - good old nylon type bone for chewing/cleaning teeth after tea.

As you would be aware there is a lot of trial and error in this but we found our dog could only tolerate 6 - 12 hour fast initially (not 24 hours as suggested). We found Mylanta more palatable (5ml for our girl of 29kg) than Peptosyl which she used to bring back up. We worked on various formulas which I can let you know if you would like but now months afterwards, we still give her a drink of cooked mince/water mixture early in the morning before her walk as she used to have reflux on her walk and vomit up white watery stuff with occasional bits of dried food (sorry for the visual!). When we got home she would have mince/cottage cheese mixture with water and cereal (sometimes a bit of ours!) or cooked rice so that I could give her the glucosamine and fish oil capsules. She would then just have drinks during the day, occasional small biscuit and then just her tea at night with a lower dosed glucosamine/chondroitin tablet.

We have stuck to this early drink ritual since and only occasionally vary her night time meal with perhaps a bit of juices from bolognaise pan to add flavour from time to time - after all she is almost human :angeldevil: and we certainly watch what anyone else wants to give her!

I don't know if this helps, but I can understand how you feel and hope it all pans out. Good Luck

My RottyX,Shepherd and poss Kelpie girl had acute pancreatis earlier this year - a most harrowing experience. She is well now but i still stick to a regime with feeding etc and absolutely no lamb (she's never been interested in roo). She has pet mince from the local butcher - 90% of the time I give it to her cooked with garlic, water and rice flour added - 1/2 cup of this is mixed in with 1 1/2 cups dry food (Woofbix from Woolies seems to best tolerated) and only occasionally does she have it raw. Chicken wings with excess skin cut off and chicken necks but these only given 2 or 3 times per week - good old nylon type bone for chewing/cleaning teeth after tea.

Before cooking pet mince please check with your butcher that he doesn't use ground up chicken frames or any other bone in the pet mince. Cooked bone is dangerous for dogs even in small pieces. It's sharp and brittle. All the pet mince I've come across contains ground up bone. I don't feed pet mince. I either make up a BARF mix myself using human grade meat or buy the Billinhurst BARF available frozen from the large pet stores. It seems the Lamb and the Kangaroo has the lowest fat content of all the Billinghurst varieties. The Roo is only 3% fat. The lamb is 11%. Rabbit is 14%. Yesterday I put one teaspoon of Kangaroo BARF in with her meal and she tolerated it with no issues. She's been on a prescription diet since the Pancreatitis attack.

What percentage is the fat content of Woofbix and does it contain grains? As we've learned, fat is the enemy of a pancreatitis dog. I rarely feed dry food and my last purchase was Canidae Salmon and ?? (whatever the other fish is). It doesn't contain grains and I prefer grain free if I need to feed any dry food. High quality and low fat is the way to go with dry food as well as with fresh/raw food.

I now have the NZ Colostrum powder as well as Enzyplex and my dog it having these supplements every day. One Pancreatitis attack was more than enough so hopefully all will be well now and we won't have a repeat performance.

I bought a PawPaw and Mint supplement as well as Bromelain (Pineapple) supplement from the health store. Just want to be well prepared if we every have another episode.

Hope all is going well with our other pancreatitis dogs in this thread.

I feed my dog a tin of sardines over two days, about once a week.

And I put wheat bran in her home made caserole and our fave treat is promite on toast - which we both like. Wholemeal bread. I also put cooked brown rice in the casserole. Which also has vitaimin E though it is questionable how much of the rice actually gets digested - given rice is how I tell which poo belongs to my dog...

There is vitamin E in wheat bran. Woo hoo.

And according to this thread - vitamin e in the sardines too (but I imagine fresh sardines would have more than tinned).

Just wondering how a "balanced" raw diet can lead to vitamin deficiencies.

All I can say is everything in moderation.

My dog also gets a commercial dry kibble as the other half of her meal. So I figure any vitamims I miss in the casserole, she'd get in that.

I must admit a search showed up a lot of pairings for vitamin E and fish oil ie you need both. I don't feed or eat fish oil I do feel eating your vitamins in naturally occuring food is the best way to get them. Then you don't get as many problems with refined stuff missing their nutritional partners.

I am experimenting with putting calcium carbonate in the casserole. The current amount works out to about 1/2 a teaspoon per day. I don't feed bones to my dog because they tend to come back to haunt us in the middle of the night. :(

have had a successful few days so far.The trick seemed to be giving her a little bit more to eat than what i was giving her for her second meal. I am also cutting the fish oil capsule to release the oil (cannot tolerate red meat and thought the gelatine in the capsules might be affecting her with a sensitive stomach).

when i get back into routine after christmas i want to do things properly by measuring meat, veges, and pasta, and working out a proper balanced meal over the week with fish three times a week, and chicken the other three to four times, and with a variety of veges.

have been looking into processed and raw foods with things like all bran that already have the flaxseed or vit e added, so far i have only really come up with eggs for the vit E

2 fish oil caps a meal for a tiny little Malt? Gee even an adult human is told 3 per meal and starting slowly from 1.

Have you been given a diagnosis from your vet about your Neo's reaction?

And I would have thought that 8 x 1000mg fish oil caps would be far too much for an 80kilo dog also :)

The average adult human male would be about that wouldn't they and how many men would take 8 capsules a day?? Although I could be wrong on all accounts here.

I've been using Wagners MSM Joint Powder for the last 3 years for the dogs. It contains glucosamine and chondrointin. There was an obvious improvement in my old rescue Rottie who had bad arthritis and really bad hips.

Where do you buy it from? Dora is starting to suffer more from her arthritis lately and I'd like to do whatever I can for her.

I've been using Wagners MSM Joint Powder for the last 3 years for the dogs. It contains glucosamine and chondrointin. There was an obvious improvement in my old rescue Rottie who had bad arthritis and really bad hips.

Where do you buy it from? Dora is starting to suffer more from her arthritis lately and I'd like to do whatever I can for her.

I buy it on line usually from Pulse pharmacy. I don't think all pharmacies stock Wagner products but many do. Make sure you get the one that is MSM Joint Powder because there is another one called Joint Powder and I don't think it works as well. I bought the ordinary Joint Powder by accident once but I think they do better with the MSM ingredient.

thank you so much for posting this article megan- i have a giant breed and was considering the use of fish oil tablets.

thankyou

Fish oil capsules are normally ok for dogs. I give both large and small breed Wild Salmon oil and have been giving them these for many years. I also give them natural vitamin E capsules. I alternate with Salmon oil one night and Vit E the next. They also have COQ10 capsules every night. I still give my Pancreatitis girl these oil capsules and she has no problems with them.

After having my Cavalier girl on Hills i/d food, both canned and dry for the last few weeks since her Pancreatitis attack I decided I would slowly re-introduce BARF to her diet. Yesterday I bought a carton of Billinghurst BARF in the kangaroo variety because it has only a 3% fat content. Tried this out last night with one heaped teaspoon added to her meal. It was a disaster! She was uncomfortable all night and is just now starting to feel ok. I added in some Enzyplex too but it didn't help.

It looks as though she has chronic Pancreatitis. I was hoping it was only one acute episode. It looks like she'll have to stay on the Hills i/d food. ARGhhh!

I've found kangaroo meat doesn't agree with some dogs. I tried it with my elderly Rotty girl and she developed instestinal problems the next day that took me weeks to get rid of. It was human grade roo from the butcher. I'm reluctant to try my other Cavalier on the Roo BARF just in case it's too rich for him. He's having Rabbit BARF but usually has lamb. The Lamb seems to be always out of stock. No probs with the rabbit.

If anyone feeds their dog BARF Kangaroo you are welcome to the carton I bought yesterday. Don't want any money for it but since it's frozen/fresh food it will need to be picked up from Mt. Waverley, Vic. If anyone wants it shoot me a pm.

Same with the Paw Paw and mint supplement for Pancreatitis. I have a full bottle, minus 1 tablet and if someone with a Pancreatitis dog can use the tablets you are welcome to them. Pick up also please. I can't get to a post office until after Christmas.