Retrieving & Field Training Talk

Does anyone know where I can get relatively inexpensive firehose dummies? They appear to be quite expensive and then the postage on top of it from overseas pretty much rules it out!

Not sure if there are any WA people who come here that much but if anyone is reading this and wants to go in on a group order for some retrieving supplies, let me know - we might be able to get away with reduced postage if we share it :)

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know where I can get relatively inexpensive firehose dummies? They appear to be quite expensive and then the postage on top of it from overseas pretty much rules it out!

Not sure if there are any WA people who come here that much but if anyone is reading this and wants to go in on a group order for some retrieving supplies, let me know - we might be able to get away with reduced postage if we share it :)

I've PM'd you RS. :)

New puppies to train with, how exciting for you both TSD and CK! I can't wait for my next puppy, it's been a long time since I've had my own puppy! Still got a bit longer to wait, though :)

Yay for your boys dummy holds, FHRP! I love when the lightbulb goes off. Let us know if it works for weave training laugh.gif

You did have a puppy to play with though! What would you get RS :provoke:

Started shaping the retrieve with Ginny tonight. Tried a few weeks ago and she was all confused - offering different behaviours and we weren't having fun so I put it to one side for a bit. Was a good idea as tonight she did so much better. She's killing walking singles - buckets of drive and confidence so have started waiting until she offers steadiness before releasing her. It's a really different journey from Em - my experience aside - their strengths and weaknesses are quite different. Really keeps me on my toes.

Have replied, thanks :)

Yeah but the puppies I have had access to are not gundogs :p I had all the dogs at the oval the other week and the two dogs that came immediately to the whistle were actually the schnauzers laugh.gif Pippa would probably make a pretty good gundog, she retrieves the smaller dummies, the birds just wouldn't fit in her mouth laugh.gif

The next dog will most likely be another labrador. I do have my eye on a couple of other breeds for "one day", but what can I say? I'm a lab girl!! heart.gif

Have replied, thanks :)

Yeah but the puppies I have had access to are not gundogs :p I had all the dogs at the oval the other week and the two dogs that came immediately to the whistle were actually the schnauzers laugh.gif Pippa would probably make a pretty good gundog, she retrieves the smaller dummies, the birds just wouldn't fit in her mouth laugh.gif

The next dog will most likely be another labrador. I do have my eye on a couple of other breeds for "one day", but what can I say? I'm a lab girl!! heart.gif

Maybe it is easier to stick to one breed too. We did seriously consider springers as there are some nice working ones about. But since we had actual puppies born at our place, resisting keeping one proved too hard!

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone :)

So I've been working on building confidence in my toller which has worked really well thanks to TSD's advice :) my new problem is that now he is massively keen that he doesn't wait to be sent, he breaks as soon as the bumper hits the ground. I don't want to ruin his confidence cause that is awesome now but need to fix this. How is steadiness usually taught?

I noticed that Victoria did a beginners training day last year, do they do one every year?

Hey everyone :)

So I've been working on building confidence in my toller which has worked really well thanks to TSD's advice :) my new problem is that now he is massively keen that he doesn't wait to be sent, he breaks as soon as the bumper hits the ground. I don't want to ruin his confidence cause that is awesome now but need to fix this. How is steadiness usually taught?

I noticed that Victoria did a beginners training day last year, do they do one every year?

Hi Eyolf

Great to hear! The VGC are running a follow up to the beginners day in November - we didn't think it fair to always run beginners days and nothing in between for dogs who are almost ready or are just beginning to trial.

I do a lot of impulse control AWAY from retrieving...crate games, sitting to go through the door, sit to tug etc etc. My 6 month old is pretty good at this and it is starting to translate to retrieving. You can then put a very light tab on the collar and release the dog as soon as they demonstrate steadiness. Make sure you have someone who will immediately pick up the dummy and NOT allow the dog to pick it up if they break.

Thanks, that's fair enough I will watch for the next time they run a beginners one.

I will try some impulse control games then, I didn't think of that.

Thank you ????

I'm really starting to enjoy retrieving now that's it's all starting to come together.

Thanks, that's fair enough I will watch for the next time they run a beginners one.

Thank you ????

I'm really starting to enjoy retrieving now that's it's all starting to come together.

You better get used to the impulse control games because you are going to need them for the rest of your tollers life rofl1.gif

And just when you think you have it sussed, you enter a trial, and they make it look like you have never played a single IC game in your life eek1.gif

Great to hear that you are enjoying the training thumbsup1.gif

Thank you ????

You better get used to the impulse control games because you are going to need them for the rest of your tollers life rofl1.gif

And just when you think you have it sussed, you enter a trial, and they make it look like you have never played a single IC game in your life eek1.gif

Great to hear that you are enjoying the training thumbsup1.gif

Lol I can imagine that happening ???? he keeps me on my toes.

At least his keen haha impulse control we will have to work on especially around the water retrieves!

Does anyone train by themselves?

I am finding it hard to throw the dummies by myself. At the moment I put her in a stay and walk about 80m then throw the dummy so the total distance is around 90m which should be ok for RATG novice. The whole process takes a long time (if I run she breaks) and I feel it doesn't really simulate trial conditions. We can only practice single and double marks this way (I only have 2 dummies anyway) but it seems impossible to practice a double rise this way. I have tried hiding a dummy behind a tree but I think she sees me do it. We have to practice at a park or oval as I only have a small yard so I cant really have her out of sight when I do try

Hide them.

I'm not sure it would be worth getting a dummy thrower as they seem quite expensive .

I am finding it hard to throw the dummies by myself. At the moment I put her in a stay and walk about 80m then throw the dummy so the total distance is around 90m which should be ok for RATG novice. The whole process takes a long time (if I run she breaks) and I feel it doesn't really simulate trial conditions. We can only practice single and double marks this way (I only have 2 dummies anyway) but it seems impossible to practice a double rise this way. I have tried hiding a dummy behind a tree but I think she sees me do it. We have to practice at a park or oval as I only have a small yard so I cant really have her out of sight when I do try

Hide them.

I'm not sure it would be worth getting a dummy thrower as they seem quite expensive .

I train mostly on my own, but when I can find someone I get them to throw the dummies for me. I do it the same way you do when I'm on my own, we are only doing short retrieves at the moment so I'm not finding it to bad. I suppose we might have that issue once we start doing longer and harder retrieves, and then I might consider getting a dummies thrower.

Hide them.

Most of us train on our own and do a similar thing aussielover. Yes, I have a Bumper Boy but it's not really suited to a day out at the local oval! I would work on teaching your dog that sit means sit until you say otherwise - I can run and do star jumps and I expect my dogs to hold position. It's actually really good training for the excitement of the trial environment. The other thing on my To Do list is to teach Em to run back to a target mat so I don't have to walk so far!

With regards to a double rise, once you are ready to test understanding you can use a black or orange dummy (or wrap your white dummies up) or you can use slightly heavier cover or you can drive to your training ground, leave your dog in the car and set up your run.

I hope that helps :)

ETA: If you use a hand held dummy thrower please do not do it from your dog's side as it only teaches them to look at YOU rather than out in front. You will still need to do a lot of walking.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

I do gundog training with my weim, in a group and private training. Since we do multiple retrieves i cant train on my own all the time. This year i want able to do hunting tests but next season i Will!

She is now 6,5 weeks pregnant so no training till the pups are gone;)

Good luck with puppies!

I train triples all the time and I just make it about the concepts. Practising marking or lining or handling is done separately eg place known blind pile, walk out with dog to say 100-150m, leave dog in sit, walk out, throw double mark either side of blind, walk back to dog, pick up blind then marks or vice versa.

You need a gun licence to do retrieving trials don't you?

Not for NSW trials, you're covered by the club :)

Are both aussielover and Eyolf are in the ACT, maybe you could throw dummies for each other?

I have a remote thrower, which doesn't use a charge so isn't noisy. It's the type of thrower used at RATG's & retrieving trials here, although usually without the remote part. You can only load one dummy/pigeon at a time though unlike a bumper boy which can have multiple dummies. Unfortunately I've misplaced the remote to my thrower :cry:

Edited by FHRP