Retrieving & Field Training Talk

Hi All I have just stumbled across this thread and I love it, thanks :laugh:

Sounds like 'Em' had a lovely afternoon of training, I hope you both continue to have lots of fun, it is a great sport.

RV, how exciting a LM! I have always admired them but the long coat is too much so I have opted for the shortcoated one. Road kill is probably the easiest way to fill your freezer providing it hasnt got too much damage done to it. Unless you know anyone to hunts on a regular basis. Rabbit skinned dummies are lots of fun.

We are still only very new to retreiving but having a ball. We have just finished our 2nd season of trialling and after occassionally my boy forgetting that he has a problem we have finally passed Novice!!! Now the restricted training starts. We are practising a bit of handling work, I seem to have more control over him in the water than on land at the moment a little frustrating. I really need to do some blind work but have a major paranoia with snakes and very uncomfortable in the long grass. Cant wait until winter. Mind you I have ventured out a little more this week as I have a new toy to play with. I have just received my new 'bumper boy' it is so exciting, hopefully will have a little more time on the weekend to start training doubles, maybe early in the morning when all the snakes are sleeping. (I tell myself that, everyone needs to sleep at some point during the day).

Ruby star Im not much help in explaining backs and overs Im stilll trying to figure them out. (Ill try) in Restricted and All Age you will be given blinds and need to direct your dog to where the bird is, (you will know where is is but the dog wont see it fall) You line your dog up straight toward where the bird is then send it to 'find' the bird. If your dog starts heading the wrong way you can stop it (one toot on the whistle and you dog should stop or sit facing you) you can give your dog an over (Overs are directing your dog left or right, toward where the bird is) If they start hunting for the bird a little short of where it actually is you can stop them and give them a back, (meaning straight behind in a straight line) you can even fine tune it with a left or right hand signal meaning a little this way or that). It seems that the straighter lines run by your dog get them there quicker therefore less handling and less points removed from your score. Im sure LL and FHRP can fill in all the bits I missed.

looking forward to this thread!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

RV, how exciting a LM! I have always admired them but the long coat is too much so I have opted for the shortcoated one. Road kill is probably the easiest way to fill your freezer providing it hasnt got too much damage done to it. Unless you know anyone to hunts on a regular basis. Rabbit skinned dummies are lots of fun.

We are still only very new to retreiving but having a ball. We have just finished our 2nd season of trialling and after occassionally my boy forgetting that he has a problem we have finally passed Novice!!! Now the restricted training starts. We are practising a bit of handling work, I seem to have more control over him in the water than on land at the moment a little frustrating. I really need to do some blind work but have a major paranoia with snakes and very uncomfortable in the long grass. Cant wait until winter. Mind you I have ventured out a little more this week as I have a new toy to play with. I have just received my new 'bumper boy' it is so exciting, hopefully will have a little more time on the weekend to start training doubles, maybe early in the morning when all the snakes are sleeping. (I tell myself that, everyone needs to sleep at some point during the day).

I like hairy dogs :D Plus they are prettier in the show ring ;)

Where did you get your bumper boy from? It sounds like you are having a really good time with your boy, I can't wait to have the chance again. :)

rubyroo, thanks so much for the description. Now that you describe it, it does ring a bell what they are :laugh: But I guess I am just stuck now on how to correctly train it. A trialler told me about the baseball game I think it was called? to help teach direction and backs. I should give it a go and hope I don't do it too wrong!!

Love your name by the way, that is my Ruby's nickname :laugh:

Can anyone on here tell me where the best place to buy dummies from??

Looked at the place in the GSP forum but the postage is more than the dummies cost. Is there anywhere in Australia that they can be sourced from? Plus what is the best colour and size for trialling or doesnt it matter?

Sorry about all the questions but am very new to retrieving training. :(

Looked at the place in the GSP forum but the postage is more than the dummies cost. Is there anywhere in Australia that they can be sourced from? Plus what is the best colour and size for trialling or doesnt it matter?

Sorry about all the questions but am very new to retrieving training. :(

kathq - Lablover is going to give me the website and I will post it up here. I was hoping a few newbies would like to share shipping costs ;)

Sorry about all the questions but am very new to retrieving training. :thumbsup:

Hi Kath

the ones on the GSP forum seem to be the cheapest from overseas, I think they work out at around $15 each for3" and $10-12 for the 2". The quality is brilliant. The few I have seen here is Aus are alot softer and doesnt suit my dog who likes to chew things they too are around $15 each. Innotek in QLD now stock dummies, a little closer for you but dummies look more expensive here than the USA. I have a few of the large ones of this brand and way too squishy.

http://innotek.com.au/SportDog-Home/Training_2

I think the smaller 2" ones are harder. Dogs can see the B&W ones in most weather conditions, good allrounder, and Orange they just cant see, but with all the scent discrim work you have done it shouldnt be a problem!!. Definately worth while a few of you getting an order together. Happy hunting!

Those Innotek ones have valves in them which is getting a little high tech for me. :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/AVERY-GREENHEAD-GEAR-H...=item230b7bcd20

Like I said this website has some good dummies but the shipping is dearer than the goods and if you put in that you want to buy two lots (thinking a couple of us could go together to reduce postage) they just double the postage

Those Innotek ones have valves in them which is getting a little high tech for me. :laugh:

http://cgi.ebay.com/AVERY-GREENHEAD-GEAR-H...=item230b7bcd20

Like I said this website has some good dummies but the shipping is dearer than the goods and if you put in that you want to buy two lots (thinking a couple of us could go together to reduce postage) they just double the postage

I totally understand what you are saying, shipping is ridiculous, ;) it seems crazy that it is cheaper than buying them here. :p

Did a few dummy throws on the large training oval at our K9 grounds tonight and had someone else throw the dummies from afar. Ruby is still eager and happy to bring them back and present nicely, so I am chuffed! We seemed to go backwards previously due to lack of training where she would bring them back but not present nicely or spit them at me. What I got tonight were simple retrieves but I'm just so happy with how her attitude is getting better :) I also tried throwing one myself, turning her away from it, throwing another, turning her back towards the first one, sending her for that, then sending for the second on her return. As she took off for the first she glanced at the second on her way out but made the right decision to keep going to the one I directed her to. Gonna make sure I keep training this!! :)

Edited by RubyStar

In GSPs in Germany, they have a 'sharpness' test, which requires the dogs to 'dispatch' of vermin such as foxes. It is a separate test to the field testing that they do over there though I think it used to actually be a requirement for a FT CH at one point?? I imagine that it is similar testing they are doing with the LMs too.

Anyway, the best place to source one would be via farmers - if you know anyone in Victoria, I know they were offering bounties on foxes in rural Victoria a while back - so maybe that is still in place and someone in rural Victoria might be able to help you out?

:) If/when I get my LM once it is old enough I would like to do some work with one. In Germany to part of the ability test is that a LM must retrieve a fox over a 1m high fence. I don't know the full significance yet but I am sure I will when I learn German or get a better translator engine.

I am having an issue with my youngster ( 11 months GSP) - with delievery to hand/front.

Basically, if I give him a land retrieve, he likes to hoon around with the dummy and does not like coming in from the front, to give it to me.

To counter act this, I've started water retrieves with him, so that he HAS to come in front of me, which is working fine ( yesterday I was actually able to get him to come about 5 metres away from the waters edge and deliver to me - which I was chuffed about). But I am not sure what to do with the land retrieves?

I've started separate hold training and one of his biggest problems is that he hasn't yet made the connection that he can actually SIT whilst holding something :laugh: He is quite happy to walk around and carry things but ask him to sit and he spits it out big time - so right now, I am just focussing on the hold whilst/standing and walking and at least getting him to give it into my hand like that. I did get a 2 second 'sit and hold' yesterday but that was after I'd told him to sit and gave it to him. I am sure with time he will make the connection that he can do 2 things at once (boys!)

I guess the thing with the delievery to front with land retrieves is to have a barrier of some kind, but this just doesn't seem to work - he gets really put off by it. Any other suggestions out there?

Is this a new thing that could be associated with adolescence?

I'm not experienced in retrieving by any stretch of the imagination BUT I have successfully taught my Dalmatian to retrieve enthusiastically for obedience by breaking it down into discrete parts and then back chaining the whole exercise. If you google Shirly Chong retrieve that might give you a few ideas as well. It's hard with the gundogs as they are very highly motivated to retrieve and it's easy to forget to break it down and add value to the other parts of the exercise. Perhaps using a happy bumper (ie the lure of another retrieve) would help too??? What about a long line to give you some control and perhaps run away from the dog to build momentum and motivation - I would be handling the hooning around and delivery as two separate issues (at least!!!) Build lots of value for yourself too as the source of all things wonderful. Hope you can get something out of my random thoughts!

Hi guys, I picked up a couple of "dummies" from Homebase! They aren't top quality, but they aren't bad! They could easily be used against a light background for marks. The tennis ball at the end is easily removed. So keep an eye out at some the the cheapie stores, I've sourced the soft puppy dummies from the cheap stores too.

5270367620_e177dc47d9_z.jpg

Great picture, FHRP! What good boys to pose with their new fancy dummies :rofl:

To add to what TSD said for gspmadhouse, I have been working on Ruby's motivation to come back to me after the exciting retrieve. I've been calling her name and running away from her to entice her to come back, and throwing a fun dummy instead of asking her to present, and then working on the holding/presents separately. She would always come back, but just not as fast as her shooting out and her presents were lacking confidence, even though she knows an obedience dumbell present. Haven't been doing this long and her attitude has increased noticeably already.

Whenever I get home from work in the afternoon she has to run and find me a "present" to give to me. Her new thing is giving me her Kong. There are 2 in the backyard (other one for Millie) so yesterday when she brought me her Kong, I set her up and sent her for the second one out on the lawn. I was so chuffed she knew exactly what I was asking for and is starting to take direction a bit better :rofl: She ran straight out to the lawn, picked the Kong up, and returned with a nice present :rofl: Having quite a bit of fun with this, now :rofl:

I have loved reading through this thread! I used to be involved in Retrieving (Hi LL, pleased to read you are on way to recovery, must catch up next time I am down) I trialled originally a Golden Retriever many moons ago....and a wonderful Lab boy and tried to convince my 2nd Lab boy that Retrieving was fun but he really was not didn't seem to enjoy it..........then other stuff got in the way and now I am almost gundogless for the 1st time in well over 25 yrs.

I do have 2 wonderfull Whippets but would really love just one more Labbie in my lifetime!

Good luck to you all, enjoy yourselves and your dogs, it really is a wonderful sport/pastime lifestyle!

Annie

Welcome Annie!

RS - good to see you are both motivated to train ;)

Puppy training update - 17 weeks :thumbsup:

I met up with Lablover on Friday with young Emmy. She was still a bit overwhelmed by LL's dogs but bounced back much more quickly. The council were mowing 'our' oval so we went on to the park with water first. Em was pretty excited and she danced around on the end of the lead, which was great to see. She watched the other dogs swim and retrieve bumpers with fascination. Then LL tied up her dogs and I waded into a reasonably shallow pond with Em in tow. Lots of silly dancing from me, a squeaky toy and some food and Emmy was soon swimming across the pond off lead. Then it was back on lead for a rest and to watch the other dogs train again. She was really focussed on the bumpers so LL threw a couple for her in short cover, varying distance and encouraging her as necessary. We had a ball! We went back to the oval and were going to try Em on some walking singles but she was tired from all the excitement so we pulled the pin pretty quickly and did some drills with the other dogs instead. A fun afternoon had by all!

Edited by The Spotted Devil

Another great day with LL today. Em was pretty excited at the park and did a few laps chasing little birds before we got her focussed :mad She did quite well, I thought, despite being a bit distracted and we stopped when she seemed to get tired. Did some blinds and marks with LL's dogs and some walking singles with her least experienced girl which was a chance for me to get my throwing arm "in" (threw some shockers on Friday :rofl:) Off to the second park and LL did blinds over the lake with her lot whilst I played with Em in the shallow water - bit of swimming and some happy bumpers on land. A couple of walking singles to finish off the day - she absolutely aced these - I think something clicked in her brain about how this game works so we packed up early, finishing on a high.

LL gave me a website for dummies....so much cheaper than the Oz site posted but I'm yet to check out shipping. Will do some sums when I have time.

Happy retrieving everyone :rolleyes:

Sounds like another fun day!

Can you explain what walking singles are? I am sure I will know the drill but I can never remember the names of things, have a terrible memory for the actual names people call things.

I bet I win with the worst throwing arm ever - was a very long time ago and I managed to throw right into the middle of the densest blackberry bush I'd ever seen. I was pretty embarassed :mad

. A couple of walking singles to finish off the day - she absolutely aced these - I think something clicked in her brain about how this game works so we packed up early, finishing on a high.

LL gave me a website for dummies....so much cheaper than the Oz site posted but I'm yet to check out shipping. Will do some sums when I have time.

Happy retrieving everyone :rolleyes: