Retrieving & Field Training Talk

You need a gun licence to do retrieving trials don't you?

Not for NSW trials, you're covered by the club :)

Are both aussielover and Eyolf are in the ACT, maybe you could throw dummies for each other?

I have a remote thrower, which doesn't use a charge so isn't noisy. It's the type of thrower used at RATG's & retrieving trials here, although usually without the remote part. You can only load one dummy/pigeon at a time though unlike a bumper boy which can have multiple dummies. Unfortunately I've misplaced the remote to my thrower :cry:

Yep I'm in Canberra not sure where aussielover is.

That thrower sounds good, might have to look for one of them!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i live in the netherlands so its different here. I dont know how your retrieving trials are..

And i also do triple retrieves and yes with blinds its off course easier and you can do it yourself but i also want to do like a marking on sound so i need someone to shoot;) that is easier with the training and if i'm by myself i just do the Things i can prepare myself.

• 2 months later...

Is it important practicing with a proper thrower before doing a RATG trial? Also where do you get pigeons from?

Would be good to use a thrower - mainly because of the way it throws marks is different from hand throwing. And some dogs spook when they see them and a thrower hidden away. With regards to pigeons one of the easiest ways is to volunteer at a trial - you can grab a few in decent condition and will get to ask around about who to source them from.

Training update - Em is not getting a lot of work at the moment as I've torn my shoulder rotator cuff - very limited movement. Ginny is coming along beautifully - posting regular videos on FB - working on delivering to hand, single marks and lining. Nothing too complicated as she is pretty wild still - really concentrating on recalls, relationship building and agility foundation.

• 1 month later...

Hope your shoulder is getting better, TSD. Ginny sounds like great fun, too thumbsup1.gif

I've gotten back into the retrieving training this week. Ruby is really enjoying herself which is really great to see! :D Today we did a mark and blind then a double rise on land (not too long so she would be successful), then did some hand thrown doubles and 2 bird concepts in the water and practiced deliveries to hand before shaking smile.gif Relatively simple stuff still but she had a blast and even had some oomph in the old girl - she certainly can get going when there is something worth getting to thumbsup1.gif

Good on you RS! They don't forget the FUN!

Shoulder is well and truly frozen so not having much fun - Physio is like being tortured on the rack :laugh: - mentally exhausting having pain for this long but still managing to train with one arm. No trialling until I can get a left back happening. Even scratched from agility trials with migraines - yuck. Trying to look at the bright side and concentrate on foundations with Ginny Muppet. She's still crackers and boy can she move!!!! Did some super single marks yesterday - steady, nailed the mark, beautiful line and delivered to hand nicely. She will be a while maturing I expect. Exactly what I wanted so no complaints here :love:

Edited by The Spotted Devil

• 1 month later...

How's the shoulder and training coming along, TSD?

I'm super, super chuffed with Ruby! We entered our very first restricted trial on the weekend. Never thought I'd get the guts to do that! eek1.gif

We didn't get the first bird in novice embarrass.gif but she was such a good girl in restricted and brought back ALL her birds!! Woweeee biggrin.gif Exceeded my expectations for sure.

First run was a double rise. Couldn't see where the bird landed from where I stood, so had to pray on this one laugh.gifWhilst we got out on this run, she still found her 2 birds :)

Next up was a double mark, both across water. Fire first, leave, turn for second, send. The second landed further away than the first behind some dead trees and a bit of a hill so you couldn't see it once landed (nor the dog once there). After cheekily running the bank and umming and ahhing about the best place to enter the water, she went across to the area it landed. Had to hope and pray she wasn't messing about with it, but lo and behold, she appeared shortly after with the bird and back across she came. I cheerled the heck out of that! Picked up the second that was in the water, delivered, had a part-ay :D

Third run was a mark and blind. When I called her up from the hide she was determined to head in the direction I had shot in for the blind. Finally managed to turn her for the mark, she got that (it landed not very far away over a hill), then lined her up for the blind. We have only ever done blinds on an oval embarrass.gif and her confidence is not quite there with it yet. But blow me down! She was off in the right direction with confidence, overshot it so whistled her back, back she came and found it without too much fuss.

What a good girl!!! heart.gifheart.gifheart.gif

• 3 weeks later...