Adopted A Dog What Would You Do?

siks3

Fact is the choice for this dog is to be kept by OP or

surrendered to one of the 2 main animal pounds in SA, according to some posters legal beliefs.

This dog will not be claimed by the owners. Obviously.

Fact is not many dogs who go in those 2 places abandoned come out again. Not in this state.

Poor bloody dog.

It may not even be pregnant. Could be just fat belly with worms or something.

Everyone assumes an awful lot. May all be wrong.

Edited by Christina

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read the OPs other posts earlier AND between the lines AND all past posts made by said person...

Isnt this the same poster who when called on giving really bad 'legal' advice on this forum said he had studied Law for 2 years in the big house? Surely then he would know what the legal definition of a pet was and the correct procedure to follow when finding a dog - or atleast be able to look it up. Follow the correct procedure, people! How would you feel if that was your dog??? (or your car, or your entertainment system or your wedding ring)

Edited by raz

My feelings are, if you don't know the parents, cannot offer the people who are purchasing a health guarantee, then you shouldn't be bringing them into this world.

If it's good enough for the registered breeders , then it's good enough for anyone else contemplating a litter of any breed or cross to do so.

thats the one raz... :laugh: i was waiting for someone to pick that up! ;)

Read the OPs other posts earlier AND between the lines AND all past posts made by said person...

Isnt this the same poster who when called on giving really bad 'legal' advice on this forum said he had studied Law for 2 years in the big house? Surely then he would know what the legal definition of a pet was and the correct procedure to follow when finding a dog - or atleast be able to look it up. Follow the correct procedure, people! How would you feel if that was your dog??? (or your car, or your entertainment system or your wedding ring)

Might also note that in Adelaide the Animal Welfare League acts as 'the pound' for most areas so there is either the RSPCA or the Animal Welfare League when you are looking for animal refuges in the city. There is also one at Hahndorf but dont know too many details (such as a website).

A person has all the rights in the world to rehome a dog to whomever they wish and if the OP has the paperwork as proof that the dog was rehomed with him/her....THE LAW HAS NOT BEEN BROKEN. :laugh:

I must have missed the part where the owner has signed over paperwork to the OP. Where was that stated?

AWL takes on Council strays but only direct from the Council, they can not accept public found animals. A lost dog must go through the Council process first. In the case of lost animals always contact the RSPCA and AWL but handing them over needs to be done at the Council whosearea it was found in.

If the owner knows you have the dog then the primary concern is the bitches welfare, get her vet checked - aged, heartworm tested, vaccinated, checked for parasites and find out if she is in fact pregnant and how far along etc

Well I spoke to the mother and father of the girl that use to own the dog and I found out it's history.

It is inbred father daughter mating then this dog mated with it's father so I'm taking the dog to the pound it is to much of a hassle.

I would not want the pregnancy to go ahead and at the moment I simply cannot afford to get it desexed due to my other dog undergoing surgery and costing me nearly $2000

I would not let the pups go to a new home either.

It's just sad that people let things go this way.

This poor little thing hasn't had much luck so far.

Well I spoke to the mother and father of the girl that use to own the dog and I found out it's history.

It is inbred father daughter mating then this dog mated with it's father so I'm taking the dog to the pound it is to much of a hassle.

I would not want the pregnancy to go ahead and at the moment I simply cannot afford to get it desexed due to my other dog undergoing surgery and costing me nearly $2000

I would not let the pups go to a new home either.It's just sad that people let things go this way.

What do you mean by not letting the pups go to a new home ???

Very sad, if you cannot afford the desexing, why did you consider keeping the dog in the first place?

Poor little soul, I hope that she will find someone that will give her the love she deserves.

I would not let the pups go to a new home either.

It's just sad that people let things go this way.

Sound decision there siks3...

T.

This will not go down well with some here but if its as dire as you say, is timid etc and you're so concerned about the future of the pups then how about doing the decent thing and take it to the vet and have it put to sleep.

Sometimes that is not the worst thing for a dog.

Kaz there are no publicly known rescue groups/rehoming places in Adelaide outside the RSPCA and AWL (apart from GAP but that is breed specific). As explained by casowner there are no 'pounds' as appear elsewhere either. I have seen a internet based group that seemed to be a private rescue group a couple of months back but there are not the well known rescues that seem to be around in NSW.

Edited by rubiton

My main concern is that the dog has been line bred so badly even the pups are an interbreeding.

I have line bred in the past but only when both dogs are exceptional examples of the breed standard when I was breeding GSD.

I could not morally let them out to homes as the pups could end up with a world of problems and I'm not going to do that to anybody.

Also the dog could end up being more problems then it's worth coming form an unplanned line breeding.

I have been offered assistance from a person so thank you all that provided useful posts.