Adopted A Dog What Would You Do?

siks3

Well I spoke to the mother and father of the girl that use to own the dog and I found out it's history.

It is inbred father daughter mating then this dog mated with it's father so I'm taking the dog to the pound it is to much of a hassle.

I would not want the pregnancy to go ahead and at the moment I simply cannot afford to get it desexed due to my other dog undergoing surgery and costing me nearly $2000

I would not let the pups go to a new home either.

It's just sad that people let things go this way.

This poor little thing hasn't had much luck so far.

That's a good decision, especially if you can't afford all the things that go along with whelping and caring and homing puppies properly (which I'm presuming you can't, if you can't afford to desex her). Raising puppies is a whole lot more expensive than getting a dog desexed, even if she whelps naturally.

It is a pity her original owners didn't care for her better. :laugh:

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My main concern is that the dog has been line bred so badly even the pups are an interbreeding.

I have line bred in the past but only when both dogs are exceptional examples of the breed standard when I was breeding GSD.

I could not morally let them out to homes as the pups could end up with a world of problems and I'm not going to do that to anybody.

Also the dog could end up being more problems then it's worth coming form an unplanned line breeding.

I have been offered assistance from a person so thank you all that provided useful posts.

Just want to say, this dog in question and her pups are inbred, not line bred. They are not the same thing and if you have been a breeder like you said then I think you'd be aware of the difference.

My main concern is that the dog has been line bred so badly even the pups are an interbreeding.

I have line bred in the past but only when both dogs are exceptional examples of the breed standard when I was breeding GSD.

I could not morally let them out to homes as the pups could end up with a world of problems and I'm not going to do that to anybody.

Also the dog could end up being more problems then it's worth coming form an unplanned line breeding.

I have been offered assistance from a person so thank you all that provided useful posts.

Just want to say, this dog in question and her pups are inbred, not line bred. They are not the same thing and if you have been a breeder like you said then I think you'd be aware of the difference.

good point

This will not go down well with some here but if its as dire as you say, is timid etc and you're so concerned about the future of the pups then how about doing the decent thing and take it to the vet and have it put to sleep.

Sometimes that is not the worst thing for a dog.

Why put her down? I never got the impression the dog was so timid it was suffering. There are plenty of timid dogs around that lead happy healthy lives. She may be timid because she was abandoned, is pregnant, and is in a new home with strangers. I disagree that this dog should be put down.

As stated peviously, this dog does not belong to the OP so it would be against the law to PTS anyways.

This will not go down well with some here but if its as dire as you say, is timid etc and you're so concerned about the future of the pups then how about doing the decent thing and take it to the vet and have it put to sleep.

Why put her down? I never got the impression the dog was so timid it was suffering. There are plenty of timid dogs around that lead happy healthy lives. She may be timid because she was abandoned, is pregnant, and is in a new home with strangers. I disagree that this dog should be put down.

As stated peviously, this dog does not belong to the OP so it would be against the law to PTS anyways.

Danielle, no matter what we say it is all going to prove futile. To say that I am DISGUSTED with your comment Danois, is an understatement! What hide to suggest that the dog be put down! Obviously the dog is not that timid given that the OP was wanting to keep it BEFORE finding out that it was inbred, seems to me that that is the only reason that the OP has changed his mind. Danois...would you have suggested that the dog be destroyed if it were a purebred? I BET NOT !!!

Edited by Moselle

Danielle, no matter what we say it is all going to prove futile. To say that I am DISGUSTED with your comment Danois, is an understatement! What hide to suggest that the dog be put down! Obviously the dog is not that timid given that the OP was considering keep it BEFORE finding out that it was inbred, seems to me that that is the only reason that the OP has changed his mind. Danois...would you have suggested that the dog be destroyed if it were a purebred? I BET NOT !!!

If the old owners have been spoken to and have handed the bitch over to the op, then the choices are ( if the OP cannot afford the vet care and costs that go along with a litter or the desexing ) send the bitch to a pound, look for a private rescue willing to take her on or PTS.

There are worse fates in life for a dog than being PTS

Danielle, no matter what we say it is all going to prove futile. To say that I am DISGUSTED with your comment Danois, is an understatement! What hide to suggest that the dog be put down! Obviously the dog is not that timid given that the OP was wanting to keep it BEFORE finding out that it was inbred, seems to me that that is the only reason that the OP has changed his mind. Danois...would you have suggested that the dog be destroyed if it were a purebred? I BET NOT !!!

this is a forum where people give their views. who are you to be disgusted with what anyone says. keep you personal insults to yourself and stop your attacks on forum members when they dont agree with you

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

The one thing that I find totally exasperating is when people here with a firm opinion take it upon themselves to completely turn things around and literally make wild assumptions just to win a point, let's stick to the facts, shall we????

Oh dear.. :)

Moselle do you understand the difference between a "firm opinion" and the LAW?

You are missing the point Xavier. Do you understand that there is no law that forces people who no longer want to keep a dog to hand the dog over to the pound? A person has all the rights in the world to rehome a dog to whomever they wish and if the OP has the paperwork as proof that the dog was rehomed with him/her....THE LAW HAS NOT BEEN BROKEN. :o

Ummm, there is no paperwork of ownership, what are you talking about? The law has been broken because someone found something then decided to keep it, by law you are not able to do that.

"The dog was abandoned at a friends neighbors house. They had moved and the dog was left there for 3 days without food or shelter.

So I took her home..."

Just my opinion but if you are going to hand her over to the RSPCA or AWL as a private handover, which it will be if as you say that you own her that out of the two I would choose the RSPCA especially if she is timid and in whelp. If you rehome her privately I hope that you do so desexed as most people would allow the pups to be born for the "oh cute she will have puppies" factor and the cycle continues.

To define whether the Council accepts her (they do not take handovers) they will need to know the circumstances and if she was abandoned as you have taken her on as your own they may not be willing to get involved as she is not a stray. I would also strongly recommend that if you say you have the owners permission to keep her that you get something in writing to prove that

Edited by casowner

this is a forum where people give their views. who are you to be disgusted with what anyone says. keep you personal insults to yourself and stop your attacks on forum members when they dont agree with you

Oh of course, you YET AGAIN.....saying that I am disgusted is NOT a personal insult, it is merely an adjective to describe how I am feeling. AND IT IS well about time that you learn the meaning of practicing what you are preaching, you are hardly one to boast about being open to other people's opinion....

The one thing that I find totally exasperating is when people here with a firm opinion take it upon themselves to completely turn things around and literally make wild assumptions just to win a point, let's stick to the facts, shall we????

You are missing the point Xavier. Do you understand that there is no law that forces people who no longer want to keep a dog to hand the dog over to the pound? A person has all the rights in the world to rehome a dog to whomever they wish and if the OP has the paperwork as proof that the dog was rehomed with him/her....THE LAW HAS NOT BEEN BROKEN. :o

Ummm, there is no paperwork of ownership, what are you talking about? The law has been broken because someone found something then decided to keep it, by law you are not able to do that.

"The dog was abandoned at a friends neighbors house. They had moved and the dog was left there for 3 days without food or shelter.

So I took her home..."

AND NOW you....don't just cut and paste whatever suits you....why don't you quote the bits where I constantly emphasised that the OP should approach the former owner and ask for her to sign over ownership of the dog!

I dont understand why the OP should hand in the dog to the pound if the old owners have definatley abandoned the dog. If they took the other three dogs its a bit strange that they would leave this dog if they were wanting to keep it. Maybe leave a note at the house saying where the dog is with your details.

As another poster said not all dogs that go to the pound pass the temp and health test to be adopted out again, especially if this dog is timid. It would just stress the dog out being moved to a pound environment as well if the old owners really dont want her. It is hard without all the details, but if it is a true abandonment wouldnt that be them giving up ownership anyway?

If a kitten was dumped out of a car does that mean if you want to adopt it you have to take it to the pound to then wait and adopt it back?

BTW i would desex her.

I think Danois had a good point.

Nervy, timid dogs are very hard to rehome. Who wants a dog with a temperament fault?

It is always kinder for a dog to be euthanised while it is relatively calm, with somebody it knows, not to be put in a noisy scary environment and killed a week later by a scary stranger.

Now it's my turn to get angry and have a little opinion, ok?

I am tired of hearing from know-it-alls that scream blue murder whenever somebody mentions putting to sleep an unwanted dog with temperament problems.

Your opinions show how little you understand about the overpopulation we have in this country. It is insulting and nasty to the people that are trying to solve the problem. It is counter-productive to people that are working hard to raise the profile of rescue dogs.

People like you are a very big problem. Refusing to acknowledge that people buying a pet dog, do deserve a really good one. Making it harder for good dogs to get into homes by insisting that faulty ones get priority.

Either take the dog yourself or just shut up and stop pretending you care!

So I took her home..."

AND NOW you....don't just cut and paste whatever suits you....why don't you quote the bits where I constantly emphasised that the OP should approach the former owner and ask for her to sign over ownership of the dog!

I was asking about this bit because it seems a bit random and I have no idea what you are talking about in the context of this thread. I think I'll back away slowly now and careful not to make eye contact :)

melt..have you read this? from siks3

Well I spoke to the mother and father of the girl that use to own the dog and I found out it's history.

It is inbred father daughter mating then this dog mated with it's father so I'm taking the dog to the pound it is to much of a hassle.

I would not want the pregnancy to go ahead and at the moment I simply cannot afford to get it desexed due to my other dog undergoing surgery and costing me nearly $2000

I would not let the pups go to a new home either.

It's just sad that people let things go this way.

This poor little thing hasn't had much luck so far.

So I took her home..."

I was asking about this bit because it seems a bit random and I have no idea what you are talking about in the context of this thread. I think I'll back away slowly now and careful not to make eye contact :)

:)

Nervy, timid dogs are very hard to rehome. Who wants a dog with a temperament fault?

It is always kinder for a dog to be euthanised while it is relatively calm, with somebody it knows, not to be put in a noisy scary environment and killed a week later by a scary stranger.

I am tired of hearing from know-it-alls that scream blue murder whenever somebody mentions putting to sleep an unwanted dog with temperament problems.

Your opinions show how little you understand about the overpopulation we have in this country. It is insulting and nasty to the people that are trying to solve the problem. It is counter-productive to people that are working hard to raise the profile of rescue dogs.

People like you are a very big problem. Refusing to acknowledge that people buying a pet dog, do deserve a really good one. Making it harder for good dogs to get into homes by insisting that faulty ones get priority.

i totally agree, why do people think all dogs require saving when rehoming some will put children at risk....

You might find the book 'Redemption: The Myth of Pet Overpopulation and the No Kill Revolution in America' by Nathan Winograd really interesting.

no book will ever convince me that all dogs should be saved