Adopted A Dog What Would You Do?

siks3

desex her if you can, if not cull the pups at birth to only 2 or 3, then surrender those pups when old enough to a good rescue.

Desexing may be good in early stages but I dont know about "culling"puppies when they are born unless they have some terrible defects and a vet does it!

This is cruel.

If you care for animals and it sound like you do then dont cull at birth unless advised by a vet for medical reasons. Good luck with it all.

Not at all cruel. You leave 2 or 3 pups for the Mum's sake and rescue isn't burdened with even more unwanted animals.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does one "cull" a newborn puppy? It makes sense to leave 2 or 3 but if a vet isn't the one culling, how does a normal person do this? It gives me shivers that word!

it is not something I would put up on a public forum

You'd take it to the vet to PTS so as not to break any laws.

How does one "cull" a newborn puppy? It makes sense to leave 2 or 3 but if a vet isn't the one culling, how does a normal person do this? It gives me shivers that word!

it is not something I would put up on a public forum

You'd take it to the vet to PTS so as not to break any laws.

Good! I'd hope thats the way it would be done! :cheer:

desex her if you can, if not cull the pups at birth to only 2 or 3, then surrender those pups when old enough to a good rescue.

Desexing may be good in early stages but I dont know about "culling"puppies when they are born unless they have some terrible defects and a vet does it!

This is cruel. If they are born then they are here and need attending to humanly and with care like any puppy regardless of breed or pedigree. I think this culling would be a terrible choice. I realise that the pups are unknown etc health wise but how many adopted dogs have long happy lives... a lot.

If it has happened and is too late to desex then please care for these pups as anyone would with any litter and sell them to carefully selected homes for the price of the vaccinations, microchips and food.

Its a lot of work but Im sure you will find great homes for these pups and have your girl desexed as soon as you can after she has had the puppies and they are weaned.

I had an accidental breeding that I recieved some flack from on the forum and I do understood some of the reasoning for this, however there are some very very extreme comments on here from some people who are supposed to be animal lovers .

If you care for animals and it sound like you do then dont cull at birth unless advised by a vet for medical reasons. Good luck with it all.

The choice to let an unwanted pregnancy happen means that nice well temperaments dogs in the pound will loose their lives because someone was over emotional about not aborting a pregnancy that should never have been.

would you have suggested that the dog be destroyed if it were a purebred? I BET NOT !!!

What a bizare comment.

Danois doesn't care if the dog is purebred, pedigree or Heinz variety.

You make rather odd statements, I thought you were a well educated person or am I mistaking you with someone else?

would you have suggested that the dog be destroyed if it were a purebred? I BET NOT !!!

What a bizare comment.

Danois doesn't care if the dog is purebred, pedigree or Heinz variety.

You make rather odd statements, I thought you were a well educated person or am I mistaking you with someone else?

I missed that comment and it is odd considering how very inbred the litter is.

I think Danois had a good point.

Nervy, timid dogs are very hard to rehome. Who wants a dog with a temperament fault?

It is always kinder for a dog to be euthanised while it is relatively calm, with somebody it knows, not to be put in a noisy scary environment and killed a week later by a scary stranger.

Now it's my turn to get angry and have a little opinion, ok?

I am tired of hearing from know-it-alls that scream blue murder whenever somebody mentions putting to sleep an unwanted dog with temperament problems.

Your opinions show how little you understand about the overpopulation we have in this country. It is insulting and nasty to the people that are trying to solve the problem. It is counter-productive to people that are working hard to raise the profile of rescue dogs.

People like you are a very big problem. Refusing to acknowledge that people buying a pet dog, do deserve a really good one. Making it harder for good dogs to get into homes by insisting that faulty ones get priority.

Either take the dog yourself or just shut up and stop pretending you care!

Here here! I wonder if people who don't want to put down nervy dogs have ever raised one? I have one and as much as I love her and she has bought me joy, she has bought me a world of heartache too.

It is more compasionate to PTS at a vet than to leave a dog shivering in a pound for a week, and then be put down bya stranger.

I have adopted a little dog that I just found out is pregnant.

What would you do with the pups.

I know how everybody is anti back yard breeder but should I give the dogs away to good homes or dispose of them when they are born.

I want to know what people think.

The dog was abandoned at a friends neighbors house. They had moved and the dog was left there for 3 days without food or shelter.

So I took her home and she is a sweet little dog and my akita likes her a lot and they get along well.

She is a very timid little dog.

I am going to let her have the pups and find them good homes.

She is a min fox terrier X Chihuahua.

Well I spoke to the mother and father of the girl that use to own the dog and I found out it's history.

It is inbred father daughter mating then this dog mated with it's father so I'm taking the dog to the pound it is to much of a hassle.

I would not want the pregnancy to go ahead and at the moment I simply cannot afford to get it desexed due to my other dog undergoing surgery and costing me nearly $2000

I would not let the pups go to a new home either.

It's just sad that people let things go this way.

This poor little thing hasn't had much luck so far.

I'm confused. It seemed that you were prepared to take the dog and provide her with a good home and everything she needs (which of course would include desexing, microchipping, vaccinating, worming, etc and the costs associated). You were aware that she may be pregnant and were still prepared to keep her. The only thing that I can see that's changed your mind is that you've discovered she's inbred and now it's all too much of a hassle. So now she's going to the pound.

Just out of curiousity, are your Akita and Foxy desexed?

I have adopted a little dog that I just found out is pregnant.

What would you do with the pups.

I know how everybody is anti back yard breeder but should I give the dogs away to good homes or dispose of them when they are born.

I want to know what people think.

The dog was abandoned at a friends neighbors house. They had moved and the dog was left there for 3 days without food or shelter.

So I took her home and she is a sweet little dog and my akita likes her a lot and they get along well.

She is a very timid little dog.

I am going to let her have the pups and find them good homes.

She is a min fox terrier X Chihuahua.

Well I spoke to the mother and father of the girl that use to own the dog and I found out it's history.

It is inbred father daughter mating then this dog mated with it's father so I'm taking the dog to the pound it is to much of a hassle.

I would not want the pregnancy to go ahead and at the moment I simply cannot afford to get it desexed due to my other dog undergoing surgery and costing me nearly $2000

I would not let the pups go to a new home either.

It's just sad that people let things go this way.

This poor little thing hasn't had much luck so far.

I'm confused. It seemed that you were prepared to take the dog and provide her with a good home and everything she needs (which of course would include desexing, microchipping, vaccinating, worming, etc and the costs associated). You were aware that she may be pregnant and were still prepared to keep her. The only thing that I can see that's changed your mind is that you've discovered she's inbred and now it's all too much of a hassle. So now she's going to the pound.

Just out of curiousity, are your Akita and Foxy desexed?

Inbreeding if not done correctly can mean a lot of problems.

Desexing the dog would cost me more money then I can afford at this point in time.

I would not sell or even give away the pups because I cannot personally guarantee they are going to be healthy ( I do have some understanding and responsibilities in breeding as I have done it in the past).

When I first picked up the dog I did not realise it was pregnant.

There is an animal shelter here where I live that is helping us.

I hope this has answered some questions.

Hmm.. I live in SA and I dont think there is any law that says you MUST hand a dog over to the pound. We've found dogs that have been obviously abandoned (we live in the country) and although we always rang the local pound to say we had found the dog and ask if there were any that had been reported as lost matching the description and have them take a record of it, we opted not to hand the dogs over to the pound and the pound staff never asked that we did? We put up posters, did mail box drops, etc (our town is pretty small!) but in all cases the dogs owner was never found and we ended up rehabbing and rehoming them ourselves after a good try at trying to locate any previous owners they may have had. There is also no mandatory microchipping law here so I'm not sure how the old owner would go about 'signing over' this dog to a new owner..? If it's not registered and not chipped, there'd be nothing to hand over and nothing to even prove the dog was 'owned' in the first place.

Personally I'd abort the puppies and desex the bitch in the process given the circumstances.. I dont think rescue bitches should be allowed to give birth if it can be avoided, there's just no telling how the puppies will turn out.

"Any a person that finds a dog must contact the local council. It is an offence to keep a stray dog."

From the Department of Environment and Natural Resources South Australia, Companion Animal Act

Regardless of whether microchipped or not, regardless of how terrible the former owner is/was, regardless of the circumstances by which you took possession of the dog, the dog must be surrendered to the entity that your council uses to hold stray dogs.

Unless you have a piece of paperwork that states you are the legal owner of the animal. So Siks3 has come to the right conclusion.

"Any a person that finds a dog must contact the local council. It is an offence to keep a stray dog."

From the Department of Environment and Natural Resources South Australia, Companion Animal Act

Regardless of whether microchipped or not, regardless of how terrible the former owner is/was, regardless of the circumstances by which you took possession of the dog, the dog must be surrendered to the entity that your council uses to hold stray dogs.

Unless you have a piece of paperwork that states you are the legal owner of the animal. So Siks3 has come to the right conclusion.

Whoops.. we've certainly broken the law more than once then. :wave:

Glad to hear a shelter is helping.

Can the shelter help with subsidising desexing? The animal welfare league will often give free desexing vouchers for similar situations.

I have had many timid/nervous dogs through fostering and I find the majority of them settle and become great dogs particularly if they spend some time living with calm well adjusted dogs.

Edited by Kaz