Have I Committed The Ultimate Sin?

Cuchulain

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My lab sleeps on the bed - he has since he was a pup - it was not my choice, OH started him sleeping with us after he went to the loo in the middle of the night, he likes to cuddle with him and because it was winter he warmed the bed up real well :laugh:

I have had no dominance issues etc but my dog is very submissive.

we have 1, sometimes 2 on our bed each night. The only problem we have is that the 11 month old likes sleeping on his back between hubby and me, with his head wedged between our pillows. I normally roll over in the night and get a face full of puppy breath and feel a tail hitting the mattress where he feels it's now time to get up since I am clearly awake :laugh: My older dog (nearly 2) will hop off in the night to get on his own dog bed (beside ours) and only likes the feet end of the bed (unless he makes it to the pillows first and then he stays there just to p*ss the puppy off!) ;) :laugh:

So.... no..... nothing wrong with it!

Edited by Elsha_UK_AU

If you want Max on the bed, then it's between you and Max...

I bought a bigger bed to accommodate my pack - and got rid of the OH to make even more room (my definition of the divorce... *grin*)

Max could just have been having an off day... they happen... start worrying if he does scary things like vomiting or diarrhoea combined with down or lethargic, OK?

T.

I attended a behavioural seminar recently with some of the top Veterinary Behaviourists who said that there was no issue with allowing a dog onto the bed. In short their point was a healthy respect towards you from your dog is necessary, but an "I am Alpha and Im not afraid to beat you into submission" authoritative approach is not.

Hence things like allowing a dog to sleep on your bed is inconsequential - and you have far from ruined him. My dogs sleep on the bed when we want (we have 3 big dogs and a QS bed!) and they aren't ruined!

So many things could make your dog behave like that. He might have eaten something he shouldn't, he might have had a temporary cold or temperature, he might have been told off and got depressed, and the list goes ON and ON.

It is also my opinion that you should NOT be down on yourself for 'over-reacting'. I notice when my dogs are off colour and I watch them like a hawk, and give it 24 hours before Im at my Vet. You are better to pay attention and seek medical advice if you are not sure, than to say oh no Im a worry wart and find out a few days later he needs major surgery or even worse. If your breeder chose to behave like a turkey that is sad, but probably best for you not to seek their advice again and set yourself up with a different network of support for these times.

Mine are allowed on my bed but they have to ask first. My male golden retreiver is so good at this that he often starts on the bed in the spare room but comes into my bedroom in the middle of the night and wakes me up by nudging me to ask if he can hop up :o But i'm not having him hop up without permission, he can tend to be dominant.

Gosh my three dogs all sleep on my bed: greyhound, mixed breed and chi x all share with me. I have a king sized bed, bought so we would all have enough room to sleep comfortably. My chi x sleeps right beside me under the covers every night. She's at my side or my feet for the whole night. The other two swap places a few times, and the mixed breed also likes to sleep partially on the pillow beside mine and sometimes she will share my pillow. That gets interesting!

As for vaccinating your dog, I would have waited til he was better. :o

Agree with Espinay that it isn't where they sleep/sit but whether they will move when you approach/tell them too that matters. If they don't move aside for humans then their bed/furniture privileges should be revoked, otherwise all is good.

I'm not saying that people who are houseproud shouldn't keep dogs off beds and furniture if they want to, as long as there is a decent bed for the dog it's all good. Our guest bedroom is off limits for the dogs for example, and other rooms are off limits if humans are not in them at the time including our own bedroom. But calling it a training issue when it's a personal preference is a bit of rationalisation I think.

His flat demeanour could have been because he ate a rotten bird in the backyard and had a tummy upset, or had a bad experience, or any number of a zillion other things. If he's OK now then no harm done, tho' I agree with the others that vaccing a dog who may be sick isn't a good idea. I usually check for gum colour, temp and dehydration if they seem flat. If they are dehydrated and not drinking, have a temp, or have very pale gums, off to the vet. Otherwise I just observe for a while.

Was it only the sleeping on the bed thing that upset the breeder or were there other issues? Perhaps she felt that as the vet found nothing wrong the dog must have been "sooking" and felt you had encouraged him to be a "sook" by letting him sleep on the bed? If so, well, some people think that way but the main thing is that there is nothing out there obliging you to think that way.

Get him a pillow! lol My Missy loves a pillow! Just enjoy him :)

:o

I usually only have Ziva on the bed - Caber cannot be trusted not to mark overnight and he doesn't like his belly band so is crated, which he loves BTW. And Casey has been crated as she is still a puppy. However I had her on the bed a few weeks ago when I had a nap. She was very good :) so last night I let her sleep the whole night on the bed :) she picked a pillow for herself and was quite happy. Once she saw I was awake though, she pounced on my eyes. So no more on the bed until she is a bit calmer LOL.

Ziva is dangerous on the bed- she licks as soon as you wake up and it's not nice. However she is spoiled and will not sleep in the crate all night :embarrass:

She moves off the bed etc without a problem but in the crate she carries on at 3am without fail.

There's nothing wrong with you dog sleeping on your bed or your lounge. :) I have two GSD's and a Rottie and they are always on our two lounges and on our bed.

We don't allow them on the bed at night,( that's what the lounges are for) as there would be no room for us. :) Ours are mostly inside where they want to be. Ours are very spoiled and are part of the family, as it should be. :o

Thank you all so much for the positive response. I was seriously concerned I had screwed up in a major way.

Max is fine and was, in hindsight, probably just having an off day. I need to learn not to panic so quickly. He was thoroughly checked out before the vaccs. were done, even had a blood smear to check for biliary but it was clear. The vet felt that there was no reason not to do them, and I trust him implicitly. He has fielded my panicked phone calls with patience and a sense of humour. I am incredibly lucky to have such a wonderful vet. He understands that as a first time dog owner there are many things I don't know and doesn't mind me asking for advice and help. He has on more than one occasion said he would rather I asked or came in with Max than have something go wrong and I waited too long.

I will, in future, rather check in with you guys than have my head taken off at the shoulders. I hope you don't mind :cheer:

Both Buster and Quinn sleep on my bed almost every night, Quinn has done everynight since she was 8 weeks, her second night home was on the bed until she got more comfy with her crate, now she is 6 months old and crated when she's being restless at night so that she doesn't destroy things but generally she's happy to sleep and wakes me up early int eh morning to wrestle around and then go out and pee. I don't think it causes any adverse behaviour on its own.

Banjo used to always sleep next to me on the bed, often under the covers getting cuddled. When we brought Luda home that changed to the end of the bed. Lately since it has been hot he has been sleeping under the bed :-P He has never been a problem.

Since Luda was toilet trained she has slept on the bed with us.... She is a bit more trouble however.... whenever one of us gets up to go to the toilet/ get a drink she has stolen our spot and she does not help out when we try to move her- she goes all floppy and heavy haha

She gets under the covers and all is well until you wake up getting scratched and shoved because she has decided to have a bit of a leg stretch hahah

I don't think they are anything to do with dominance problems or anything like that- I think she is just very opportunistic- always looking for warmth.

I wouldn't have it any other way. Of course if they decide that don't want to sleep on the bed then I am ok with that.

The pack thing is true :-P I love the feeling of all 4 of us sleeping together. I love my pack :-P

Don't worry - you have not committed the ultimate sin - as long as your dog knows that you a strong and consistent Alpha he will 'tow the line'. My 3 Staffords know that when they are 'invitied' onto the bed it's fine, but they also know that when I command 'off', they immediately (even from a deep slumber) get off the bed.

Find your happy medium and do what's right for you :dancingelephant:

Like many have said... he is your dog, its your choice.

We let ours sleep on the bed, but only for a few hours. My partner gets up at 4:30am and our dog comes and sleeps on the bed with me until 7am when I get up :rolleyes: