Dehydrated Doggie

Stanlo

Hi I need some urgent advice.

My girl has been really sick today - I took her to the vet at lunchtime following a morning of vomiting. The Vet decided she was "boarderline" for admission but let me take her home with a rehydration solution.

When I got her home she developed diarrhea and was passing blood - to add to my problems she ran to a tiny spot right under my house (I can't reach that spot unless I knock my house down) she stayed there for FOUR hours and refused to move.

I have now eventually got her out but she still won't drink and is really weak.

Any ideas how I can get some of this solution into her? she will lick it off my fingers but won't drink from her bowl. I have tried dipping cotton wool in the solution and dripping that into/onto her mouth but she would not take it that way either.

a similar thing happened to my sisters dog up the cape and they got it onto iv fluids from the ambo's up there. it was the only way they could gt the fluids in in time.

I agree with everyone else, go to the vet asap

I am hoping she is improving now. If you are allowed to bring her home but still have to keep up her fluids I've found that the best way my whippet took them was for her to be lying flat on her side, even her head down and then gently syringe (without the needle) water or electrolytes into the corner of her mouth. She swallowed this way but if she was sitting up it just dribbled out of her mouth. Good luck, I hope she is much improved now.

She's home!

She still has a long way to go before she is fully recovered but is back on her feet now walking about, drinking (yay) and managing a few wags of the tail.

Thanks so much for your help and concern. I don't suppose we will ever find out what caused the problem, times like this I wish she could tell me.

Cassie spent the day at the vet on Friday on a drip because she had vomited a few times on Thursday and then Friday morning.

The vet said that there are a lot of dogs getting a gastro bug. Cassie came home Friday afternoon and was bouncing around and full of beans but have to wean her back onto food slowly as I believe the lining of her tummy was upset hence the brown colour of her vomit was a blood. I think we caught it in time and quite early on.

Hope your dog is OK and getting better now