Dog Attack

biker girl

I was watching a TV show during the week & the show had cctv footage of a dog attack........two "red zone" dogs on to a large sheppie type dog & it was not nice to watch :cry:

It left me wondering the question "what would you to try & defend/protect your own dog/s in a similar situation????

Seeing the footage left me with a awful feeling of helplessness watching the owner trying to kick these dogs off his own dog & made me think......... :cry:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it were my dogs being attacked I would do everything in my power to stop the other dog. If there was something around like a huge stick then I would beat the dog with all my might. I would kick. Poke it eyes out. ANYTHING really to save my dogs.

i have heard a small bottle of spray - water, airfreshener, im not sure what else you can use, but a small enough bottle for in your pocket

Don't bother unless its capsicum spray or a fire extinguisher.. you'll be wasting your time.

Two on one is damned hard to deal with. I'd be going in boots and all. I'd also be screaming for help, even though you'd probably be unlikely to get any. :cry:

my brother was in that situation.. three, or was it 4? greyhounds. certainly more than they are legally allowed to walk, pulled their trainer over and went after his shetland sheepdog. run certainly wasnt an option. he scooped her up and held her as high over his head as he could. the greyhounds trying to climb him.. being nearly 6 foot helped a bit and them being muzzled certainly had to hold the pose until the trainer caught up with them and pulled them off. his dog not panicking or trying to jump from his hands probably saved her life too.

"red zone dogs" - what are they??

when dogs reach to a level where they are no longer controllable. where all they see is that object and that's it.

Cesar Millan use his phrase a lot.

Thanks. It's a Cesar-ism, well that'll be why I've never heard of it :cry:

Dogs beyond the control of their owner attacking one of mine would (and have) got kicked in the stomach, throat and chest and the attentions of my own dog(s). I can imagine other breeds would require more protection than my Staffords do.

If your dog is attacked by a ''fighting'' breed dog the worst thing you can do is physically hit the dog - it only makes the dog think it's being attacked and needs to fight harder.

Pepper spray would stop most things.

Edited by Sandra777

kick them and yell and scream all you want

Hmm kicking with steel caps on worked pretty well against an Australian Cattle dog that thought it was tough.

Some breeds, definitely not. Screaming and yelling only adds to the dog's arousal levels. Usually the first thing you need to do is tell everyone to shut up!

i have heard a small bottle of spray - water, airfreshener, im not sure what else you can use, but a small enough bottle for in your pocket

Don't bother unless its capsicum spray or a fire extinguisher.. you'll be wasting your time.

Two on one is damned hard to deal with. I'd be going in boots and all. I'd also be screaming for help, even though you'd probably be unlikely to get any. :cry:

I was really lucky when Zoe was attacked (by a bull breed). I was having no luck getting it off by myself (using fibre tek lead, kicking etc), I was screaming for help and luckily the people whose house we were outside at the time came and helped me to get the dog off mine. If they had not come and helped I don't think she would have made it - the injuries were quite serious as it was :cry: They also supplied a stat dec on what they witnessed.

Hmm kicking with steel caps on worked pretty well against an Australian Cattle dog that thought it was tough.

I have one I can gauarantee you can kick all day and all you will get is a sore foot.A lot of people think they know what they will do until it comes to the real thing then they freak and nothing they can think of will work.

In those situations I find a gun works best.lol.Seriously you can beat them,kick them and yell and scream all you want use a hose it will do nothing.

I find a cattle prod is the easiest and most effective.

lol yeah because we all walk around with guns and cattle prods.....

Our oldest boy has been attacked five seperate times by different dogs in his 11 years :cry: All in public areas where dogs are required to be on leash.....he has been attacked by off leash dogs :cry: . He is small and white which makes him a target for prey driven dogs.

We have hit, kicked, beaten the other dogs off with sticks and nothing ever works until the dogs owner comes and pulls their dogs jaws off our dog.

Once they are in attack mode, thats it.

Whenever we see another dog off leash when we are walking, we walk in the oppposite direction as we know we cant stop anything if it happens.

It really is sad when you cant walk you dog for fear of being attacked.

Will full blast of water from the hose work in that situation?

Or they will be too lost in their fight that they wouldn't notice?

I had to try this when my OH's X bred attacked my Lab, didn't do a damn thing.

She got a bash over the head with a bit of wood, only thing that stunned her enough to break the grip she had on him :cry:

I would do anything I had to to protect my dogs.

I always try to run my dogs where they are safe - this scares the hell out of me. I was training my 2yr old boy at KCC Park just before our specialty for obedience when a large GS dog came out of nowhere and it was in attack mode. Lucky for me it made alot of noise as it came up behind us. No chance of me picking up my boy - he weighs approx 43 kgs but I did have him off lead working him so I grabbed his collar with one hand so he couldn't run away from me, ripped the lead off my shoulder and swung it with all my strength - the buckle hit this a---hole dog in the head (and yes I hope it damn well hurt) which clicked its brain back into focus - I kept swinging the lead so that it couldn't get into 'our' space and yelled at it - I then approached it in dominant mode and it took off.

Needless to say my boy didn't trial at the specialty and will probably take some time to feel comfortable working in obedience without looking over his shoulder - as the next time I tried to train him he went straight into avoidance :cry:. But at least he wasn't bitten and he didn't attack back - such a good boy.

I have had alot of run ins with aggressive dogs over the years I worked with ADT / NDTF and so probably have a clear head when it comes to reacting to this situation - still scared the hell out of me. I never want my dogs to be in this situation and never want them to have to defend themselves and learn how to fight.

Grab the back legs and pull up and back hard and fast (not just back). If you think you will break the dog's legs you are doing it right. Obviously, some people will not be able to do this and it won't help much if two or more dogs are attacking.