Reminder To Restrain Dogs In Cars

Austerra

Sad story, which could have been avoided.

I had one of our grooming clients ring to cancel her dog's appointment, I asked if would like to reschedule but she said the dog had been killed. As it was a young dog I was taken aback and, of course, asked what happened. She was driving along the Monash freeway with her driver side window open, the dog was in the back seat but unrestrained, it put its head over the back of her seat and out the window, next thing she knew it had fallen out the window at 100 kph!! :laugh:

When she stopped and ran back it did try to get up but only the front legs could move, it laid back down and passed away, other motorists stopped to helped her but nothing could be done :laugh:

So remember to restrain your dogs in the car (I believe this is actually law now in Vic, can someone confirm) especially in the hot weather when we do often drive with windows down.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh that's really awful. The poor woman and the poor dog. Both our doggies are tethered in the backseat. We try to use a restraint that gives them a little bit of room to move but as we like to have the windows down a little bit for them - we tether them because we notice that Elbie can push the window down. I don't think that there's a law here in the ACT that dogs have to be restrained while driving but I'd never forgive myself if the monsters were killed/injured because I didn't properly restrain them :laugh:

Very sad story. I imagine the owner feels terrible. This could have caused a major accident as the Monash is extremely busy multi laned road. I never leave my dogs unrestrained even though sometimes it is a hassle I would never want to go through this.

What an unfortunate incident for owner and dog.

Poor dog and owner.

It is law in NSW to have your dog restrained in the car. I have been pulled up for having Smooch on the front seat but as he had his safety belts on it was all good.

Actually the law in NSW is that the dog cannot be in the driver's lap or prevent them from having proper control of the car. Its Rule 297. It is not the law that the dog must be restrained in the car.

What an unfortunate incident for owner and dog.
Poor dog and owner.

It is law in NSW to have your dog restrained in the car. I have been pulled up for having Smooch on the front seat but as he had his safety belts on it was all good.

Actually the law in NSW is that the dog cannot be in the driver's lap or prevent them from having proper control of the car. Its Rule 297. It is not the law that the dog must be restrained in the car.

The police officer that pulled me up said they had to be restrained in the car, it was only a couple of months ago that I was pulled up and no Smooch wasn't able to get to me, he was in the passenger seat. I can only go on what the police told me.

Poor little dog; death by owner.

I once had a car behind me. Absolute ages, they were behind me, obviously going in the same direction. They were holding the dog halfway out the window. I was so angry that when we stopped at a red light, I got out, walked up to the car and suggested they put the dog in the back seat, buy a doggy seatbelt at the first opportunity because it was the law the dog be restrained, and described in detail what could happen to the dog if they dropped it or stopped suddenly. 'You love your dog, don't you?' I thundered at them. I think they were really shocked (I was shocked that I actually did it) and apologised to me, put the dog in the back. I said, 'Right then', walked back to my car, got in and drove off when the light turned green a few seconds later.

Edited by Sheridan

I know it was brought in recently that dogs must be restrained in cars now. I forget the actual fine but it is a fair bit and it is higher if the dog is unrestrained in a school zone 40km?

Not betting my life on it but I read it somewhere. My dogs are caged in the back now and so much safer plus less hassle than harnesses.

I am surprised at the number of people I know who let dogs just get in the car without containment. Even people who love their dogs seem to not really think it thru.

I had a friend who had 4 little fluffy dogs. When she lost one I asked how? She said that she had been doing a U -turn nearly at a standstill and one dog jumped out the window and broke its neck. Very unlucky and a hard way to learn.

Very sad but this unfortunate dog owner is not alone.

How heartbreaking :laugh: I would be devastated if that happened. I'm sure this owner was.

Saxon has always been strapped in, even the very first day I got him he was in a carry cage with the seatbelt around it. We are now trying a harness that clips to a lead looped around the foot of front seat, he sits in the rear footwell. But until recently he had a booster seat on the back seat so he could see out the window. He still wore the harness and was clipped to the seatbelt.

He LOVES having the wind in his hair so I would open the window a bit so he could feel the airflow but I always worried (and still worry when I see dogs with their heads out the window) that some random thing might blow past and hit him in the head and hurt him :laugh: He's on the floor now coz he's too noisy looking out the window.

I've also seen a small dog jump/fall out a window in the carpark of the local dog park when the car was moving, I hope it was ok, the owners scooped it up and drove off :laugh:

I also worry about a dog going flying within the car in a sudden stop or accident, injuring dog and/or human passengers. I just totally agree - restrain your dogs!!

Poor little dog; death by owner.

I once had a car behind me. Absolute ages, they were behind me, obviously going in the same direction. They were holding the dog halfway out the window. I was so angry that when we stopped at a red light, I got out, walked up to the car and suggested they put the dog in the back seat, buy a doggy seatbelt at the first opportunity because it was the law the dog be restrained, and described in detail what could happen to the dog if they dropped it or stopped suddenly. 'You love your dog, don't you?' I thundered at them. I think they were really shocked (I was shocked that I actually did it) and apologised to me, put the dog in the back. I said, 'Right then', walked back to my car, got in and drove off when the light turned green a few seconds later.

:laugh::laugh:

:rofl: I feel embarrassed to say that we don't restrain Hugo. He sleeps in my lap whenever we drive anywhere. Of course I'm not stupid enough to open the windows if he's in my lap unrestrained though.