Help - Whats A Moddle ?

Bisart Dobes

I know my dogs are not pure breed dogs and I dont pretent they are its just easier to say and these day's people know exactly what I mean so I dont even have to correct myself.

You are perpetuating the incorrect belief that "spoodles" are a real breed. You should make the effort to explain to people they crossbreeds.

x2

I don't bother calling my staffy/norfolk mix a "Staffolk," I just say "he's a staffy cross." :eek:

And our Golden X Border is not called a Coltriever, but we call her a "Border cross" or "goldy cross" depending on who we talk to :eek:

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason I posted in this thread is to just let people know it is a nickname for the cross breed and most people know that. When people do ask me if my dogs are pure breed I tell them of course not their mother is a cocker and father a poodle and somewhere along the line a owner got fed up saying all that and nicknamed them Spoodles!

It's not a nickname, it's the name crossbreeders gave the cross to make them sound like a real breed. It's a designer dog name, same as moodle, groodle, pugalier, and all the other silly names. Sadly, when they are given such a name, it convinces those who don't understand about registered purebreeds, that they are in fact, a real breed.

We had some painters in to do quotes a little while ago and one of them was quite excited to see we had cresties. He went on to tell us he had a crestie too. I asked if it had a pedigree (because I was interested to see if it was related to ours) and he said that it did, because both parents were purebred, crestie and maltese. :eek: At least he didn't call it a crested malt or something.

I have to say that when the DD names first started being tossed around I also thought they were just cute nick names for cross bred dogs, and most people back then that I spoke to used them like that, but now there are so many people who really believe they have pure bred dogs just because the two parents were pure bred. It's scary that people can be taken in like that. Obviously they only think 'crossbreed' when there are so many breeds mixed in there that you can't reasonably pick one.

Wow, there are some serious "Breed" snobs on here (as well as some really nice helpfull people). I have a moodle, or would they have me say maltese terrier, poodle cross everytime someone asks me what my dog is?

It was bought from the family who bred it not from a pet shop or puppy farm. It is one of the smartest dogs I have owned, has never been sick in its life, does poos the size of a five cent piece and doesnt shed or malt.

Yup, it's a mutt and a bloody good one at that. Now I'm going to get it a friend, a pure bred by the way, lets hope the new girl will actually speak to the Moodle cos if it doesn't she wont share any of her local knwledge. :eek:

Wow, there are some serious "Breed" snobs on here (as well as some really nice helpfull people). I have a moodle, or would they have me say maltese terrier, poodle cross everytime someone asks me what my dog is?

It was bought from the family who bred it not from a pet shop or puppy farm. It is one of the smartest dogs I have owned, has never been sick in its life, does poos the size of a five cent piece and doesnt shed or malt.

Yup, it's a mutt and a bloody good one at that. Now I'm going to get it a friend, a pure bred by the way, lets hope the new girl will actually speak to the Moodle cos if it doesn't she wont share any of her local knwledge. :eek:

I think you'll find that is because this is a Pure Bred Dog Forum, not snobs but defenders of pure bred animals. Most people on here will hold issue with those who vehemently defend their "oodle" as a pure bred.

This is not to say that there aren't many a fantastic cross breeds out there, but they are just that - cross breeds. The perpetuation of the myth that an oodle is worth $$ and is of a better standard than a pure bred is what this forum is trying to prevent.

Yes, you should call your dog what it is - a maltese x poodle, or a poodle x or a maltese x. There is no such breed as a moodle.

Edited by KumaAkita

What is a Maltese terrier?

There are no breed snobs - that is an offensive thing to say, especially on a purebred forum - there are just people who constantly need to clarify that there is a world of difference between recognized purebreds, and designer crossbred dogs with silly names. It's just education, nothing more.

And yes, there is no such breed as a Maltese Terrier. Maltese are not terriers, they are just Maltese. You do not have a "moodle" you have a maltese cross poodle. If you cannot accept that, you probably need to find a forum where silly designer names are accepted, but the rules here state that they are not :eek:

What is a Maltese terrier?

There is a whole website dedicated and named after that, the link I will not include here but you can find it by putting the M word and T word into a popular search engine.

So a "Maltese" dog is not actually a terrier?

Or is Maltese Terrier actually a mis scribing of "Maltese Terror" ie what happens when you get a small white dog of Maltese descent - and don't train it.

I don't think anyone is implying that the spoodles etc are a different SPECIES to pure breed dogs. As there are hundreds of pure breeds it's no wonder that there is confusion. You only have to go to a show to see that the Breeders often don't agree on what is correct by the variety of type in the showring.

This is clearly a pure breed forum and there is enough to discuss with all the wonderful and interesting different breeds. I'd love to see more discussion about the pure breeds instead of all the silliness of designer dog/mongrel names.

If by Breed snobs you mean people who hate to see wonderful dog breeds being bred and 'created' then sold for more money then necessary. Or do you mean people who are strongly opposed to backyard breeders who sell lies to unsuspecting people ''xxx is healthier then x because the breeding rules them out'' etc. So yes on a Purebred forum we do like to discuss purebred dogs ( and cross bred dogs are referred to as cross bred rather then a fancy name).

Although that said, I think a fair few of us growing up would have owned a cross breed dog. Heck the dog which inspired my love of German Shepherds was a GSD x Kelpie my parents rescued from a pound before I was born. So just because we own pure bred dogs and advocate purchasing purebred dogs from reputable breeders does not mean we have not loved a cross bred dog.

I think the main issue comes from people selling these cross breed dogs with a fancy name and false promises for higher prices then they are worth. My friend has a Labrador x Kelpie x Curly Coat Retriever..it was an oops litter and he paid $50 for the dog. The dog is a wonderful dog, well trained, and for the love she has brought him is invaluable. However...she is not one breed, and calling her a fancy name in order to sell her for a higher price would have been wrong in my opinion.

Yup, it's a mutt and a bloody good one at that. Now I'm going to get it a friend, a pure bred by the way, lets hope the new girl will actually speak to the Moodle cos if it doesn't she wont share any of her local knwledge. :thumbsup:

If by Breed snobs you mean people who hate to see wonderful dog breeds being bred and 'created' then sold for more money then necessary. Or do you mean people who are strongly opposed to backyard breeders who sell lies to unsuspecting people ''xxx is healthier then x because the breeding rules them out'' etc. So yes on a Purebred forum we do like to discuss purebred dogs ( and cross bred dogs are referred to as cross bred rather then a fancy name).

Although that said, I think a fair few of us growing up would have owned a cross breed dog. Heck the dog which inspired my love of German Shepherds was a GSD x Kelpie my parents rescued from a pound before I was born. So just because we own pure bred dogs and advocate purchasing purebred dogs from reputable breeders does not mean we have not loved a cross bred dog.

I think the main issue comes from people selling these cross breed dogs with a fancy name and false promises for higher prices then they are worth. My friend has a Labrador x Kelpie x Curly Coat Retriever..it was an oops litter and he paid $50 for the dog. The dog is a wonderful dog, well trained, and for the love she has brought him is invaluable. However...she is not one breed, and calling her a fancy name in order to sell her for a higher price would have been wrong in my opinion.

:):clap: :clap:

Yup, it's a mutt and a bloody good one at that. Now I'm going to get it a friend, a pure bred by the way, lets hope the new girl will actually speak to the Moodle cos if it doesn't she wont share any of her local knwledge. :thumbsup:

Perhaps snob was a bit too emotive a word for some people, it was meant tongue in cheeck. I actually joined this forum to seek advice on a pure bred dog which I am about to buy, which is the subject of another thread. The only reason I even commented on this thread was in answer to the question "what is a moodle" because I have one.

I have been a member of hundreds of forums over the last 20 years and in almost every case I have seen people who blindly defend their beliefs, then there are those who educate the newbies and take the time to explain their topic without making the uninitiated feel like a leper. This forum is no different, there are both.

Anyway, Ive got a business to run, a family to feed and a new dog to buy so I'm getting on with my life, bless you and all who sail with you.

I feel left out.... ;)

I have always called my Dane x "a dane cross" when I could have had a fancy name for her........

I need a new name for her so I can join the "elite" idiots...... :eek:

She is a Dane crossed with an English pointer...... a "Pointed Dane" maybe......

I need some ideas........

Pone? Pane? How about change the spelling and make it a Pain?

Oh no wait, that's my Husky. :wave:

:) :) Thats a perfect name for her........ she is a total pain....... ;) :rofl:

Yup, it's a mutt and a bloody good one at that. Now I'm going to get it a friend, a pure bred by the way, lets hope the new girl will actually speak to the Moodle cos if it doesn't she wont share any of her local knwledge. :mad

;) :confused::laugh:

x2 :(

'breed snob' and proud :vomit:

I am another one with a kick ass mutt!! hes a pain in the ass but i love him.. people ask if he is a rotti cos god knows he looks like one and i say yes a rotti cross. if they ask further i tell them if not they leave it at that and be done with it

regardless of his breeding i love him all the same and im glad to have been able to give him a loving home (rescued him from a home where he lived in a shed the had broken glass all over the floor) and have him as part of our family..

over here we also use the term SPCA special for the crossbreds..

x2 :(

'breed snob' and proud :confused:

:mad Same here. I dont find that offensive at all. Ofcourse we're breed snobs on this purebreed dog forum ;) I'm sure you'd find crossbreed snobs on a crossbreed forum. Each to their own.

They wrote 'Moddle' not Moodle - regardless its a mutt obviously - I just wanted an idea of possible breeds b4 I placed a puppy with them - ideal family just this one query and they are interstate so cannot visit them to check.

Ah yes a Moddle.

From the same people that brought you:

King Charles Cavalier Spaniels

Shit Zu's

Brittany Spaniels

and

Maltese Terriers

:mad

There is no Spaniel in Brittany in most cases including Australia but there are exceptions. Brittany is still called a Brittany Spaniel in Canada for example, their breed standard names the breed as Spaniel (Brittany), and there are quite a few Brittany people there so in some parts they are known as Brittany Spaniels :( Doesn't make it a cross bred dog.

If you look at the website for the French Brittany club the name of the FCI standard is "FCI-Standard N° 95 / 05. 05. 2003 / GB - BRITTANY SPANIEL (Epagneul Breton) - ORIGIN: France", although the breed is called Epagneul Breton

My pet hate with the Spaniel in the name is that people think they are stupid dogs because they are Spaniels because they are far from stupid. Mind you I don't think Spaniels are stupid at all either

Ok there is not a new mutt combo - it was supposed to be Moodle :( - as he put it " 'a mutt' - typo, big fingers and small keyboard " :thumbsup: .

But the great thing is that they have decided to have a purebred so that is fantastic, they have chosen which boy they want and are now deciding on names. So exciting to have people get so much pleasure out of this process - this is one of the nice parts of being a breeder.